Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
Lager in Malta
18 Posts
colint

As well as the generic lagers available in Malta which you could buy anywhere in the world, you will have the opportunity to drink the fabulous draught Cisk Export 5% and Cisk Standard 4.2%.

You will arrive back in the UK having developed a craving for the true Mediterranean Gold and you can now get Cisk in the UK!
Stella is also available in various bars. at around GBP£1.70 a pint.
Stella yuk what a foul brew :yuck , the Belgians don't drink it thats why they send it over here in huge quantities, give me a pint of real ale or real cider any day :glynis
Would it not be the Guinness then Sliema ?

Cisk, Hopleaf and Blue Label got to be some of my favourite drinks, God bless Farsons :glynis
don't forget the Lacto (if you can find it!)
Hi Graham, yes I am partial to the odd pint of the black stuff but more so in the emerald isle than here it seems to taste nicer over there, I love real stout and we are lucky that where we live there are a few free houses where I can sometimes sink a few pints, I must agree that Farsons bottled beers are of the highest quality with the exeption of the ghastly smooth flow beers, with regards to Lacto I know of a number of shops in Malta where it can be bought, and we frequent a couple of bars where you can also buy it, one in particular holds a stash of it for me for when we visit, happy slurping everyone.

Slainte Graham
Sliema2
Hi Sliema2,

Well I was looking for an excuse to go back again (as though I need one!), and you've provided me with a first class reason. I've never tried Lacto .....but I guess I will next time!

I'm yer real ale man as well and am more than happy to drink Farson's ales when in Malta. I agree that Stella is aweful and quite frankly I can't understand why anyone who likes good beers would want to drink any other than Malta's own, which are excellent and cheaper than imported stuff!

Trev
Hi Trev

agree with you, except imported lager is now cheaper than Cisk ! Real ale all the way - had a bottle of Fullers ESB last night, brought over to Gozo by a friend - now if I could buy ESB in Gozo, it really would be heaven on earth !
Mark,

Fullers ESB is really an excellent real ale and in fact although living in the Midlands I normally only get draught Fullers, a southern brew as guest beers (thanks to past efforts of us old members of CAMRA!!). All their ales are of excellent quality. ESB does well as a bottled beer and has an excellent balance of malt and hops together with a relatively high alcohol content so don't ever drink too much in one go!

I've made lots of real ales from recipes using traditional mashing methods though I hasten to add that I don't make ale these days because I found I was drinking far too much!!

ESB is one ale that can easily and authentically be made using diastatic malt extract and if you can obtain the ingredients in Malta I could let you have the 1970's recipe - by PM of course.

Hmmm ... has anyone got any recipes for Maltese beers? It's most important that the type of hops used and any other special malts used and quantities are included in the recipe.

Trev
home brew ! haven't done that in 20 years !
Hi Mark,

As I said It's been a long time since I made any ales but please please I really didn't make your standard insipid home brew. What I produced was only the stuff that genuinly had the taste and character of commercial products. I did have an edge having spent a work experience in a real ale brewery in the 1980's as part of a work experience in industry project for teachers like me who'd been in the classroom for too many years - What an experience! This also gave me access to the genuine yeast, which is more than an important ingredient and if I ever tried to emulate a Maltese brew I'd do my best to obtain a sample from one of their ales that just might be naturally conditioned and culture it up.

Sorry to bore you with all this,

Trev
Hi Trev, not boring at all mate, for mking real ales that makes you a real hero :bow :glynis

Regards
Sliema2
Sliema2 - Cheers, :glynis I'm flattered! :rofl

Trev
just found this website listing all the beers available in Malta

http://www.tedwhitfield.co.uk/maltabeers.htm
Hello Mark, very good find for the beer drinkers, and the rest of the site has a lot to offer as well.

Dave
Hi guys

I love Cisk, and I really enjoy this beer. When I went to the supermarket there are a couple of beers that were lacking, this being Stella Artois, Corona, San Miguel and such. Heineken, Budweiser, Cisk and a lot of dutch (!) beers are available. Do they sell beers like Stella or Corona in Malta? And if they in fact do, what are the costs? Payed LM 1.20 for a Corona bottle at Fuego, a salsa bar in Paceville.

best regards
check out Smart Supermarket website - you need to register, but they are showing 90 odd beers on line (some are the same beer, different sizes or containers)

they have Corona at 0.69c (33cl bottle), Stella 0.38c (33cl)

http://www.smart.com.mt
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.