Spain - Canary Islands - Tenerife Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tenerife.
Mosquitoes
44 Posts
Brief and to the point - Yes we do!
In 10 years I have never seen one or been bitten.
My wife's legs were badly bitten during holidays in our apartment in Chayofa in April and May of this year. Previously, we have only encountered them once before, in 1998 when staying at Port Royale in LC. The strange thing is, I always seem to remain unaffected :?. My wife says it's because the mozzies have good taste that they stay away from me :shock:
That's strange about Chafoya ... I was in Palm Mar (by the sea) a couple of times during April & May and only saw one mosquito ... in good time as well, as I get quite an extreme allergic reaction to their bites (which is why I've had to give up visiting Florida & the Caribbean & have settled on Tenerife as my Winter sun destination)
Is there stagnant water up around Chafoya?
They either like you or they dont. I have been chewed by the damned things all my life but hubby never gets touched. I used to regularly have to have an injection in my bum halfway through my holiday due to an infected bite and I never used to actually see a mosquito, they always struck during the night!
Anyway, for the last 4 years I had never been bitten once and the miracle cure is taking one garlic capsule a day (ok I have no friends) but its true, apparently they hate the taste of garlic and now wont even consider sinking their little fangs into me.
I was on holiday in France two weeks ago and missed taking my garlic tablet for 3 days, on the 4th morning I woke up with one bite on my face and two on my leg.
So - its back to Kwai one a day.
No there is no stangent water in chayofa, that is the village where i live! there is lots of greenery though, does that attract the little blighters?!

I must say that i get bitten quite a lot, especailly when i have had a few drinks!! Do they like the taste of alcohol?

You can get some good spay from boots,in a yellow can, it was on 2 for 1 when i was back last, you spary it directly onto the exposed skin before going out. it smells nice and i have found it effective. :lol:
I can confirm Garlic daily 2 weeks prior to going will assist 8 yrs not one bite. Also Vitamin B and E also appear to work.
Oooh glad i've joined this site - as someone who's had countless holidays ruined by bites i'm about to try the garlic - best get hubby on them too so he won't notice the smell as much!!

Ta for the tip folks :)
Mrs MX5

If you look on the general section there is another thread which will give you more ways of stopping the little blighters from their attack.

Rgds Jackie
One other tip a lot of the citronella sprays do not work the blighters are immune.
The best is to use DEET insect repellent.
More info on http://www.deetonline.org
Avon Skin So Soft body lotion works great against midgies in this country. Havent tested it against mozzies though
When i go to greece i get eaten alive they seem to love my blood also in this country where we play football in the summer is next to a lake and the same i get bitten every week, But i can honestly say after about 12 visits to tenerife south i have never been bitten very strange.

In greece we used to buy the local lemon spray stuff they seem to hate that,
In all the years Ive been living here Ive only been bitten three times.
Returned from Tenerife on Friday and was bitten by one mosquito while I was there. Never saw a single one until one night while sitting outside a bar I looked down at my leg and saw one on me. It was itchy for days and is still in a lump now! Apart from that though we had no trouble at all from them!
Are there any mossies in Tenerife in June. My son's booked for Playa de las Americas this June. He came back from a week in Kavos, Corfu last summer with a bad infection from loads of huge mosquito bites. His leg had swollen up like a bvalloon. He was put on a course of antibiotics when he got back home. Luckily he was only out there for a week. This was despite using mossie repelant. This time he's going away for a fortnight so I hope that he'll be o.k. Is Tenerife as bad as Greece with regards to mossies. Thanks
Is Tenerife as bad as Greece with regards to mossies.

Hiya Shirley.
No, there are very few mosquitoes in the south of the Island, there is no standing surface water due to the volcanic rock acting like a sponge, and all the water in the resorts, will have been piped from the reservoirs in the mountains where it rains.
I would still advise using repellant, you can never say never, I react like your son and wouldn't go out at night without using something, although I've never had to resort to using Deet products in Tenerife south.

Sanji x
just agreeing wih above post...... ive been bitten maybe twice since ive lived here.... very few mossies in tenerife... thank god !
I have to tell you that my mum came over to visit me last summer and gone really bitten. They were all big and pussy(too much information!!) anyway she had to go to the docters in uk who was horrified!.

Needless to say when she has visited since then she has always had insect stuff on, and we have a plug in thing in the bedroom.

Better to be safe than itchy!!! :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.