Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
i was in marmaris yesterday and there were people on the beach. I think the only sharks in marmaris are selling stuff!
We just got back 28th May we saw no sharks at all and people were sun bathing on the beach :tongue
chelsea boy wrote
i was in marmaris yesterday and there were people on the beach. I think the only sharks in marmaris are selling stuff! :rofl
Just beat me to that one chelsea boy .
:D
I googled Marmaris and Sharks. I wish I hadn't now :(
Marg
There seems to be alot of news sites reporting this. The news reports are saying its Marmaris and Bodrum beaches ???
Where are you reading this about, I can't see anything on it at all?
good, it doesn't say what type of shark though, i might try and google it to see if i can find anything else.

Looks like i'll be staying in the pool
Hey thats pretty scarey stuff, i wasnt sure if people were just having a wind up on the "other" forum :really

hope theyve all gone by october!
dont worry i have been in sea with sharks + moray eels they are more curios than harmfull ? unless a hungry great white and i dont think you will be seeing one of marmaris/icmeler beach :que :cheers :whoops
Ahhh thats ok then, il chuck the kids in first just to make sure it safe! :rofl
dont be silly :wave: thats only small snak they;ll still be hungry :sun2
I think someone is pulling someones chain!! Although sharks are present in that part of the world, they are few and far between. I've been diving in Turkey for years and would love to come across a shark in those waters, but have failed miserably!! I hope they are still there in September as I'll be diving in that region and would love to investigate further :) I travel to Caribbean and Indian Ocean waters for close encounters with Jaws normally! The waters around Marmaris don't offer the right habitat characteristics for most shark species, not ones you'd be concerned with anyway. There are over 350 different species of shark, only about 10 of which you'd be weary of and are rarely seen in that part of the world.

http://www.unian.net/eng/news/news-253386.html

A bit of over-imaginative journalism I feel. I like the headline 'sharks attacked seashore'. What a load of rubbish! Sharks do not attack a seashore. They may come in to shallow waters looking for food, that's what they do! They certainly don't attack them. Don't forget it is us humans that are entering their terratory, not sharks that are in ours. The start of the third paragraph cracks me up 'According to the information of local rescuers'. What have they rescued? And the forth paragraph 'At present, scientists have not discovered as yet why sharks appeared at the Aegean Sea shores, where they have not appeared for over 30 years'. Sharks have been present in those waters since sharks evolved 400 million years ago! Just because they haven't been sighted, doesn't mean they aren't there. It would be useful if they reported on species, if indeed they even know what they were. The authorites are right to be cautious, but journalism like this doesn't do anyone any good and will only harm the tourist industry.

unless a hungry great white and i dont think you will be seeing one of marmaris/icmeler beach

True, but they are frequent visitors to the some parts of the Med and not too far away from the southern side of Turkey. Gt Whites aren't the man eaters the press make them out to be. Yes, they are dangerous animals to be in the water with but so are countless other members af the shark family that are far more common in Mediterranean waters and UK waters for that matter.

If you want to see sharks, have a look at this video. I filmed it in March this year. Apologies for the poor video quality, it's hightly compressed to be able to post it. That's a Black-tip Reef Shark and the other two at the end are Nurse Sharks (aka little pussycats). This next video shows larger, and more mean looking sharks. The large ones are Ragged Tooth Sand Tiger Sharks, the largest female is 14ft. Even though they look fearse with huge teeth, they only eat fish and are of no concern to humans unless provoked. The smaller ones are Nurse Sharks. Click here. This is a better quality version of the Sand Tiger Sharks. I'll post more videos if people want to see them.

Enjoy your hols and don't worry about big fishes :sun2 :cheers

Darren
You do get great whites in the med, there is good documented case where a ship went down off greece in 1800 and they reckon now it was great whites by the report of wounds. Croatian used have shark nets up until the 40's to stop great white attacks. The great whites follow the tuna in from the atlantic and they use the med as a breeding area, confined to the middle to eastern med. Great white's don't like the taste of humans and mistake a human as a seal and will spit humans out unless they are really hungry. They do sometimes get into the red as well but its rare, I think there was a reopt last year about a great white which was trapped in the red.
Here is a great chinese proverb you only get eaten once :rofl :cheers :sun2
Holiday boy ,have you ever seen a man eating shark ,i havent but i've seen a man eating fish and chips . :D

Bluepeterno1
I once brushed the teeth of a great white with my own personal tooth brush of the coast of blackpool now im being silly and :cheers :rofl :offtop (ps ill be there in july sharks or no sharks)prob take a lazy day boat trip and swim with the :pele ok end of goodbuy
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.