Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Lagos
22 Posts
You'll be spoilt for choice in Lagos; at the last count there were over 365 eating establishments in the town and it is really difficult to find a bad one.
Many of the restaurants have tables outside on the pavements and all restaurants welcome children, although you may have difficulty getting to the upper floors with two tots and a buggy !!
Generally speaking, the newer restaurants near the Marina tend to be more spacious than those in the Old town but, as I say, you'll be welcomed in all of them.
Although Dona Ana beach is gorgeous, the most accessible with two kiddies and a buggy will probably be Meia Praia - you can park really close and there are a couple of beach bars which have loungers and shades for hire and which do really good meals; we prefer the Bahia beach bar, but Linda bar is nice as well.
Among our favourites are O Galeao, O Navegedor, A Vaca (Swiss) and A Veneza. If you want directions, just ask. Have a great time.
P.S. The Amuras bar at the Marina has a lunchtime buffet where you can help yourself and they charge by weight - this may be handy for the little ones.
wonderful thanks for that sounds very child friendly
Hi Sagres

Going back to Lagos in Aug for 2 weeks have not been there in about 14 years! Staying in Sol Lagos Studios which I think are just out of the town. Any tips on other places eat, visit, trips to take etc. We are a couple in our 40's who enjoy eating and scenery. Also any ants or other biting insects about this time of year? Many thanks :D
Hi anniemc,
'fraid I have to start with a bit of unpleasant news:- I've read recently on another forum that there is extensive building work in progress at the Aqua Luz apartments next door to Sol Lagos.If you'd like a link to the article just shout.Are you going d.i.y. or are you on a package?If you are in a position to change accomodation and need recommendations just ask.
Yes, the Sol Lagos are just outside town - about 5 minutes from the Bombeiros(fire station)and another 5 down into town;the tourist train passes close to the apartments so that's an alternative if you don't feel like walking.
As for restaurants,you'll know that you're spoilt for choice in Lagos, but among our favourites are O Galeao(up the street past Fools & Horses bar, turn left them immediately right-probably best to book in August), O Navegador(off main street-Rua 25 Abril, turn left after A Veneza restaurant and O Navegador is 50yds. down on the right.)We also like the Swiss restaurant, A Vaca, near to the Police station but there was a rumour last year that this was being sold.( the restaurant, not the Police station !!) :lol:
There are several new restaurants on the marina and a new fish restaurant - Estrela do Mar - above the renovated fish market, There are sensational views from here.
Regarding scenery, basically the further West you go from Lagos the more rugged and spectacular the scenery gets; if you're hiring a car you'll be able to find secluded little coves and beaches all along the western coast.
You'll know,having been to Lagos previously, how good the trip to the grottos is - they're just as breathtaking now as they were 14 years ago!
Personally, I've never had any problem with insects but we never go in August - it's too hot for us.
Think I've covered all your questions, but, if you need any more help, just ask.
turn left after A Veneza restaurant and O Navegador is 50yds. down on the right

Oops !! These directions asssume that you're walking up the Rua 25 Abril from the town centre; if you're approaching from the direction of Sol Lagos then turn right immediately before A Veneza.
Many thanks :D We are going on package holiday and I would be grateful if you can send me the to check out the building work :( . Looking forward to holiday your information will be very helpful.
anniemc,
The article in question is on Tripadvisor.com and the link is ;- http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189117-i688-k631923-Sol_Lagos_apartments_Lagos-Lagos_Algarve.html
Hope this helps and that the building work doesn't interfere too much with your enjoyment.- I'd take a chance and swap places with you !! :)
P.S. Forgot to mention that there are several water-based trips available from the Marina - dolphin safaris etc.
Have a great time.
Hi Sagres Many thanks for your advice :D . Yes you are right about swapping places, I know where I'd rather be :lol:

Will keep a watch on any news of the building work, either way we'll make the most of it. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks :D
anniemc,
Weather there is brilliant at the moment so, let's face it, how long are you going to spend in your apartment during working hours?O.K.,the noise may spoil your enjoyment of the pool a little, but, with Dona Ana beach just a 10 minute stroll away, who cares?
Have a great time - I'm not jealous, honest :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
hi new to the forum ive just booked for the via don anna and am wondering if they are near the building work,thanks
Hi Gary,
The Via Dona Ana apts. are a five minute walk away from the Sol Lagos apts. - not close enough for you to be disturbed by the works. However, you will have to pass close by them on the way into town.
Hi Sagres Have found out from the other forum that there is massive building work going on at the Aqua Luz and the Sol Lagos is completely overwhelmed by building works/cranes etc which are being used for construction work beside them :( I have checked and Thomson whom I booked with also use the Aqua Luz so they must have know about the work happening.

