Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
TSA luggage lock's are fine, Yes you will need a travel plug, A 3 to 5 course set meal in the evening with lots of choices costs between £6 and £9, Lunch you can get Salads for between £2 and £5, The breakfast at your hotel will be a Turkish breakfast should you not like that you van get a British breakfast for between £2 and £4, Beer cost between 3 and 5 Lira, Shorts cost between 5 and 8 lira note these are local drinks, Soft drinks £1 to £2, Should you wish Uk drinks they will be much more expensive, Beach restauraunts are always more expensive as is bar street and the marina and harbour areas. Your hotel will also be more expensive also for everything above.
Thank you so much rwb46 for your very helpful response.

Also I am sorry to be plain thick as I said I have never been abroad.

I forgot to ask. What is better to take turkish money, english or both?

Thanks very much ... x
Take a small amount of Turkish lira and the rest in English, Only exchange your money at a Bank for the best rates possible, Dont exchange money at your hotel or free commision shops as they both give far inferior rates, Just ask any of the bars where the nearest bank is, One more thing you do know that in Turkey they sell good quality cheap Designer clothes, Jeans Bag's purses etc etc shoparound for them and never ever pay the price they ask you for deduct about 40% from the innitial price offered and see how far they will drop the prices.
Hi, in the shops they have say, three bags 10 pounds, 2 pairs of jeans 20 pounds can you haggle in the shops or is this the set price thanks :wave:
I was going to post a similar question about money - with reference to carrying English or Turkish.

As I understand it we need to carry a £10 note for our visa. But if we change larger amounts in the UK (typically over £500) we get a better rate. Is the rate we will get in Turkey better than the rate we can get for changing larger amounts?? I assume the banks are only open monday to friday??

Also, if I need to get money from an ATM I assume it will be in Lira. How does our UK banks exchange rate compare to what we can get in Turkey? (I know I will have to do this coz my pay day is half way through my 2 weeks in Turkey)

Finally (for now anyway), I am travelling over to Rhodes for a long weekend whilst in Turkey. Am I better carrying English to exchange for Euros in Rhodes OR getting my Euros before I travel OR exchanging from Lira to Euros either in Rhodes or Marmaris?? (This last question I may also duplicate on the Rhodes forum)

I travel in 2 weeks so the actual exchange rates shouldn't be much different than now

Cheers (what is the Turkish for Yasus?) :cheers

Dave
All prices for tourist items you can haggle in shops for, If they wont do it, Just walk away and go to another shop as their are hundreds of them, For the cheapest prices go to eithier Marmaris market on a Thursday or Icmeler market on a Wednesday again haggle with the traders on prices.
Yes banks are open Monday to Friday, From some Atm's you can take out Sterling or Euro or Lira ask your own back for details, You always get a better rate outside of the Uk doesent matter how much money you exchange in Turkey you will get the same rate advertised and it will always be a better rate than in the Uk, Use English sterling in Rhodes again at a bank. The current bank rate presently is
GBP TRY
£1.00 = 2.44 Lira
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.