Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
I work for a mobile phone company (pay as you go department) and i we always tell our customers to call a few days before to check a few things, ie:
If the handset will work. (different bands of phone)
Foreign network outages.
Call and text charges, and some do text and call bundles you can add on to make it cheaper. Sometimes even give a small amount of credit to you to TRY for free!
Most contract phones need to be "set up" as such to work abroad and sometimes a small deposit takin.

Hope this helps some people.
The last couple of times we've been out there, we haven't been charged for sending texts back to the UK (even after Mrs E told o2 about it). Not telling them again.
Just got back from a week in Sharm. Holiday was brill apart from the hotel bill for phone calls...£104 !! We are going back in October and would like to know if anybody has a suggestion for cheap calls back home?
Hello there..
I think that the cheapest phone calls in Egypt is to buy a vacation mobile sim card which is valid only for 2 months-it costs 80 Eg. Pounds&then you can make international phone calls from an average of 3 pounds till 5.50 pounds according to the country you`re calling..If you are calling the UK they will charge you for 4.75 p. a minute & the messages will cost you only 1.5
Regards
where can you buy them in sharm please ???
couild some one tall me how easy it is to phone home what is the code
Easy peasy. International code is 0044 followed by the area code and number (omitting the '0' in the area code). If calling from your hotel room you will need an outside line, this information should be in the information leaflets.

Be careful though, some places will start charging after 30 seconds, whether the call has been answered or not. If the call is not answered within 30 secs, just hang up and try again.
... some times, partciularly with a mobile you replace the 00 with a + to get an international line; then the 44 for UK.
Is it possible to buy an Egyptian SIM card with some pre paid pay as you go credit on it to put into my unlocked UK mobile? I hear it is very expensive to make mobile calls to the UK from Egypt using a UK SIM card and mobile.
When I go to Cyprus this is what I do and it works out a fraction of the cost of using my UK SIM. If this is possible, could anyone reccomend the best PAYG provider to use whilst in Sharm?
Thanks.
For info, I bought a Egyptian Vodaphone Sim card, it worked fine in my unlocked phone and saved me a fortune compared to what I would have paid if using my UK O2 sim.
we are off to sharm tomorrow and as this thread is quite old can someone plse tell me the current charges for a sim card in sharm and roughly what calls will cost to the uk? also where would i buy a sim card? we are staing in Naama bay... thanks ;)
chilly
usually sim cards range from 25LE to 120LE (prepaid) whether they belong to VodaFone, Mobinil or Etisalat. but if you're planning on calling the UK a lot i recommend you go with etisalat. Their prepaid card is about 25-30 LE. and they charge you 2 pound a minute for international calls where ever you call, and thats good in comparison with other phone companies.
Have a good trip.
Thanks very much for that, :) i take it you mean 2 egyption pounds a minute?
Chilly
I'm with vodafone, and have just checked the rate for Egypt and its £1.60 a MINUTE to use my mobile over there to call home! :yikes :yikes

As the phone is unlocked i will be getting a local sim (any other recomendations???)

Oh and one other thing, if your mobile (like my blackberry) can receive emails or web data, TURN THAT FACILITY OFF, as if you receive just one email, you will incur the daily data rate which is about £6 a day.

Julian
If anyone is going to Egypt over the next few weeks and wants a Vodafone Egyptian SIM card, (your phone needs to be unlocked) PM me and i will send it to you.

it will save you about £6, and call charge home when using it work out about 30p a minute.

Julian
Hello :cheers

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy 3G network cards for phones in Sharm?
Going rates and data allowance/info also requested.
Manta thanks
:tup
orange/three/vodaphone/02 do work no probs over there as my family have used all those networks over there. only downfall is to send or recieve a call its about £1.50p per min your best bet is to take a phone whats unlocked for any network and buy one on the local sims will cost you nothing then to recieve and outgoing calls back home are alot cheaper
and if you are thinking of taking your laptop use the hotels internet as mobile network broadband dongles are charging around £6 per megabite in terms will cost you £6 to view 1 page and and £36 to watch a 5 minute online video
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.