UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Could be anything weatherwise - my guess would be a mixture of rain and sunshine, fairly mild........
no theme parks or anything :), but lots of lovely villages, and you could do a boat trip - depends where abouts you're going......
First point - there's a B/H weekend at each end of May, theoretically the last one should be warmer but you should never go to the Lake District without waterproofs.

Are you looking for stuff for any particular age group?
Try and fit in a visit to Wastwater (England's deepest lake). It's far quieter than many of the other lakes and far more stunning in my opinion.

Some of my pics from one of my many holidays to Cumbria. Excuse the quality, these are scans.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1405/637811282_1822d15613.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1073/637812028_86b180e68a.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1001/636948871_2018d9dd5d.jpg

http://www.visitcumbria.com/wc/wastwtr.htm

Weather-wise, go prepared for rain, the lakes should give you a clue! :rofl
Our age group is 40 somethings ( four of us). Thanks very much for everyone's advice and the photos were fantastic . It looks a very beautiful place but i'll definately take my rain jacket !
Hello, we are lucky in that the Lakes are only 90 mins up the M6. If you have never been prepare to be stunned and wonder why the hell is taken so long.

What to wear - well I doubt you are going to be full on fell walking, so I would advise a good quality fleece and waterproof overjacket/trousers, and sensible footwear - boots/timberland trainer type things. And a rucksack, to throw your things in.

Your first visit you will like everywhere, suggest the Windermere villages - Bowness, Ambleside - Coniston, Grassmere etc.

Have a Pint of Coniston Bluebird Bitter too, at its host pub - nice treat that !

Have a great time.
hya, I live in Kendal, just 10 miles from windermere and its lovely and warm here today !! may is usually a decent month weatherwise here, but always pack your waterproofs and your suncream !
Just had good couple of days in the lakes we decided to do the Grasmere to Patter dale walk via Helvellyn And Striding Edge a glorious but tiring day.

CLICK TO ENLARGE
http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/6679/altonapril090442152015.th.jpg

Not a walk for the faint hearted or unfit
Was thinking of a weekend in the Lake District in the summer holidays - is this a really bad time to go or ok if you avoid the busiest areas?
Hi Corinne 76!

Of course some places, such as Bowness and Grasmere will be pretty busy during school holiday times, but there is so much space in the Lake District that there is room for everyone! I'm always pleased that a lot of visitors actually seem to like the pavements of Bowness... which leaves the stunning fells deserted for me to enjoy!

If you arrive and find things busy then just shift your day slightly. With longer days you could get up to do sunrise walks or plan walks to have you returning to your car whilst the sun sets.

If you can get accommodation that doesn't start on the normal change over day of Fri or Sat then you should reduce the risk of heavy traffic on the motorways too.

If you are planning to go to any of the more touristy bits.... set your alarm... lots of people plan to get up early... but don't quite make it! Enjoy being first in the queue and then savour the rest of the day by a quiet bit of Lake with a good picnic and book.

It really does depend on what you want to do, but we go to Cumbria at all times of the year and always manage to find a quiet corner.

Hope this helps, if you have more specific queries, I'll try and help.
Hi Adli

Thanks for the info - it looks like we'll be better off going at a quieter time of year instead.
Hi Corinne,

I really didn't mean to put you off! I'm sorry if I did. The busiest time of summer will be August, and of August the Bank Holiday weekend. So avoid that one and work from there! Just know that a weekend in August probably makes Bowness and Grasmere really really crowded.

It really depends on how you plan to spend your time?

Walking the fells,
On the Lakes
Driving around and soaking in the views
Whether you would want to go to Bowness on Windermere / Ambleside or Grasmere or prefer somewhere more off the beaten track?

One idea is to take accommodation in either a rural location off the beaten track or ... surprisingly right in the centre of somewhere like Bowness or Grasmere. The reason I say take a accommodation in a popular area is that you could then not use your car. Just leave it parked and enjoy everything by being a pedestrian.... the pavements may be crowded but they won't be as bad as the roads!

There are also some lovely properties hotels, guest houses and cottages which have lake views, so you can enjoy your own little corner of the Lakes.

The summer evenings are great for extending the day and offer opportunities for afternoon/early evg walks.
Hi Adli

Don't worry, you haven't put me off the Lakes completely, you've just confirmed my hunch that going in term time will be much better for us as we hate crowds. Thanks for all the info though - much appreciated!
Head for the western lakes, far less crowded.
Hopefully the weather will be nice but often showers so make sure you bring waterproofs and boots!

Although there are so many pubs you can just run into to escape any bad weather!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.