America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Your phone should work there as long as its got tri band or above coverage,mobiles are expensive to use there but i didnt find texts too bad if you need to keep in touch,just looked at vodaphone homepage says may need to get international barring off your phone to use it,so it depends on phone and i suppose if its pay as you go or contract...enjoy your trip hope you packed lightly....its 40 degrees C there in the next few days going up to 41...Too hot for me.
I don't think it's easy to get a sim only in Vegas. You can buy cheap mobiles in the likes of Walmart (off strip) for about $20 which come with $10 credit. I think they are called Trac10

Have a look HERE

luci :wave
To buy a sim you would have to go off strip. I use T-mobile, but am thinking of changing to Cricket for our next trip.

Last trip I got a sim from T-mobile for £20 that had unlimited texts for a month and low cost calls within the USA. it was expensive to call the UK though.
Why not just buy a cheap $20-$30 pay as you go cell phone in the US and then buy a calling card? For only $5 a time, I get about 300 minutes to the UK. The rates will vary from one calling card to another but, regardless, it will still be significantly cheaper than calling the UK directly from a US cell phone.
Can I ask what PAYG phone you bought? We are cruising to New York and Canada next month and would like to be able to phone home from both countries to check on the family. Last year in Hawaii our mobiles didn't work and we paid nearly £40 for one phone call home.
I don't have a PAYG phone (the last one I had was six years ago) but I know that Boost Mobile, Virgin, and Tracfone all have PAYG phones and can be found in many stores. Even supermarkets usually sell them.
Thanks for that info. Did you find a particular network better than others or are they all much the same? We really need a phone that will work in the US and Canada.
Apparently one of the words in my last reply was flagged as s-p-a-m. Even though it's the name of a company and not even a word in the dictionary. Anyhow, the other PAYG phone I mentioned was T-r-a-c-f-o-n-e (remove the dashes). I am not endorsing one over the others... those are just three I know of.

I don't know if you can get a PAYG phone that will work in both the US and Canada. If you are right on the border, then it's likely you can still pick up a US cell carrier signal. But not necessarily... I've been on the Detroit-Windsor border and also the Niagara Falls border and it was hit and miss with a contract phone (sometimes I got my US cell carrier, sometimes the phone couldn't find it and picked up a Canadian one instead). Now, I think a US-bought PAYG phone might *work* in Canada in the sense that you'll pick up a signal...but I suspect it will be from a Canadian carrier and that you would incur hefty out of network / roaming charges.

You can always buy two phones if necessary, one for the US and one for Canada. Before doing that, I would contact the companies I mentioned above or look for other companies that other PAYG phones (e.g. I think that AT&T and T-Mobile might have them as well). Ask them if they have any PAYG phones that work in the US and Canada.

Maybe other people here have bought a PAYG phone that worked in both countries?
T mobile (USA) works in Canada and USA
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.