Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Hiya Mi$$y, Just come back and would say that if you have a twin bed room it could be a bit tight. If there is a double bed it would give you more room for the extra bed.

Setithefrst
Thank you for the replies

There is 2 adults going, we are not a couple so seperate beds is required.

Im getting a little worried about this now, when I booked the holiday I explained everything to the travel agent.

There is no way am I going to let my son sleep on the floor, I had to pay full fare for him so why should he suffer for a week.

Im starting to regret booking this holiday now.
A few years back my family went to Luxor and while there we done a 2 night cruise, there was myself, hubby and son. The cabin was cramped as there were three beds in it, I would be very surprised if your son had to sleep on the floor! :yikes
Just returned from our trip onboard the Royal Viking. The ship is absolutely beautiful, I think it's the newest ship on the Nile, only built earlier this year and it shows, many of the boats we tied up along side looked a bit worse for wear by comparison.

The rooms are large and the french windows and juliet balcony are great especially when cruising. The trips were all really well organised and the guides, Aiymon & Wallid were really good. Food was great and varied and most of the trips were included in the price but you could take on extra trips like Abu Simbel, Nubian Village, Karnak sound and light etc.

The only negatives were that many people became sick onboard, this was despite a really strict hygiene regime, everybody was invited to tour the ships kitchens, bridge, engine room etc. The kitchens were spotless and segregated into different sections to prepare meat, fish, fruit, bakery etc. This ensured that there was no possibility of cross contamination between the different food groups. I have my theory on what caused the outbreak, but that's another story.

As you would expect, drinks onboard are expensive, the only other negative was the traders who sometime verge on being aggressive, it seems that at every attraction, you are unable to take the exit back onto your coach without first having to walk through a market area where they are onto you like a rash.

All in all it was a fantastic trip, really well organised on a lovely boat. I would highly recommend the Royal Viking.
Hello all,

We're off on a Nile cruise in August and we have to get a visa. Would you recommend sending off for one before we go, or getting on at Cairo airport when we arrive? I really don't like the idea of putting my passport in an envelope and sending it away. I'm sure it's a money making scam too, the travel agents are trying to charge us £40 for a £15 visa.

Thanks.

Simon.
Hi Simon :wave:

Welcome to Holiday Truth.

We're off on a Nile cruise in August and we have to get a visa. Would you recommend sending off for one before we go, or getting on at Cairo airport when we arrive?

:think As you are doing a Nile Cruise I presume that it will be Luxor Airport & not Cairo that you will be landing at unless you have a multi-centre holiday booked.

This existing topic will give you all the information that you require http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=24843 however the quick answer is get the Visa yourself when you arrive at the airport from one of the small banks as you arrive in the terminal and this way you won't be overcharged, the whole process is very fast and easy.

Regards
Graham
Just do it at the airport, you may even find that your cruise company have sorted out the payment which they will add to your account onboard the boat.
Hello Graham,

Thanks for the welcome, this is a great board.

we are flying to Cairo first for three days, then flying to Aswan to pick up our cruise. The holiday company haven't organised our visa, they've sent us a recommended agent who is trying to extort £40 for getting us a visa. That's £40 each. I know I can get a visa either via the Egyptian consulate less than three months before departure, or I can get one at the airport.

Thanks Rimms1 and Graham, you've told me what I wanted to hear. It seems an awful lot of messing about, posting passports away, rather than queue at a desk for a few minutes in Cairo.

Cheers,

Simon.
I got back from Luxor last week and we paid £12.50 each for the visa.
I wonder what the extra cost covers? £40 less the £15 visa, that's a fair profit for doing very little. To be honest, it's also a lot less hassle, I've queued in Turkey many times for a visa and it's no trouble.
I always get my visa from the Egyptian Consulate in London, its no big deal to post your passport recorded delivery and it usually gets returned within 2 weeks :tup I would rather not queue at Luxor when I arrive, each to his own I suppose :sun2
Thanks for all your help.

We are cruising on the Nesma, a Dahabiya. These boats have only 6 cabins. 12 guests and no children. Has anyone been on this type of cruise?

I haven't posted enough to give you a link, but if you google Dahabiya it should be the top result.

It looks wonderful, I'm now counting down.... sad or what?
any one got any expience of a nile cruise suitable for a wheelchair user Thanks. Kevin
Hi Kevin

:( I am sorry but to be honest I think you will struggle to find any Nile Cruise that is suitable for a wheelchair, in fact I would go as far as saying there are none.
The boats are accessed via gangways that are sometimes a bit precarious even for ambulant persons, they are also located down many steps to the banks of the Nile with no ramp access.
The boats are also often moored up to six deep and you have to pass through them to get to your boat and that is not possible for a wheelchair user.

I hope somebody is able to come on and give you better news but I doubt it.

Regards
Graham
anyone got any info on the suitability of a nile cruise for a wheelchair user
anyone got any info on the suitability of a nile cruise for a wheelchair user

As per the reply to your same question above I am afraid :(
We are off at the end of the month on a nile cruise, and i am wondering if you have to have the exact money for the Visa entry into Luxor? If so, does anyone know if it is £12.50 or £15.00?

Has anyone travelled on Magic II cruise boat, is so, any tips would be great :tup
Hi Carrie :wave:

No you don't need the exact money, what we do is put £15 per person in to the passport and then go to the very last small bank on the left as you go in to Luxor airport.
We have always been given change making the visa cost about £12 however some others went to different banks and didn't get any change from their £15, that is why we always use that same bank now.

Graham
That is great advice thank you Kiltman. How long would you say the transfer to where we pick the boat up is roughly? Would you say they do most of their sailing at night or in the afternoon after the tours?

Thanks for any help I always like to be well prepared :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.