Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
kenya posts
67 Posts
Many thanks Shelley. We are actually going to Tanzania but I like to keep recommended safari operators on file. My husband and I 'lead' small groups to East and South Africa out of Canada and it is always good to know who is reliable and gives excellent service. DM sound great.
Hi magmum,
the email address you want is dmtours@africaonline.co.ke
I am sure you will be more than satisfied with every aspect of booking anything through this company.
Sue.
Thank you Sue. I look forward to having the opportunty to do that.
Hi..I have just posted my review for a holiday we had to the Voyager resort.

We did a 3 day/4 night safari first (Fanstastic !!) then 11 days in the hotel.

As this was the first time we have done anything like this for a holiday I used this site to gain as much information as I could before going - everyone being truly brilliant with advice etc.. - certainly helped with the holiday.

Therefore I would like to pass on my knowledge and experience to those who are visiting in the future, so please feel free to e-mail/PM etc at your will with any questions and I will try to help...

Quite a few queries come regarding weddings - there were 2 large Indian weddings a 3 English weddings in our hotel (Voyager) - so I could perhaps give people and idea of what we saw etc.. all different and looked very well organised

Many thanks

Tina x
And HERE it is for everyone to read!
Well done on a great report. I have never considered Kenya before but the other half has mentioned it. Maybe I'll start looking!
Thanks Fiona....it is certainly worth going...
I just wanted to second that. There is nowhere else in the world which compares in atmosphere and beauty with East Africa. All serious travellers should go there at least once and I'm willing to bet it won't be the last time. I grew up in East and South and then went to East and West as an adult to work. I now live in Canada, which I love, but every two years or so back I go to Africa. Both Kenya and Tanzania are breathtaking in their beauty, the excellence of their game parks and the attraction of their coast lines. I spent alot of my childhood in Zanzibar and would like to recommend it as a place to relax and explore after a safari; it has history, architecture and the most gorgeous Indian ocean beaches. Sorry to rave but Africa, almost anywhere, is a passion with me!
Hi there, After a lot of pondering we have decided to change our holiday from the bamburi beach hotel in november. I think if we could have had time away on safari and still had a nice beach holiday we would be ok but with a 2 year old we couldnt go on safari and after the documentry I saw about Bamburi beach and the dozens and dozens of beach traders I felt us going would be a waste of time. After all what is the point of going all that way to sit in the hotel for 2 weeks and not set foot in the indian ocean. Im just glad we hadnt had any jabs or bought out visas yet. We will be going to Cuba insted but I really hope that everyone due to go to Kenya has a lovely time. Maybe we'll venture that way when the kids are older. Happy holidays :)
Thanks Magmum.
We had already booked bamburi, but changed it to Cuba yesterday. We were charged to change but never mind. We went to Cuba in may and loved it. It is a shame about kenya but we see it a pointless holiday to be sat in a hotel for 2 weeks. We may as well have gone to the canaries. Like I said maybe in a few years when we are able to do a bit more with a bit more peace of mind. My trouble is I'm gready. I want to go every where and now! Lol!!
We have just returned from Kenya. We did a 3 night/4 day safari - and it was fantastic.

We visited Tsavo east - Ambrolesi - Tasova West -also as an extra went to a Masi warrior village.

We stayed in Voi lodge - open seating areas loking over a waterhole - visited constantly by zebra etc..baboons in the lodge grounds - and yes one small monkey did attack some-one's afternoon tea !!.

We also stayed in Serena Lodge - dining is inside - but views again to die for..my children seemed to like this one best !

Finally we stayed at the Kalingui Lodge - everyone in our group had a room which overlooked the massive watering hole. The restaurant is open veranda - again overlooking this - and is constantly full of life. You must stay up until at least 10.30 at night - an amazing sight - all of a sudden a massive herd of buffalo descended and it looked like a row of ants coming down !! - must have been a couple of hundred - then 2 large elephants appeared followed shortly by more..you would never forget this sight. The waiters told us this happened every evening.. Then at 3 .00 in the morning my hubby woke and there was a massive herd of elephants at the watering hole - we sat outside on our balcony and took in the amazing sight (my hubbby at one stage thought he heard the roar of a lion !! - too much drink probably !! - we went in just in case and watched from behind closed doors)

All staff etc.. were the most helpful you can imagine - and food was on a buffet service - apart from Serena where there was a fixed evening menu.

The guides we had for the safari were also excellent - they operate a type of CB radio system so if one bus sees something the others are alerted and you go speeding off - this does not disturb the animals at all - at 7.30 one morning 5 buses were in the road as a pride of lions and cubs (18 of them !!) passed in front of us - and settled in the road !!

