Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
I could 3 years ago.
I'm interested in the Mobnil tourist line, does anyone know if there is anywhere I could buy one in Sharm El-Sheikh? :D
Did anyone use their mobiles out there?
And if so how much was your bill? :)
yes i used my mobile out there but ill never do it again i made 2 calls and they where about 5 mins each and it put about 30 pound on my bill
what network are you with?

I checked tmobiles and they are £1.40 a minute and 40p per text!
02, i was drunk at the time so it might have been a little longer i had a look 4 my bill but cant find it theres a sticky on mobile phones which will tell u more
I took my mobile just to send text messages, i'm on O2, when i arrived and searched for a new network i was put on vodafone EG, my text messages cost around 50p to send don't know if i got charged to recieve because i never checked, all in all i sent 8 messages and it cost me about a fiver. If that helps.
As for the beds we was in a select room, had one large bed, a bed about 3/4 size and a sofa bed, the sofa bed being bigger than a single and comfy to.
Hi all
be careful of the text messages to!! i'm with orange and must have been sending an essay, well i did not know that text went on more than one page :oops: if it was on my mobile screen i counted it as one text - hence my £80.79 mobile phone bill :yikes . texts = 35p per page and some were 4 pages long, also sending to my sister, other sister, daughter. what i thought was 1 text @ 35p turned into 4 pages of text = £1.40 sent to 3 people = mega bucks!!!!!!!! well you live and learn................... :roll:
Well then. I have just bought a global sim card. It is PAYG and has a UK number, (isle of man). It cost £35.00 and includes £5.00/$9.00 credit. You top up min $20 then in $5 increments. The credit has NO expiery date but does cost £9 a year to keep the same number. Now then, the costs.
Texts 16p Worldwide Free to receive
Mobile to UK landline 27p charged at 30 second min then at 6sec intervals
Mobile to UK Mobile 55p
No Charge for incoming calls
So far works in UK. Off to conrad tomorrow so will let you know how it works. Decided to try this method as Orange have just increased costs as of 1st June. They now charge
£1.75 per min to call
£1.00 per min to recieve call
50p to send text/free to recieve
I thought prices were suppose to go down. What a rip off
There are a few different companys with similar offers, possibley cheaper but not as flexible as the one i have chosen. some use numbers registerd to estonia or Liechtenstein so may not be as cheap for the folks back in the uk to call/text you.
sim4 travel seem to be doing a good deal on sim cards. worth looking at.

http://thomascooktv.sim4travel.com/

here is a quote for using an O2 setup on payg phones
http://www.dezineasite.co.uk/dogs/misc/mobileprices.jpg
I looked at sim4travel
The pitfalls with this is it has an estonia number (how much to call you from UK?)
Credit lasts 3 months only, sim valid for 9 month unless calls made within the time frames. i.e. 3/9 months if you remember to do this, otherwise lose credit/sim and start over again.
Texts 35p each
Mobile to UK landline 1st min 49p then 29p per min for each and every call
Check t&c very carefully before deciding and read all & i mean all the small print as this is where they will catch you out.
I've also ordered a global sim from 0044, the only drawback I can see is that you still get charged to receive calls in Egypt, but it is only 16p a minute, compared to the best price t-mobile (contract) could do for me, which is 100p (£1) a minute! :shock:
http://www.oneroam.co.uk/sim-cards.aspx?m=10&mi=51&ms=0

This company seems ok. haven't had chance to check them out properly yet.
Just out of curiosity anyone ever used a tesco payg mobile in sharm. They only charge 89p a minute for calls to UK cheaper than all the other networks phones.
Hi there,

Can anyone tell me, which is the cheapest and most reliable way of phoning home?Going out to Sharm next Thursday just hubby and myself leaving both kids at home (well not kids really 20 and 17) but would like to call them a couple of times, (they did not want to come), just wondered is it easy enough to ring without costing an arm and a leg.

Cheers Carol

xxxx
UPDATE:
I bought one from http://www.globalsimcard.co.uk/home.htm Expensive to buy i know, but their texts are 16p and about 25p per minute for voice calls. Their charge rate is for a minimum of 30 seconds and then at 6 second intervals. It is a UK std code +44 isle of man number and they charge £9.00 a year to keep the same number/simcard active. I am with Orange and there prices are just such a rip off . I used it in Egypt. 77 texts and 35 Min's of calls to UK. On Orange it would have cost me £98.00. with my globalsim card it cost £19.35 :P
I used my mobile to phone Briarskeg up, that 7 mins cost in the late evening approx 9.30pm was £27.00 !!!! my fault because i should have took the time to find out the costs, texts cost 40p with Orange and on contract.
I know this may sound a stupid question but forgive me as never been to Egypt before :oops:
Everyone keeps talking about mobile phone prices etc but do they have phone boxes :?:
I know the hotels have phones and i know that they charge the earth for them. But do you have to pay if someone phones you on them, as i know we have one in our room :?:
Sorry if i sound a bit stupid :idea:
Yes they do have 'phone boxes and no, they should not make any charge to receive a call on a hotel room telephone.

You can buy 'phone cards in Egypt , there are several different suppliers and they are quite reasonable in price. Ask your tour rep who will advise you. I once rang my daughter in England from a telephone on Cairo station to wish her a happy birthday. It sounded as if the was standing beside me! You'll find Egypt is far more civilized than you think!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.