Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
Must buys
8 Posts
My first visit to China years ago I came back with loads of silk blouses, scarves, ties and paintings.Then in Hong Kong I bought a beautiful leather holdall.
Bangkok for bags, fake watches, CD's Silk cushion covers
Malaysia also for fake watches, shoes, bags, purses and DVD's
Singapore costume jewellry.
Everytime I go to the Far East I say I am not going to buy so much stuff but last year in Malaysia I dumped my old suitcase and bought a bigger one to take care of everything I had purchased in OZ and Malaysia.
A decade or so ago it used to be t-shirts, jeans and the like but clothes have got so cheap in Britain that it just not worth it. Tend to do our shopping in the bigger department stores like Central in Bangkok, Isetan and Tangs in KL these days. There are some quality Thai labels which usually catch Mrs Sunbears eyes, usually handbags. Always a lot of choice in the mens departments which seem bigger than their equivalants in the UK.

This time around apart from a few silk cusion covers and a few t-shirts for the beach we bought nothing.
Like Sunbear I don't buy as much these days ( I remember our 1st visit to Thailand when we filled a case)

This year I bought a beautiful silk table runner and a solid silver choker in Cambodia.

I bought a silk dressing gown and 3 part wooden buddha picture in Ko Samui.These days we don't go out looking for anything in particular I just like to pick up bits and bobs as I go along.

Singapore was particularly good for 'high end' shopping I bought a Tag Heuer

Some of my favourite things I have bought in Asia are small cheap trinkets but I will keep them forever as they hold wonderful memories.
We have had tailor made stuff done in Thailand my wife came back from Thailand with a suitcase full of work clothes on at least two occasions.Apart from that I am married to the only woman in the world who hates shopping.Lucky me eh?
China was our first far east trip and we were looking for a Chinese painting to go on a certain wall in the house. Despite many hours of looking we never bought one - all the ones we liked went the wrong way (down instead of across).

I did get a rather lovely necklace and bracelet in the markets on Upper Lascar Rd in Hong Kong. Oh and a Swarovski necklace in one of the more upmarket places.

I had money and couldn't spend it. I'd saved to buy a designer handbag and of course (typical woman) had an idea in my head what I wanted and couldn't find it. :cry:
(The one thing I will say about the designer shops in HK was that you were certainly made to feel welcome, unlike Rome where I felt the assistants were looking down their nose at me)
Puddleduck

I know what you mean about paintings in China, I was really lucky in Guilin we visited an art school and one of the teachers had painted a large picture of the river Li with mountains, trees, mist and a small boat in the corner, from left to right. He offered to sell and my friend and I tossed a coin as both of us wanted it. It now has pride of place on my living room wall and visitors always want to know where it is.
I did buy a couple of small pictures but they are painted downwards as you said.
I always buy a gold charm for my bracelet. I find that a lot of stuff from SEA finds its way to the UK anyway (although usually much more expensive).
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.