Also one afternnon there was the same buses as we atched a leopard stalk and go for the kill at a herdof Zebra (and he also crossed in front of the buses on the road as if we weren't there !!)

We saw loads of elephants/zebra/ our fair share of lions on each day/buffalo/deer etc/ crocodiles/hippos/hyenas - the only thing we didn/t catch was hippo.

It is a must if you go to Kenya. We booked ours through the tour company before we went (Cosmos)

Just a word of warning - if you book a Safari which starts at the beginning of your holiday then pack a seperate case as when you arrive at the aiport you go straight to the buses - the company then make sure the rest of your cases go to your hotels (and they did with no problems !!)

We went to the Voyager hotel afterwards - other people in our group went to Whitesands/Neptune Paradise - and no-one had any complaints. One couple was getting married at Neptune - 2 others on Honeymoon.

Please feel free to contact with any queries etc..

Tina x
Hi Micky, you may remember that we had also booked for the Bamburi Beach Hotel for February next year. Well, we've also had second thoughts and will definitely be changing our holiday. Thank god Eclipse/First Choice let you do this without too much hassle!!! The situation with malaria tablets, yellow fever, visa's and all the stuff I've read about hassle from the beach touts didn't seem worth it for a one week holiday. Haven't decided where we'll be going instead yet but we'll probably play it safe and go to Gran Canaria in February or Cyprus in May. A bit unadventurous compared to Kenya, but for a weeks holiday we just want a rest not a load of hassle :wink:
Can i just say that i'd rather be in kenya any day with friendly locals, experiencing a totally dofferent culture, visiting african villages and making new friends than being hassled by pushy eurpoean touts trying to get me into their restaurant / bar and to buy their trips! give me kenya any day over the canaries, and ive only been to fuerteventura - i hear that rest are worse for hassle!!!

if i can do it alone with a 6 year old for 2 weeks then anyone can! kenya isnt full of hassle, you just have to be aware that the locals are curious, and like to learn. The beach boys take notice of a cheeky grin and a 'no thankyou', but on the other hand, many of their goods are much cheaper than in the shops! You can get out and about, i frequently went into the town and shopped with the locals at the local market, and in the local shops!

kenya is an experience not to be missed!

Caroline & Kirsten :wave
Oooh Caroline, I feel like I've been given a slapped wrist for chickening out on Kenya :lol: Each to their own eh?.... we all have different priorities when we're choosing a holiday don't we :shrug After weighing up the pro's and con's I just don't feel that Kenya's for us this time.
Hi Retsina. Did first choice charge you to change? We had to pay £30 each. Still relieved we have though. I have nothing against Kenya and would love to go there but I dont think that it would suit our type of holiday while our kids are so small (youngest is 2). Also I do think that when you book a holiday like this the tour operator should inform people of the approximate cost to hidden extra's such as yellow fever, malaria etc. Like I said maybe in a few years we'll go but not right now. Good luck with your next holiday choice.
Hi Mickey, yes, First Choice will be charging us to change holidays, I phoned them to enquire whether it would be possible and they told me yes, and the maximum charge per passenger is £30. If we stick with the same departure date, which we would do if we decide on Gran Canaria in February the charge will only be £15 per passenger.
Like you, I have nothing against Kenya either, though admittedly the stories I've read about beach touts did worry me a bit. I just don't think it's worth going all that way, 9 hour flight, taking the malaria tabs etc etc for a weeks holiday. I shouldn't really have booked it in the first place but the price was just so amazing when I booked it won me over, only £403 each AI which is the same price you can pay (or cheaper) for the Canaries. I bet the weather is better and more reliable in Kenya too. Oh well, a lesson learnt I suppose. We'll look at Kenya again when we have two weeks to spare.
Hi Retsina.
Yes same here about the feeling of it being a bit of a waste. You could be anywhere in the world if all you do is sit in the hotel. Also it is about individual needs. What might be ok for one family may not be for another. What about Cuba? we managed to get the 2 weeks for the same money as kenya (although first choice/eclipse dont do a week only). Like you said lesson learnt here I suppose.
:lol: First time into this forum...usually find me in General or India! Questions for all you addicts! :lol: Our son got married on Saturday...and they are off on Safari - Lake Naivasha, Lake Nakuru National Park, Samburu National Reserve, drive to Sagana, Tsavo East national Park, Usambara Mountains then drive to Mombasa. Anybody know the night time temperatures from 10th September for 2weeks - will it drop below +5 degrees and any other tips or hints you can give him!!!
Thank you!!!! :wave
Knitter46

I went to Voyager approx 2 weeks ago - there is a review in Other destinations on Hotel reviews.

Tina x
Am going in November, does the hotel provide nets? :?: Also asked this before (no replies) are ther any bars restaurants / nightlife around the area?
Cheers Harry :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.