General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Don't get too excited - there seems to be a delay on fully updating their site. If you look under "Current Account" and "Account Benefits" it still says commission free abroad - but if you click on Foreign Transactions it clearly says the charges on debit cards (ie Flexaccount) start on June 1st. But you are correct - Turkey is one of those where the fee doesn't apply.
It is still commission free. The 0.84%(and 1% from July) is the charge Visa makes which NW has absorbed up till now. Remember that this is also only for certain currencies. Check link below for the country you are visiting
http://www.nationwide.co.uk/current_account/foreigntransactions.htm
Well i only have basic flex account with cash card so no charges for me at the moment ;)
Does the basic cash card actually work abroad? Their website sort of implies that you need a debit card for foreign use.
Their website sort of implies that you need a debit card for foreign use

Correct Steve ;) The basic cash card can't be used in foreign ATM's as per the website
:wave: sorry you are wrong as we used our basic account cash card in india in feb this year with no problems,after asking nationwide if it would work abroad .
Yes; got to agree with you Lizzley; Ma in law used her basic cash card to withdraw money in Beni last November after asking in branch if she could :tup
They've obviously changed the rules since my sister worked there in 2008 :que

The basic cash card is predominantly for people on benefits, under 18s or pensioners and didn't feature the facility to withdraw cash abroad. The reason your not affected by the charges is because it's not a Visa card/debit card
I knew the reason why the charges didn't affect me,i was just giving correct information for others on the forum,which is just as, well because you could have caused a rush of applications for debit cards :)
ps; not on benefits,a pensioner or under 18 (i wish)
:rofl
ps; not on benefits,a pensioner or under 18 (i wish)
Just what Nationwide states on their website if you care to check :whoops

And why wouldn't people want a debit card ? Feel much safer with a card than cash especially abroad
:think your missing the point all am saying is you can use a basic Nationwide cash card so there is no need to get a debit card especially since they are free to use. :yikes
Outside Europe (EU?) a charge is applied to cash withdrawls. This used to be absorbed by nationwide but now applies to the customer.
At the moment this charge is 0.84%

Mods merge if neccessary
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.