Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
Hi Fiona,

We took the cruise a couple of weeks ago - 24th February. Like yourself we have been to Bangkok several times and have done the river at night.

We decided that we just had to do the Manohra cruise, following such good reports elsewhere - and we were so glad that we did. My wife, Janet, thought that it was a wonderful evening and that alone made it worthwhile.

Unless you have a cine camera, most sights are too far to use flash photography and digital exposure time too long to keep the camera steady, with the movement of the boat.

You can check out the set Thai menu on the website http://www.manohracruises.com/dining.php
Although you can get better food at a lower cost elsewhere, the quality was good, the service and ambience were excellent.

We started with a Margarita (a very good one too!), drank Australian sparkling wine with the meal and the bill for 2 persons (including tax and service) was:

2 x Dinner Cruise - 3,931
2 x Margarita - 564.96
1 x Jean Pierre - 1,765.60 (a good price!)

Total 5,841.46

Very worthwhile.

You can book from outside Thailand by using their enquiry form on the site. They will respond to the e-mail address that you provide and let you confirm when you get to Thailand by contacting the reservations desk at the Marriott by phone. All payment can be made on board.

We used the hotel courtesy boat from Saphan Taksin pier (easy to get to by Skytrain) to get to the Marriott, as we wanted to look round that hotel for future reference. This boat runs every 30 minutes and the journey takes approx 15 minutes - but I believe that you can start the cruise (by arrangement) at Saphan Taksin itself.

We are glad we took the trip and hope that you will be.

Peter
thanks Peter
good website as well. ( I can recommend the Marriott by the way!)
You are welcome Fiona.

There is an interesting article that you may or may not have seen.

http://www.manager.co.th/IHT/ViewNews.aspx?NewsID=9490000019572

Interesting stuff - and also a suggested alternative to Manohra.

Regards

Peter
Did the Manorha cruise on our last night in Bangkok (third time we have done it) Sat 11th March. Same menu as PeteB pointed you at. Thought it was a good meal and the rice barges have a lot more charm than some of the other boat restaurants plying the river. The Tom Yum Goong was a little tame compared others we had on the holiday.

Drinks prices were scary 220 ++ for a beer chang for example. But then you don't expect it to be reasonably priced when paying hotel prices. They kept trying to get us to buy wine, but I don't think it goes with Thai food so always stick to either water or local beer.
Sunbear
it must be good if you have been 3 times! The menu looks good.
Pete
interesting article. we had looked at booking the Loy Nava before but found some quite mixed reviews.

We are still undecided though! Too many choices- but then, there is always the next visit! :D
Yes we found that with Bangkok...found plenty of new restaurants in Siam Paragon that looked rather interesting. I have to say though that while the food was OK in Bangkok (Cabbages and Condoms, Manohra, Erawan Tea rooms and MannaA in Siam Paragon) the stuff we had on local beach restaurants in Krabi and Phuket was way better for a fraction of the price.
Hi Fiona, just arrived home today so this is just a quick note. Went on Manhora cruise on 17th March [husband,s birthday]. We thought it was great- lovely service and really nice food- lovely ambience and would do it again. Cabbages and condoms was ok, nothing wrong with food - just thought it was a bit like Thai fast food. Went to Crepes and co- just past cabb & con, lovely food. Spoiled for choice, but I still like the beach shacks on Choeng mon beach
some of the best places to eat can look the most basic. Glad you enjoyed the cruise. I'm looking forward to hearing more about your holiday when you feel more up to it.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.