Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
Hi Pippa,

Yep what a really great place to have an medical operation.

The only drawback is that like my mum who's 85, she had a total knee replacement in the UK a couple of years ago and she's had many problems since then! I do think this operation no matter where it's carried out is a bit hit or miss and I would hope that your mum's operation is successful and if not then she would not blame the fact that she chose to have the surgery in Malta.

We were staying at the Fortina during June/July this year and I did notice that they offered all sorts of treatments/personal operations. What a place to recover in!!!

Trev
She is now going to have keyhole surgery (arthroscopy?) instead to see if that helps - although she may still need the knee replacement at some time in the future. Hopefully that will be done in the next 2 months or so and then she can have her usual Jan/Feb holiday in Malta to get over it!

Pippa
Only just seen this thread... trev is right, Total knee replacement CAN be a bit "dodgy" at times, I find more "hiccups" with knees than hips... hope the Arthroscopic treatment works, and if it does, does your mum really need her knee replacing?
ATB,J.
Pippa wrote:
She is now going to have keyhole surgery (arthroscopy?) instead to see if that helps

Pippa

I underwent partial knee replacements to both knees 2 years ago, I am surprised that if a surgeon thinks your mother needs total replacements an arthroscopy would sort the problems. (I have no medical training - just several knee proceedures!
Feebee, I AM an Qrthopaedic Consultant.... Some surgeons offer a 'scope and washout as a "temporary respite" - I don't... there is NO proven value other than possibly placebo, and the (often elderly) patient is subjected to a proceedue that, at best, is of limited/temporary benefit....

(see NICE guidelines)

ATB,J.
merseygull wrote:
Feebee, I AM an Qrthopaedic Consultant.... Some surgeons offer a 'scope and washout as a "temporary respite" - I don't... there is NO proven value other than possibly placebo,

(see NICE guidelines)

ATB,J.

I am not sure if you thought I was advocating the "washout" I wasn't, sorry I can't work out if we were agreeing or not.
Feebee, your reasoning is absolutely correct!!

ATB,J.
Mum is having the arthroscopy this week. They have said that in time she will need both a knee and hip (same side) replacement. They said that she should see some improvement within a week and that the effects could last up to a year.

At least now she can look forward to me booking her 2 weeks in Malta next year!
"They said that she should see some improvement within a week and that the effects could last up to a year. "

Within a week? - it'll take her at least TWO to get over it...

Last up to a year? ... pure guesswork

IMPO

J
I had an arthroscopy about 5 years ago and it made matters worse.
I have since had total replacement to both knees (done in the UK) and both are doing fine.
Hope all goes well for your mom Pippa.

Going to Malta again next Thusday to give my knees a bit of warmth :wave:
Mum had the arthroscopy Wednesday of last week. She had to have one night in hospital. Just over a week later it is still a little bit painful. She has to go for check up next week. She hasn't been able to get out for walks with the dog as she hoped because of the snowy/icy conditions which she has found frustrating. My mother is very strong willed and she will not let a little thing like dodgy knees hold her back even though she is 86!

She will certainly be looking forward to some warmth in Malta when I book her holiday - just waiting until after her check up before doing that.

Pippa
BBRRrrrrrr. arrived back on Thursday night. Going again end Jan :D
Review for the Cavalieri Hotel will be posted shortly.
Hope your mom is doing well Pippa
Many thanks for your review Oxocat - sounds like you had a brilliant time :tup
An update - mum has found that her knee is worse after the arthroscopy. It appears now that the severe pain and the knee giving way is caused by her hip. She is now going to have a hip replacement (she broke that hip 36 years ago and had it pinned and screwed). I think she will go private so she doesn't have to wait.

Her holiday to Malta will have to wait until later in the year when she is able to walk comfortably - she will certainly be needing it!

Pippa
Pippa sorry it didnt work out for your mum :(

I had an arthroscopy on my hip in 2009 and it is the worst thing that I have ever had done! It has landed me on crutches ever since and in severe and constant pain permanently. I now await a THR but have no idea when as the goal posts keep changing.

Hope your mum doesnt have to wait to long though for hers :tup
Yes agree 200% with views on arthroscopy. Husband had arthroscopy on both knees and made absolutely NO difference whatsoever...just prolonged the 'next step' which was two half knee replacements. Had first one then 6 months later the second replacement..that was just over 3 years ago now. He is no longer 'grey' and in constant pain anymore and regained his 'life' back.
Just an update. Mum has been advised not to have a hip replacement until absolutely necessary (even though she was prepared to go private). The consultant thought there was too much of a risk involved - possibly something to do with the fact that she completely broke her hip 37 years ago and had it pinned and screwed.

Mum is very resourceful and she is still managing to do most things with the aid of a stick.

I have now booked her 2 weeks at her favourite hotel - the Santana in Qawra for September. The warmth will do her good and if she can't get about on the buses as often as in the past she is quite happy to stroll down to the sea front and sit with a book.

Pippa
Hope your mam has a lovely time Pippa give her all our best regards :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.