General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Hi
Have you asked if you could hire one, sometimes you can. Sounds a bit dodgy a communal fridge. :yikes
M
hi helenT....drinks are easy.....put cold water in the bath or sink and stand the bottles in it....marge ect take a coolbag and a few freeze blocks ....use freezer in comunal frige to freeze blocks ...I wouldnt use comunal fridge....tweetie
Personally, I think you're asking for a diarrhoea and sickness if you're going to be messing about with food in a hot climate without a fridge, and if you start storing food in your room, you're inviting another family to share with 6 legs each.

I'd probably take the travel kettle and some coffee/teabags and dried milk, and maybe buy a nice cake or fresh crusty bread spread with some soft cheese or just a lump of cheese to eat on the balcony accompanied with a few fresh tomatoes for a quick snack, just enough for that day, but otherwise I would resign myself to the fact that I'm b/b and budget accordingly.
just checked our appt facilities we have a fridge but no kettle , but they are available to hire , i would also like to be able to buy bits and pieces to make lunch time snacks now and again as it will turn out very expensive dining out twice a day for the fortnight .
It will be cheaper to take a travel kettle with you ,snacks are easy,take a couple of picnic plates,knives, and buy bread cheese etc you could also take tinned pate,tuna etc if you really want to keep costs down.
thought it was strange not having a fridge but a comunal one.....when I went sc I used to take those packets of soup in a mug with pasta in...just add water and stir...and pot noodles ...just to keep the kids happy.....and I used to buy the tins of tuna with pasta and pepers ect in from lidle's....nice with a chunk of fresh bread...ring pull cans too so no need for a tin opener....and a squeezy bottle of mayo is useful to take too....wrap it tight in a few layers of cling film then in a zipper bag...incase of accidents...tweetie
I always thought that when you went s/c, you should have the facilities to do what the self catering stands for, but having b/b in a hotel would not mean any cooking facilities and there is sometimes the option to hire a mini-fridge or a fridge, but this is an option provide by individual hotels and not others.

What they probably mean by a communal fridge, is that they will make a space in their fridge(s) in the kitchen to store things for guests, such as stuff/medications that needs to be stored in a cool place, like for diabetics.

Sanji
  • Edited by Sanji 2010-05-05 14:11:25
No need for butter in Greece - do as the locals and use olive oil - it's cheap enough.
Ah, I didn't spot the B&B bit on first reading. I wouldn't expect a fridge on Bed and Breakfast, but I would Self Catering.
Hubby's got the answer - fill our pockets at brekkie so we'll have enough for lunch. :rofl Thinking back, wev'e been a few times B & B when we haven't had a fridge, but we've always eaten out at lunchtime & for evening meal. With the Euro being so poor, we just thought we'd have a change. It's not a big problem - but I don't fancy a warm brandy & lemonade on the balcony either. Even chilling the pop in their tap water will only cool it slightly, as their water isn't exactly cold!! No probs, I'll just have to force myself to keep eating & drinking out :tup
Actually the Euro is sliding thanks to the fiasco in Greece so you may not have this problem. €1.18 = £1 should happen within the hour and the ongoing riots in Athens aren't going to make the markets any more confident in this latest bail out plan.
I suggest buying a couple of baguettes each day and having ham or cheese. Will only be a few quid each day then. Ali Oli is nice to have on bread but obviously you'd have to buy it each day as wouldn't last outside the fridge!
I wouldn't bother lining your pockets with food at breakfast. Just imagine the state of the food by lunchtime. All hot and sweaty!!!. urghhh! :) Plus you may have the local Rozzers after you!
Get better accommodation in Kefalonia ??? Its a beautiful island and is indeed a bit basic but sharing a fridge is a bit too basic???
Too late now - it's already booked & to be honest we don't mind "slumming it" just to have our holiday in our beloved Greece. As I said in an earlier post we have no problem eating out - just fancied a change! These littles foibles are all part of "the Greek experience" for us. You can keep your 5* All Inclusive in this country - we like to experience the country as it is. So if the cupboard door is hanging on a nail & we have to wait an hour for our meal - so be it - bliss :sun2 :cheers
These littles foibles are all part of "the Greek experience" for us. You can keep your 5* All Inclusive in this country - we like to experience the country as it is. So if the cupboard door is hanging on a nail & we have to wait an hour for our meal - so be it - bliss

My sentiments exactly Helen- In fact, I'm just a little bit jealous that you're going back to Greece without me :cry Never mind I'm sure I'll enjoy Turkey :sun2 :cheers
Take some dry packet soups that you just add water too, all you need to do then is buy some nice crusty bread. Some of them are really lovely.
maybe there will be others in your position and they might have found wee sandwich shop that is not too expensive. ask others when you get there xphx :)
i know it might sound daft but those little fridges that hold 6 cans in would be ideal, it could be a hand luggage item dont think it would be resricted. believe me i've taken a toaster and travel type electric fan before now on holiday. self catering holidays have only just realised that people use them and those toaster bags are a god send lol.

this year going AI but need to buy a travel kettle i dumped our last one it was 20 years old.

Bev
I think that the trick in these situations is to think 'picnic' rather than meal. Shop daily for fresh rolls and a few slices of cold meat or cheese, a couple of pieces fruit, some olives, those ugly but tasty tomatoes that seem to be the norm in Greece and indulge yourself with the pastries and a nice bottle of wine. In my experience there is still a much stronger habit of shopping for fresh food on a daily basis and shopkeepers don't seem bothered about you buying in small quantities.

I've done this all over the place and not just in Greece. MMmm! It's all coming back to me - the crusty baguette and thick sliced ham eaten by the Seine in Paris, the jamon, olives and roast salted almonds washed down with a bottle of Manzanilla (we kept the plastic water cups from the plane!) in Seville, the tinned sardines in olive oil, avocados and crusty bread dipped in 'mojo' sauces in the Canaries! Delicious all of them! I'e even hardboiled eggs in the travel kettle - put them in with the cold water and leave the lid off so it won't switch itself off when it boils! But it helps if you remember to pack a corkscrew and a small knife in your hold luggage - my Swiss Army knife has been the key to many a picnic when staying B&B and not wanting to have to go in and sit down to eat in a bar or cafe for whatever reason.

SM
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.