Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
We always choose A/I and have been to various areas of turkey . I still prefer the Dalaman stretch which would include resorts such as Icmeler , dalyan , olu Deniz and Hisaronu as we have found it the most scenic and friendliest. There are several good A/I's in Olu Deniz and the bonus here is that they are all within the resort itself . You could have a look the belcekiz beach hotel, Olu deniz resort and club sun city . The belcekiz gets the best reviews and we loved it there although there isnt much competetion on price as it's only available through Thomson/Portland . Depending on budget also have a look at Lykia world which is full board plus and Letoonia in Fethiye but these are more expensive options.

Other A/I's we have stayed in have been The Aegean dream resort in turgetries on the bodrum coast where we had a lovely time although some mixed reviews but a good location (there is also the La Blanch next door) and The hemera in side on the antayla coast . Again another lovely hotel with good reviews but the area is not as scenic , more european if that makes sense and we didnt feel as friendly.

If you dont mind being in a more isolated location and not bothered about having a resort close to hand There are some fabulous A/Is along the antayla stretch of coast with a vast array of amenities .

lyn
Forgot to mention Mazzy that end May /June is a lovely time to visit Turkey . Probably the best . It will be hot but not with the intense heat of July /August.

Also just in case I have confused you and so you can familiarise yourself with the Turkish coast it is a huge stretch and so the T/O split it into 3 regions , each served by a different airport. The Dalaman airport region (also known as the Turqoise coast) is in the middle and is the most scenic with mostly a mountain backdrop, either side you have the Bodrum airport region (Also known as the Aegean coast) which is also very scenic in a different way ,, then there is the Antayla airport region (also known as the Med coast) which is more European with lots of 4/5* hotels including resorts such as side, Lara beach , belek .
You say you normally go self-catering or B & B in countries where restaurants are good and cheap, they are in Turkey!
If you like strolling round in the evening, soaking up the atmosphere choosing a lovely restaurant, you couldn't be in a better place! Getting around is easy by taxi-boats and dolmus(public mini-buses), it seems a shame to spend most of your time in an AI. There is so much to do and see!

The food and different styles of restaurant are very varied and great value for money.
If you could give more indication of what kind of holiday you like you'll get lets of help on here. There are some very large, lively, bustling resorts or at the other extreme small, quiet, authenic resorts. When you have done some more research you may decide against AI.

Wherever you go you'll find you will get a very friendly welcome.
  • Edited by Alfie 2009-10-28 22:40:24
Hi Mazzy,

I agree with Alfie, if you normally go SC or B&B in other places, then why not do the same in Turkey. You can find some lovely restaurants and it is usually cheap to eat out especially of you go to local type restaurants, you will get some wonderful food and try somewhere new every night. turkey is also a great place to go out exploring rather than being restricted to a hotel.

With AI in Turkey you really need to pay quite a bit to get a good quality hotel, if you go for a budget one then you will get pretty much the same mediocre buffet food every night. To be honest with you the thoughts about food poisoning are somehing I have thought about too with buffet style food, especially in the cheap AI hotels.

Maybe re-think whether you really do want to go AI, have a read through some resort reports too or tell us what kind of place you are looking for and people will give you some ideas. If you definitely do want AI there are also a lot of people who have done it and can advise, Lynnwestie has given a few recommendations already.

Hope this helps

Kedi
I have just come back from 2 weeks in Icmeler and I ate in a different restaurant every night and found the food to be excellent and very reasonable.
AIs vary a lot and I have stayed in some,Hemera in Side,Sun city in Olu Deniz and Club Turban in between Marnmaris and Icmeler.
Although all hotels were good the food gets repetative and wasnt as good as the food I have ate these last 2 weeks.
I stayed HB this May at the Parkim Ayaz in Gumbet and the food was excellent but the recent reviews are not so good.
Some AIs are to be avoided as lots of people get ill and one hotel has been on Watchdog recently.
If I were you I would read the resort reviews then the hotel reviews.
I love May and October in Turkey but found June too hot.I like to get out and about and found June too hot when we went in 2007.
going to turkey for the first time why do you want a/i it would be better to go s/c with children think about it children dont eat much , and there are such lovely restaurants and they cater for the english in marmaris i could name natalies/ o yes the best steaks in marmaris just think the children will eat what they want not what they are given , ( and it would be cheaper)
Club Turban is actually in Marnmaris in a suburb called Siteler. and not Icmeler
Think Jay trip did say "Club Turban in between Marmaris and Icmeler" !!
Club Turban is nearer Icmeler than Marmaris centre.I know I have stayed there and walked to both Marmaris and Icmeler from the hotel. :que
Jay Trip wrote:
I have just come back from 2 weeks in Icmeler and I ate in a different restaurant every night and found the food to be excellent and very reasonable.
AIs vary a lot and I have stayed in some,Hemera in Side,Sun city in Olu Deniz and Club Turban in between Marnmaris and Icmeler.
Although all hotels were good the food gets repetative and wasnt as good as the food I have ate these last 2 weeks.
I stayed HB this May at the Parkim Ayaz in Gumbet and the food was excellent but the recent reviews are not so good.
Some AIs are to be avoided as lots of people get ill and one hotel has been on Watchdog recently.
If I were you I would read the resort reviews then the hotel reviews.
I love May and October in Turkey but found June too hot.I like to get out and about and found June too hot when we went in 2007.

From the security barrier at Club turban situated in Sitler Marmaris it's exactly 4.4 Klm to the Octogar bus station on the outskirts of Icmeler this is via Road. From the Attaturk statue (city center of marmaris) it's 8klm again to the Octogar bus station on the outskirts of Icmeler. :rofl
I reckon the best all inclusive hotels in Turkey are in the Belek area .They are all 5*and right on the beach.You can't beat all inclusive when you have kids with you ,it surely must work out cheaper in the long run .Take the cost of four meals three times a day not counting all the drinks ,ice cream ,cakes ,candy floss, candy apples and snacks .This discussion about all inclusive comes up all the time on here and there is no way anyone will convince me that it is not the best especially where kids are concerned .

Bluepeterno1
Why are you saying its 4.4kms along the road as the road veers inland at Siteler and I doubt I could walk 4.4kms in 30 minutes!
So 4.4kms is nearer than 8kms is it not. :que
It wont matter how far it is to the OP as they just want a good AIs and have probably stayed in some out of the main resorts in Mexico.
The Club Turban has rooms ideal for a family as they consist of a double bedroom and a twin bedroom,both with a bathroom.
  • Edited by Jay Trip 2009-10-29 22:41:44
It is a lovely walk along the path that follows the sea .Dont know why anyone would want to walk along the road.

Bluepeterno1
I am making the point that Club turban is in Marmaris! :tup
Looks to me that Jaytrip is right :

http://www.turkuaz-guide.net/turban/index.htm

It says here it is between Marmaris and Icmeler - Marmaris 6km and Icmeler 2km
Funny that the road you go to Club tuban is before the Sitler Dolmus terminus which is also in Marmaris, Club turban is where the Dual carriageway in Marmaris finishes and on your left hand side, Sitler Dolmus terminus is 50 meters past Club turban but on your right hand side!
I am confused!

Jay trip simply said the hotel was located between Marmaris and Icmeler. That is correct isnt it?

Okay... it is located in Siteler in Marmaris but that is still between Marmaris and Icmeler is it not (as Jaytrip said in the beginning? )
It is indeed between Marmaris and Icmeler as has already been stated - but some posters on here would argue black was white!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.