I found out from this site that as members of ABTA they have a duty "provide them with accurate information about the extent of the building works and offer them the opportunity to transfer to alternative Travel Arrangements of the same or higher standard, at the price of the original Travel Arrangements." I have now emailed Thomson - they have to reply to my email with in 5 days.

Will keep you posted :D
Hi Sagre

Me again! Meant to take you up on your offer of advice of alternative accomodation? Just in case Thomson actually offer us somewhere else :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thomson have on their website the following: - Vilabranca Apts, Beachcombers, Tivoli Lagos Hotel and Casa Da Aldeia all in Lagos, do you know any of them?

Many thanks for all your advice :D
anniemc,
Of the four alternative properties you mention, I'm afraid I can only help with two of them.
The Tivolii Lagos is probably the best hotel in town and, to be honest,it is highly unlikely that you'll be offered this as an alternative to the Sol Lagos(I'm not knocking the Sol Lagos,they're fine, but we are talking two totally different types of accommodation here)If, however,they do, don't think twice - snatch their hands off !!! We've stayed there many times and it's a lovely hotel.
The Vilabranca apts are in the same neighbourhood as Sol Lagos but a further 5 or 6 minute walk away from town.We looked round them when they were being built with a view to buying one and it's a well appointed complex.We haven't actually stayed there but have spoken to people who have and they all seemed pleased with them.
Sorry I can't help with the other properties but I'm sure you'll have a great time regardless of where you stay.
Hi Sagres

Many thanks! Will keep you updated. Anniemc
You're welcome - hope it all works out for you o.k.
One other thing I meant to mention - if you have one of those evenings when you don't want a huge meal and just a drink and a snack will do, there aren't many places in Lagos that cater for that sort of thing - it's either a full meal or nothing at all - well your uncle Sagres can solve your problem !! :lol:

If you stand facing the Old Slave market, there's a street to the right of it called Rua Nossa Senhora da Graca(I think).About three quarters of the way up this street, on your left, is a little bar called The Acores.This is a great friendly bar where, although they don't have a board outside advertising it, they serve basic snacks such as burgers, hot dogs and chips.The bar is not flashy, but it's spotlessly clean and they've got a huge range of drinks at good prices.It's the sort of bar where you feel quite comfortable dressed in your shorts etc.
The couple that run the bar - Fatima & Rogerio - are from the Azores islands and, if you get there when the bar is quiet - about 8.30p.m.,they have authentic videos of the islands which they 'll gladly show you.
Fatima speaks excellent English, having spent some time in the U.S.A. and you're sure of a great welcome. If you should pop in there, please tell Fatima that Ros & Geoff say "hello" and that we'll see them in September.
Once again, have a great time and be sure to let me know how you got on.
anniemc
the villabranca are superb apartments to stay at ,all th staff are really friendly and helpful
it bsically consists of 2 pool ares with apartments around the edge of each one. the best pool is the one adjacent the main restaurant as the pool across the driveway attracts a lot of young families plus there are 1 0r 2 trees which givs an amount of shade -especially in the heat of augustsome good restaurants close by would recommend o pirates as martin and marcia serve up some excellent meals. he apatmentalso serve excellent meals through the day and even though we have not tried it they serve great meals at night
Overall an excellent apartment to stay in - see the seperate hotel report section
only 15 days before we are in lagos - now go independantly o save those high travel agent prices - stay in the marina areat some evenbetter apartments

richard
Hi Richard

Many thanks for your information. It is very useful. :D

Must check out travelling independently next time, not sure if direct flights to Portugal from Northern Ireland.

No word back yet from Thomson, will give them the 5 days to reply and then contact them again.

Thanks everyone who has taken the time to reply and provide infomation & advice :D :D Anniemc
Anniemc,
I can certainly help with beachcombers, have been going there for the last 4 years and all over Lagos nearly everyyear for the last 24 so if you need more info just shout.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.