Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Hi! I've just read about that too. Miziros posted me on my forum topic stating that 400 people in scala were evacuated just for precautionary measures and everything is back to normal. Hopefully should be ok. I know i'm going 5 aug can't wait. Hope this helps!! Which part are you going to?
Thanks for that - we're going to Scala!! Reassuring to hear it was only a precautionary move
Everything is back to normal now although the fires did come VERY close to some hotels and apartments in the Skala and Katelios areas.
Lots of the small hill villages did suffer very badly and some property was destroyed.
I have seen the remnants of many small fires during my many visits to Kefalonia but nothing anywhere near the scale of this. It is heartbreaking. :cry:
However, the locals have picked themselves up, dusted themselves down and it is business as usual.They have suffered far worse in the past but they need our support more than ever now.
Take a look at this link to see photographs of the scale of the devastation. They were taken by someone who lives on the island.

http://z15.invisionfree.com/GoingGreek/index.php?showtopic=3532

John
The fires in skala were terrible we were staying at the Anassa Hotel and we thought we were going to die it was so bad but that was all thanks to Thomsons who left us stranded in the resort with no way to get out no coaches to get us out. Thanks to all at the Anassa who were brilliant and turned it all round within 24 hours.
Skala itself is all back to normal but a lot of the locals lost everything it was so sad for them. But they were all there the next morning making sure all the holiday makers were ok and looked after, which was more than thomsons did. They didnt even know if we were alive as no register was taken we didnt see a rep until 2 days after!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.