Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Meia Praia is some way from the old town, 20 to 40 minutes walk if you know the way through the marina (the new developments are at the closer end). I think we need the apartment name. The beach there is long and sweeping backed by sand dunes and a not very busy railway line, if you've seen photos of smaller stretches backed by sandstone cliffs that's the other side of Lagos town.
The apartments are called Albardeira and they are apparently 15 minutes walk from Lagos.
that area (same name) is a newish development north east of Lagos, the Google aerial photos of about three years ago show a lot of building work between a lot of new buildings. 15 minutes walk to Lagos marina (more across to the old town) seems reasonable but I'd be wary about whether the road has a footpath. No idea whether they built any restaurants when the built the area. Nearest point on the beach will be somewhere near the Vila Gale hotel and will probably be a similar walking time.

How old are the kids? As well as the beach there are a couple of water parks within reach. the beaches on teh west side of Lagos have the rock formations which primary schoolers would get a few hours exploration out of.

I did see a rather nice boat doing trips which I thinkw as this lot http://www.bomdia-boattrips.com/index.htm but they aren't cheap. There's also this lot http://www.all-boat-trips.com/index.php who don't even quote prices - never a good sign!
Linda Beach bar on Meia Praia beach gets good recommendations although we've never been to it.
I can cope with 15 minutes walk so that is fine. Our girls are 7 and 4 but the litle one doesn't swim so I don't think we will do a water park, the boat trip looks lovely though and I'm sure they would love to explore round the rock formations so will check that out.

Linda beach bar sounds good to for when we are on the beach.

Is the sea safe for children to swim in? Or would they do best to paddle on the edge? We are so use to the Mediterranean which is relatively calm but I don't know about the Atlantic, Im sure it must be colder than the Med too?
Will you be hiring a car at all? As there's the sand sculpture park that the 7yr old may enjoy http://www.fiesa.org/

Tickets:- Up to 5 years: Free. From 6 to 12 years: €4.50. Adults: €8.
We go everytime we visit the Algarve as the theme changes every year.
Portuguese food is mainly meat and fish (with Italian, Indian etc. restaurants) the food is excellent and wine is cheap. Try the local restaurants off the tourist trails that offer excellent value. I love the prawns in piri-piri & garlic.

Prices are similar to the UK, maybe slightly cheaper but toiletries can be pricey.

Meia praia is very safe and shallow. Luz beach (a bus ride away) is also lovely.

Days out;
Agree Fiesta is great
Slide and splash
Zoomarine
The beach...no doubt your children will love it and not want to go anywhere else so you can relax.

Enjoy your stay.
"Is the sea safe for children to swim in? Or would they do best to paddle on the edge? We are so use to the Mediterranean which is relatively calm but I don't know about the Atlantic, Im sure it must be colder than the Med too?"

The beach at Meia Praia is fairly flat and the water shallow. There were plenty of children mucking about in the waves even in March when I last over that way. The water is certainly colder than the Med in winter. Water temperature at the moment is around 17/18C. In summer the sea is very quiet, but there are some places to the west of Lagos where you have to watch out for nasty sideways currents. There are lifeguards on the beaches in summer.
Thank you, I'm glad they should be ok on Meia Praia beach, we probably wont go into the sea anywhere else anyway.

The food sounds like it is going to be lovely, I am looking forward to it all already :sun2

Are the buses frequent and easy to use? I don't really want to hire a car but we are quite happy to travel by bus.
cubsur's website http://www.algarvebus.info is the best source of public transport info on the Algarve but is behaving a bit odd - when I open it in IE it loads then diverts to an American travel site, but it's OK in Firefox.

Anyway, town buses in Lagos are run by Aonda and Algarve regional services by Eva - who's timetables are a bit of a mess, the idea of "same minutes past each hour" has never taken off with them so you have to read them carefully -especially days of the week and public holidays. Don't forget the trains, they run Lagos-Tunes- Faro and are cheap and reliable (when not on strike) and Lagos station is on the right side of the harbour for you, Meia Praia has it's own station but that may be further away as it's at the east end of the village so check the map before marching off!
Thanks that's brilliant. The website worked fine when I tried it.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.