Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
Last time we brought back 4 loaves of Maltese bread,frozen cheese and pea cakes and 2 bottles of red wine bought from guy up at Dingli cliffs.
My Mum has just brought home a jar of lovely marmalade - made from Seville oranges so nice and bitter. She has brought home honey for us before but the price has rocketed! She also brings me a supply of ground almonds as they seem to be considerably cheaper although not so 'almondy'.

Pippa
Now let me see........

Lots of red wine including cartons, (though Delicata cabernet sauvignon is my favourite), Bajtra cactus liqueur, nougat, aniseed liqueur, pea cakes, honey rings, - oh and one of the cannons from outside the St John Co-Cathedral! :hmmm

Trev
Nougat for girls at work (not enough, cos once I tasted it, it was gorgeous!). I love their big biscuits and tend to eat them for breakfast over there (wondered why I had put on two stone :lol: Fallen in love with pastizzi. Would dearly love to bring back some stray cats, but know that is impossible.
Oh yep forgot the honey rings.I dont like them so hubby has them all to himself.
Jothebookworm,pastizzi dont ya just love them,my hips dont though.If i lived in Malta i would be the size of a house in no time eating these all day. :shock:
All the above and more (bar the canon & cat). TIGER spices especially meat, rabbit, pizza, pasta and fish. Prickly Pear (when in season) brought imports back this time, but best of all Maltese sausages.....loads of them.
amongst other things i bring back lots of happy memories

alan
Good topic Ingliza, we generally bring back the following:

Galletti's
Gbejna
Hobz from the bakers in Sliema
Maltese sausages from our favourite butcher in Sliema
Annisette
Fruit wines
Marsovin white
Marsala wine
Parmesan, Romano, or Grano Padano cheese for grating on pasta
Onion Flakes, Rabbit seasoning, Garlic flakes all from the Suq in Valletta
Various little pots of herbs and spices from Marsaxlokk market
Bottle of J&B
Maltese olive oil
Blue Label
Hopleaf
Cisk
Lacto
Kitchen utensils from SISA Malta Sliema
5 or 6 copies of The Times of Malta

And as Alan quite rightly said very happy memories of wonderfull days and nights in magical Malta.

Here's to the next time :glynis
Sliema2
Jojouk,with you on pastizzi. Can't believe I'd been to Malta three times before trying them. Like the pea ones better than the cheese. The best I tried was in that cafe in Mdina, the one that has tables way up high over looking the valley. Was a very windy day so the flakey pastry blew about a bit!

Always bring back glass, Phoenician is my favourite, lots of postcards and have loads of books on Malta i.e Fortress Malta, Kapillan of Malta & Jukebox Queen of Malta, so if anyone wants a review, just let me know! :lol:

I'm getting excited, only 8 weeks to go. Going to Xemxija this time, further up the coast, got another bargain, £215 each for 2 weeks s/c

Hope you all having nice evening
cartons of red wine, hopleaf and cisk ,once brought back some maltese liqueur cant remember the name but i think it tasted a bit like benedictine :) lorna
Galletti's
Gbejna
Hobz from the bakers in Sliema
Maltese sausages from our favourite butcher in Sliema
Annisette
Fruit wines
Marsovin white
Marsala wine
Parmesan, Romano, or Grano Padano cheese for grating on pasta
Onion Flakes, Rabbit seasoning, Garlic flakes all from the Suq in Valletta
Various little pots of herbs and spices from Marsaxlokk market
Bottle of J&B
Maltese olive oil
Blue Label
Hopleaf
Cisk
Lacto
Kitchen utensils from SISA Malta Sliema
5 or 6 copies of The Times of Malta

You must have one h*ll of an excess luggage charge Sliema2 :lol:
My suitcase is loaded up to the limit with wine. The other item which I'm sure everone will think strange is kitchen roll. n' the misses always insist on getting the huge rolls that they have over there because they last at least 4 times more then the ones over here!!! :?
Hi all .I usualy take parking fines and last time a fine for overtaking an old Bedford lorry spewing out black clouds of carbon on Mistra valley road. Plod were watching just before the roundabout and got me. Also an empty wallet and loads of fond memories. Cheers Dave
no-one takes back Gozo honey and Gozo salt ?

Sliema2 - lacto - a quality choice ! mix it with cisk export to make the closest to a real ale I can get there ! - I go for a 50:50 blend, the wife 25:75 (more cisk than lacto)
Hi Graham, no excess luggage we just have good packing skills and good suitcases and hand luggage, the bottles go in the hand luggage the other bits go in the cases we don't take to much luggage on holiday just enough, let's be honest with skillfull wearing of underpants and socks any chap worth his salt can get by for 8 days with only one pair of each which saves room for other more important smuggling :wink: .

Hi Mark, as a real ale drinker I really like Lacto as it is one of it's last type of beers in the world, as you know it is an old fashioned stout that is primed with milk sugars hence it's name, I wish it was a bit stronger though you need a good few bottles before you get a bit of a buzz out of it, I know people in Malta who use it as a marinade for fenek now that sounds nice, anyway mate Friday night is chap's night out so we are off in to town to quaff as much real ale as we can, plus it's St Patrick's day so I must have my obligitary few pints of Guinness with Irish Whiskey chasers.

Slainte
Sliema2
ah real ale, one of the few things I miss from the UK

Fullers ESB
Nethergate Old Growler
Adnams Broadside
Green King Abbot

(I think you can guess which region of the UK I'm from)

I'm sorry, but as nice as Hopleaf extra is, its not even close !
Sliema2

let's be honest with skillfull wearing of underpants and socks any chap worth his salt can get by for 8 days with only one pair of each which saves room for other more important smuggling

I can see where you are coming from here, if you go commando you won't even need one pair :shock:
Maltese wine bottles are a problem - because they are recycled they are made out of thicker glass and consequently are heavy. We weighed an empty one recently and it weighed 1.25 lbs! If the bottles were lighter we could bring back more wine! :yipee

Someone told my wife when she was over in Malta recently that there was a 4 litre per person limit on wine you could bring out of Malta. :omg I thought that now that Malta was in the EU you could bring out much more. Does anyone know what the limit is??

Trev
Hi Trev

Malta is treated the same as existing EU members - there is no limit "provided these are carried by you and are for your own use - which includes gifts" - you maybe questioned about the personal bit if its more than 90 litres - good luck in carrying that much in hand luggage !

having said that, there could be a limit imposed by the airline for safety reasons
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.