EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
Hi, good luck on the move. I cannot help too much as I'm in N.W Spain, but regarding electrical goods, I would think you would be better off buying in Portugal. State school should not be too much of a problem, kids can pick up the language fairly quickly, although it'll be tough to begin with. The portugese speak better English than most of Spain so there's a bonus. You may want to check on internet connectivity, in the villiages in rural Spain it's quite a task to get connected.
If your moving lock stock then the electrical items you have will work over there , and if your hauling the rest of the house in bligty with you i would reckon just take them also.

I too will hopefully be doing something similar in the next couple of years , so have been checking out the same thing.
Hi Astral, Your UK TV wont work in Portugal as they use a different signal something to do with uhf and vhf. We took our TV over to Portugal but had to have it modified to work properly so it would be cheaper to buy a new one there. Cheers Jayjan
Thank you for all your feedback.
I haven't been on here much as I have been so busy with work and home.

By taking electrical goods I suppose you would just have to change the plugs for each item in order for them to work with the voltage and sockets in Portugal.
Is this correct?
yes or repolace the plugs or sockets themsaelves.

As for the above post most modern tvs will do ALL standards now , incl pal-secam , and it will probably be chosen from the settings.
Web, what do you call modern?, the TV I'm talking about what we took over was only 2yrs old so isnt ancient. But I know where you are coming from cos my new tv has the options of languages etc, but I still wouldnt like to chance it from what the portuguese Tv engineer said about the signals being different. Everything else we took over works perfectly fine just needed the plugs changing. Regards Jayjan
hi jj , im over end of the month and the tv thats in our rental is MULTI like just about all modern ones (ex scottish power employee here)and bought from lidl in the locality by the owner.

Reason why i know is that if its got a sky tv picture or fta bbc etc then its displaying pal no problem , also display ntsc as I watched an ntsc dvd.

The language option wont change the display however , thats usually done in the O>A service or enginner ONLY settings part.

The settings if memmory serves is ntsc/secam/pal-i/d/g/b/ etc to change or by using the scart instead of the uhf input aka sardine can for comp , rgb independently of the tuner chip.

check this for what standard it is in portugal....http://clk.about.com/?zi=1/XJ&sdn=hometheater&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.calfilm.com%2Flist.htm
Hello,I live just south of you in S.Marcos da Serra ! Good luck with the move...
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.