Camping and Caravanning UK and Europe

Discussions regarding camping and caravanning in the UK and the rest of Europe.
......July and August - peak months in the lakes, the same as everywhere else. The popular sites will be very busy, especially in the "hotspots" around the main tourist areas, Keswick, Bowness, etc and anywhere close to water....the peaceful, tranquil wordsworthian images are sadly not much in evidence at these times.
It is quite usual with a tent to find that sites tend to cram them in rather than have allocated pitches...it would be less likely for a small tent to be turned away, rather than a caravan or campervan.
It might be better to stay on the fringes of the lakes and travel in....there are still some nice areas that are quieter.
I live in the south of the Lakes busiest times are school holidays and weekends not sure when school hols start mine being grown up now so you should be OK many more campsites than caravan sites one of our old favourites is Coniston Old Hall right on the lake shore and in walking distance of a pub then a bit farther to Coniston village congratulations no where better to celebrate than the Lakes regards G
we go just before schools break up, so hoping it wont be to crowded, also what is the the rules about camping away from sites amonst the hills,is this not allowed or can you set up late at night without breaking any laws?
thanks again,
it will be our honeymoon and we are so looking forward to it, for many years have promised this to ourselves it just seems perfect
Yes you can camp on open ground above 1000 feet I think!!!! Hubby teaches outdoor education so will ask him and post again G
Have just asked 'Him who must be obeyed' and he said legally you have no right to do so but in practise any where above intake land that means walled fields is ok if not in sight of the highway(roads) leave no litter and stay one night only nothing about pitching after dark I know he camps overnight sometimes so you should be OK another camp site has just come to mind not been there for sometime next to the Brothers water Inn on the Kirkstone Pass heading N used to be good food there too Looks as though the only campsites I know are in walking distance of Pubs LOL regards G
......thinking of spending your HONEYMOON wild camping on top of a mountain........wow......

....actually there's no better way to appreciate the unique beauty of the landscape...wordsworth understood perfectly the special relationship between valley and hills, nature and man.
I've lived and worked here for the last 31 years, walked every top,still biking, camping, backpacking, running, also 7 years hang gliding, so the appeal is still there.
One of my favorite sites is Whinfell Hall Farm, Lorton....a bit away from the busier places, but still among the hills.....
what better way ?
we are really looking forward spending a few nights under the stars on top of a mountain away from the hoards of tourists, we are not bothered about being isolated, so the further away from the madding crowds the better.
Thankyou both for the information and if you can think of any more it would be gratefully received :P
ian you old dog :lol: you kept that quiet :lol:
congratulations for you forthcoming wedding
hope you find somewhere nice.

love fizz xxx
.......two more of my favorites.....Turner Hall Farm, near Seathwaite in the Duddon valley - quite basic, but great setting ; and, with the best location of any lake district site, Gatescarth Farm, between Honister and Buttermere - again, basic, but surrounded by the hills; and Wainwright is nearby, up on Haystacks.......
I haven't been camping in years like my home comforts now we do use the caravan but not as much as we should ! When we were younger pre kids we used to bivvy out on the fells nothing quite like it !
Sunowner are you doing any of the fells in memory of AW ? we are doing Whitbarrow for various reasons- we left it late to choose, not far from where we now live, I have arthrhitis so cannot do as much as I would like! I would love to be able to do the Fairfield horseshoe again maybe one day if I take it steady we used to get up there really early when we lived near Ambleside back into the Golden rule for a pint if we got back before 3 wouldn't have to rush now with longer opening! regards G
Hi we have just returned from the Lakes and we deliberately tried to find somewhere a bit more remote and stumbled upon Hesket Newmarket and Caldbeck on the fells - I am sure some of the farms in the area do camping and I think the Caldbeck Fell itself might be common land so campers overnight might be allowed - check with the village websites for clues and take a look at the maps for the area - there is a small campsite in Hesket itself just down the road from the pub and real ale brewery in the village but the farms on the fells will be more remote. As it is the north area it is less busy I believe. There is some kind of village festival at the beginning of July with a hog roast too. Reading a visitor book I noticed that some of the ponies and sheep on the fell can hassle walkers so camping might be an adventure of an interrupted kind!!
I think there used to be a campsite run by the council very basic on the far side of the park down by the boats not sure if still there maybe called Braithwaite fold ! will try to find out if I get up that way, there is Limefitt park at Troutbeck I would say this is a good one for children as there is a dining room where you can use the tables and or cookers pay in the slot useful in our climate the only others I can think of is Fell Foot NT down the bottom end of the Lake or Wray Castle opposite Waterhead(Ambleside) at the top end of the Lake HTH G
just spoken to a friend and Braithwaite fold is for caravans only and apparently Park Cliffe is known to be quite pricey sorry can't help with any others in that area
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.