UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Lake District
65 Posts
Hi joolz, we often go into the Kirkstone Inn have wondered what it would be like to stay there as it is suposed to be haunted. Years ago staff came into the pub in the morning to find all the chairs up on the tables,and the ghost of a young lad who was run over outside the inn by the horse drawn mail carriage can be seen and heard, spooky or what :yikes
I can recommend the Queens Head in Troutbeck, close to Ambleside, but not really within walking distance for a pint. However, it is renowned for fine ales and has a fantastic bar area. The bar is made out of an Elizabethan four poster bed. Food is also good.

http://www.queensheadhotel.com/

Would recommend Keswick, Ambleside and Grasmere as good places to visit. Lots of quaint shops, pubs and eating houses.

:wave
I've added the Queens Head to our review site. Would you add a review by Clicking Here

Thanks
thanks for all your suggestions. they were a great help. i was thinking of ambleside.
kiershay
I hope you have booked the Lakes are heaving with Tourists and 'No Vacancy' signs everywhere ! we live in the south near Grange over Sands - wonderful views across Morecambe bay and beautiful villages like Cartmel not quite as busy as the honeypots such as Keswick, Coniston,Windermere/Bowness or Ambleside but only half an hour by car !
if I can be of any help just ask and I will do my best,I also used to live near Ambleside so know the area pretty well
We liked the Lake District so much we got married there !!

We chose a beautiful hotel called Linthwaite House

Absolutely fantastic place not far from Windermere
Can anyone recommend a good restaurant in the windermere/ Bowness area of the Lakes?
It is my husbands birthday and I want to take him somewhere special.
He likes a good steak or seafood. :D :D
The drunken Duck is good it is in all the good food guides quite pricey but in my opinion not ott so is the Brown Horse at Winster or L'Eclume at Cartmel but that is the most expensive with the Brown horse cheapest
We went to the Glasshouse in Ambleside although this might be out of your area, superb food and friendly staff and was featured in Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares (we went after that by the way). Not the cheapest by all means but money well spent.

Will go again if we are ever in that area.

Gail
Could someone please tell me what part of the lake district is the best,We like small villages,shops,restaurants,few pubs,nice walks.Could you recommend a nice hotel(small) or good 4* b/b.hoping to go in jan 07 O/Hs 50th(surprise break).
If you'd like somewhere not too busy then I'd recommend the Western Lakes (Wastwater area). I've been there dozens of times and it's ideal for walking without bumping into many people.

Other than my last visit I've always stayed with relatives who were living in Ravenglass. Last time (think it was 2003) we stayed in a beautiful cottage in Boot, Eskdale.

Pippy :D
One of the most romantic hotels I've ever stayed in is the Linthwaite House Hotel. I'd love to stay there again, but for many years we've had a timeshare at Langdale so can't really justify it! Not cheap, but for a special occasion ....?!

It's not exactly in a small village, but the views across Windermere in the morning, with the mist on the lake and the snow on the far hills - fabulous! Nowhere should be crowded in January, and the scenery in that area is beautiful and there are walks everywhere.

Hope you manage to keep the surprise. It's fun having a secret, isn't it?!! :wink
Thanks to all you people for the advice i'm going to wait abit nearer the time before booking has the weather might change dramatcally(spelling?)
There's some wonderful places its hard to choose just one :?
Hope O/H appreciates all the hard work. :love2 .
try the Fayrer Garden Hotel Restaurant - 2AA Rosettes - friendly staff - also a nice place to stay the night
A good central point to stay would be Grasmere. There are hotels there as well as self-catering apartments. A very nice eating place is "The Sportsman" on the A66 about 10 miles west of Penrith.
Ooh Roseweb I was at Langdale end Oct/beginning November - my boyf's family has timeshare there for several weeks over the year. Beautiful, lovely place.
Hi all,

I know there are a few people on here with a little bit of knowledge with regards to area's in the Lake District.

In July there a few of my family thinking of taking a trip. We are all between 27-30 years old and there will be one baby coming along too.

We are really looking for somewhere that will offer good walks & views along with a view tourist attractions and good places to eat. (A gold course would be nice but not essential)

So far we have found a cottage that meets our needs in the Grizedale Forest Area. Is this area anygood???? Or is it a bit out of the way??? AA map reckons about 20 mins to windermere

Any advice on suitable areas would be much appreciated

Cheers
Sorry cant help you on that particular area but i have been told that grasmere is a lovely area , fairly central, with plenty of fine walking and different route that criss-cross right on your doorstep. Have a look at this site they have some lovely cottages and in their brochure they give good detail on each area http://www.lakelovers.co.uk

lyn
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.