EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
Legal advice!!
25 Posts
Adam, is your objective to have a home of your own or make a quick buck? Shared ownership schemes aren't for people who are looking for the latter and shouldn't be regarded as an investment and you'll possibly be defaulting on the contract if you don't live in it yourself. Shared ownership is a way of enabling people who couldn't otherwise afford to get on the property ladder to do so and are only worth considering if your primary purpose is to have a home of your own. They're not a back door into property development.

I've never needed to purchase via shared ownership schemes like this because I've always lived in areas of the country where I could afford to buy a house that suited my needs but a number of children of friends are buying their first flats through schemes like these. Key but low-paid workers such as teachers and nurses are often given priority. Also, I've always regarded my house as first and foremost my home and I haven't been interested in treating it as an investment or a moneymaking scheme. Property ownership brings responsibilities with it and is not just a way of making money and from what you've said and the questions you've asked to date suggest to me that perhaps you've not thought some of this through yet.

SM
  • Edited by SM 2005-03-23 09:57:21
Some very good advice here. Also some people get the wrong impression. they look at property prices moving up at double didget rates and think they can make a killing. Sometimes you may be very lucky but generaly we are talking about a longer term investment. Even if you were to get high increases each year, the actual cost of buying and servicing a property would negate any major profit for a few years in most cases. Then if you take into account the cost of borrowing that makes it worse, unless you can cover that cost with rentals. Most owners will tell you it takes a year of two to get good occupancy on renting and you'll never fill your place for the whole year imho. Anyway I'm off for an afternoon snooze. :)
well to sum it up, im geting the impression that ive no chance of getting any property here or abroad. The sole purpuse is investment. Im not looking of moving out or living abroad but to rent and wait. I need to take a risk in something, because yes i could end up in the shit or if i play my cards right could have a decent starting block. Im willing to gamble, and know it would be a few years before finances pull up. But if i dont make a move soon i feel i will lose out. I need to find a hidden market and take advantage of it. Your probably laughing at me but im determind to do this. I really do appriciate all your advise and do take heed from it, but really do wish there was someone in my position whos been there and done that. :?
Adam,
No one can wave a magic wand.
If you want something the only way is to pay.
If you haven't got the means to pay, as I said earlier in this thread, look at ways to make more money.
Property investment has been around for a few hundred years, missing a year or two is not going to make much difference.
There will still be "bargains" to be had and profits/losses to make.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.