Indian Ocean inc. Maldives/Mauritius & India Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in India and Indian Ocean.
Hi
Well, I cant speak for Sri Lanka or The Maldives, because I have never been. But I have been to Kerela, 1998, and loved it. It was out first time in India and didnt knoiw what to expect, but we loved it. We now go to Goa, but we will go back to Kerela one day. We stayed in Kovallam, at the Sumadra Hotel and it was bliss. Kovallam is lovely lots of good food, things to do and see. We did find it then, to be quiet quiet, and at the time it was nothing like Goa is today. The sea was very rough and in place very dangerous, the current was very strong, I was sat at thewaters edge and I am not a small woman by no means, and the sea pulled me in and flipped me over before spitting me back out. But we were talking to a couple who used to go to Goa and they said they felt Kerela had cottoned on to the tourists quicker than at Goa and asked where they prefered they said both as each had its own charm. Compared to Goa things were a little more expensive, but compared to what you pay for things at home, still very cheap. As for drink, we didnt have a problem with beer, but if you wanted spirits then you could only buy from Government owned Hotels. But like I said this was all back in 1998 so it could of all changed. But personaly even though we go to Goa now, Kerela is and will always be special to me and I will return one day. I hope you enjoy your trip no matter where you end up.
Thanks very much for your reply Tippie. I was a little dissapointed with the lack of response to my post. Maybe im spolit posting on the Goa forum Im used to a quick reply. :wink: Im so torn at the moment as much as i love Goa the time has come for a change,so your view of Kerala realy helps. I think its either Kerala or Sri lanka but who knows Its a big wide world out there. Thanks again.
Hi, We have just come back from Kerala and thought it was wonderful,we both dive but there is no diving there we did ask but were told that there was nothing to see. We found it easy to get a drink in most places but twice we couldn't, the food was wonderful. We stayed just outside Kovalam at the Travencore heritage which is lovely but at night we went into the town to eat you could eat at the hotel but we prefer to try differant places. We have also been to Sri-Lanka and the Maldives both are also lovely and you can dive there. We did two weeks in Sri-Lanka and a week in the Maldives ,the Maldives are fairly full of couples but there were a few divers on there own. We stayed in Bentota in Sri-Lanka which was very nice but hit by the tsunami so I don't know what it is like now, our hotel is still closed. We stayed at Karamathi in the Maldives which is one of the bigger islands and may be better for you than a tiny one, Iwould imagine they are all couples.
thanks Judy thats really helpful, i think its going to be kerala now im just going to keep my eyes open for a good deal.

thanks again
There were plenty of singles diving in the Maldives every trip I've been on so no problems in finding a buddy. the diving is FAB and it's a great way to meet people to stp yourself from becoming too isolated.

Yes, there are a lot of couples, but if you were to stay in one of the north Male atoll islands,(not too far from Male) there are also many islands that have air crew in residence, short-stayers from places like dubai etc and that stops things becoming too "lovey-dovey"
Hi,

Was in kerala eighteen months ago and you wont be disappointed with the food we stayed at the uday samurda beach hotel and there are some fantastic restaurants around there on the beach there is the waters edge nothing to look at but the food is very good, please try the 'balti butter fish special' its really nice and on the road into the hotel there is a restaurant called ' veronica's' which once again is out of this world food.

For swimming if you go adjacent to the le meridan hotel on kavolam beach <not lighthouse beach> you can safely swim here with no problems and this is where the local fishermen take out the tourists on the raft/boats as the rocks must protect it from the waves.

If you go down to lighthouse beach have a look at the german bakery, nice views over the beach and the food is also nice as is fusion bar/restaurant, but beware the toilet is a hole in the floor, its nicely tiled and clean but could be akward espiecally for women.
Also have a look at http://www.indiamike.com and click under minor destinations and then click on kerala and you should be able to get some more information on there.

Getting drinks is no problem either in beachside bars & restaurants, at the moment i am debating to go back either to goa or kerala for next xmas. :roll:

Have a nice time. :lol:
Apologies read 'veronica's. for molly's restaurant. 8) :lol:
I've just returned from Kerala, staying as a single male (i tagged a week onto the end of a cricket tour after mates went home).
I stayed at Uday Sumadhra and it was all couples, but travelled to Kovalam Beach where there were quite a few single women, men, and backpackers. There was more chance of speaking to people in the restaurants/internet cafes there than in the hotel, where everyone just plonks themselves by the pool all day.

One thing that i picked up on (and is mentioned now in Lonely Planet India), is that the area round Kovalam is getting a reputation as a groping hotspot. Because it's mainly a Moslem place, the men seem to be obsessed with the idea of white women travelling unchaperoned. Taxi drivers were a problem, every single one asked me about my girlfriend at home, ogled every white woman we drove past, and one even asked me if i'd stop and chat up a couple of white girls so he could have one too! At first it was a joke, but then it dawned on me that the majority were actually sex mad and made me feel a bit uncomfortable. If you're used to travelling alone it might not be a problem...but the constant questions surprised me.
Perhaps travelling as couples other people don't get to see this side of kerala?

Cochin had a much better atmosphere than Kovalam I thought, and Fort Cochin is a great place to visit for a few days as a single..it's very quiet, safe and has a great character. Bookmark Raintree Lodge and look it up on Tripadvisor reviews...superb little place.

Can't imagine there'd be much there for divers, the seas's very rough and lacks the calm waters of Thailand or Maldives.
Beer's not a problem anymore, everywhere i went sold it. Occasionally if you're in public view, it gets served in a teapot and mug, or they just stick the bottle on the floor under your table for discretion.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.