Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Chris
you should be able to retrieve some of the info by clicking on your profile and viewing your posts. I can see info on the huts and sim cards in the first couple of pages.
HTH
Forget the padlocks and torch, they are much cheaper in Goa, and you can buy them everywhere. Why do you need a padlock? Just curious.
Thanks.

Told needed padlock for safe at highland beach.

Right i'v got this so far.

As soon as get there, go to chemist and stock up on imodium and vomit stop, should we get belly ache during the night, we have them in.
But an adaptor plug there.

Dos and don'ts

if a taxi driver asky to stop at a shop, say no, as it is probably a cousin of theres and you'll spend ages there.
never leave food in your room, it attracts ants
blue soap gets rid of red dust
stay well away from dogs, but i do know about the v's in there ears, thanks pam7

Food and Restaurants

road side shacks are good for tandori chicken
bon appetite restaurant is nice
and himalaya restaurant is also nice

beach shacks

bonos has best loos
antinos is in a quiter area and beds not so close together.

days out

anjuna market form 4.00pm on a wed
andora market on a sat night
paloem beach is a must for 1 night
ashven or morjim beach are good
spice plantation and goa must be visited.

right i'm of to do some more research
Hi Chris .....my sister and her husband are going to the Highland beach on February 14th (5th time at same hotel so it must be good)
Hope you and Mark have a lovely time.
Lesley
Hi chris !
I think you must mean Ingo's night bazzar, not andora, and yes it it a good night out, get there early to avoid the traffic jams.
Few tips for you Chris
1. Keep a bundle of small notes with you 10/20/50rps for taxis (they never have any change)
2. Keep your wits about you when walking on the road side,anyone driving feels the need to get a little bit too close for comfort.
3. Carrying handbags - keep them to the inside (away from passing traffic) - reports from this year and the last few have seen an increase of snatching.
4. Don't chase round for the best exchange rates - only the odd ruppee between any, no point in wasting time in my opinion.
5. Everyone reccomends a beach shack !! - been in many that are better than my chosen one (Ganesh Shack) great friends so will never give up on him. Try which ever 'till you like what you get.
6. Same with restaurants, one likes it one doesn't ! My choices - Inferno/After 8/Green Jacket/Floyds (both of them)/Mermaid/The Bistro and Delhi Darbar in Panaji.
7. Trips out - Jungle trip/waterfalls/Old Goa/Spice plantation - book a taxi for the day to go in land,up north and down the coast - get to see quite a bit.
8. Stomach problems - don't hesitate get to the chemist ! these guys know everything and will have the best cure.
9. Keep your water intake up to avoid dehydration (also get to the chemist for fruit flavoured salt powders) take one at the end of the day when chilling on your balcony.
10. Anjuna market on Wednesdays - go early as possible before it gets too hot (take note of where your taxi is parked up !
11. Prefer Mackies night market to Ingo's, but do both for the experience. Food stalls here are spot on.
12. Beggers - your choice... women with kids - some could be genuine (my reports say they are professional) would give to the cripples, but only coins or small notes.
13. Swimming - don't go too far out
14. After picking a preferd beach shack don't be afraid to ask for anything, they will advise,help and provide for anything you want.
Hope that gives you some comfort...
DON'T PANIC - HAVE FUN !!!!
Wow
Thanks for that Spike, All sounds like good advise for all us new'ns.
I will make a point of calling into Ganesh Shack, I'll bring my own straw :glynis

Cheers
Grateful Rog
That's a great list there, Spike. Great advice!

Wicked Chris - Use the advice people have offered but don't be afraid to try something different that looks good. You'll get a lot of pleasant surprises trying new places to eat and drink. There really aren't that many that are poor. Can't argue with any on Spike's list and there's a top ten by resort lurking on the site somewhere.

Just wait for a couple of days until you feel confident that you know how things work and then start to enjoy Goa!

Just a couple of things to add to Spike's list. Everyone will ask you, "First time in Goa?". Don't say yes! They'll try to sell you everything. Just say, "Been a few times" or something. Also, if pestered by sellers, just say "No" very firmly and walk on. Don't loiter.
It's a good idea to wear dark glasses at Anjuna so the sellers can't see what you're looking at and make eye contact.

That makes it sound a bit hostile. It really isn't but forewarned is forearmed!! Enjoy! :wave:
and the elephant shop is on the main candolim road pretty much at the end of your road....
Jackie
thanks for all of those replies, i've nearly got another notebook full now.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.