UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
The Copthorne is in a great location there's a weatherspoons almost next door great for cheap food and drink!!! I've only been in the hotel for parties and meals so can't really comment on the rooms but I am sure they would quite nice
Off down to Newcastle for a few days from Sunday, going for a bit of Crimbo shopping so will visit the Metro Centre however can anybody recommend any other areas that might have some small traditional shops or perhaps an arcade? what is the main shopping street(s) in the city?

Are there any areas for a nice evening out? not tooooo stag night more a couple type of area :cheers

Thanks
Graham
We prefer the main town shops of Newcastle to the Metro Centre which is like any other shopping mall in the UK although a lot bigger than some.
We are going to Newcastle tomorrow and will be wandering down Northumberland street which is the main shopping street then down to Grainger street which has a couple of small arcades off it.I think the oldest one is called Windows arcade.
In Eldon Square which is a shopping mall but Eldon gardens near the bus station have some nice shops.
Outside Eldon Gardens is Percy Street which have smaller shops and a huge new Debhanhams and good pubs for lunch.The gate is a lasrge building with a variety of eating places from Wetherspoons to Mexican.
If you are a fan of Chinese food there is a whole street of restaurants in Stowell street nearby.
Grey street is lovely and has some nice restaurants although we tend to eat in traditional pubs during the day of which there are plenty.
If you get the chance take the Metro to the coast to either Tynemouth or Whitley Bay although they are very quiet at this time of the year.
We never go at night time but try and avoid the Bigg Market as its a haven for stag and hens from all over the country and you may feel you have landed on the set of Geordie Shore. :yikes :rofl
Thanks Jay Trip for your advice, we used to go to Whitley Bay many years ago to a caravan park there, I wonder if it is still there :think
Yes the caravan park is still there but the whole resort is very quiet now.Many shops closed which i suppose is a sign of the times.
We will be trying somewhere different to eat tomorrow so if its good I will let you know. :tup
Thanks again for you advice, we are just heading down now :cheers
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.