Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Ocean Village
334 Posts
Hi Frankmitch,

Glad you had a nice time, shame though about the noise! I know exactly where you are coming from. On my first cruise on the Sundream our cabin was right near the back near the engines and I hardly slept a wink for days the noise was that bad. I really couldn't believe people slept in those cabins.

Anyway will look forward to reading your review.

All the best,

SAM
OV
Sorry to hear about your cabin, this is not good as, like you say A deck is the most expensive.
We were on B deck in the summer and didn't hear a thing.
Hi marjrie,

Yes I spoke to people on B deck who said the same, that they never heard anything. That's why we were so upset that we'd paid more in the expectation of a first class room and were badly let down.
Well, its nearly time for my next cruise - 2 weeks on the Ocean Village Sugar & Spice, Calypso & Coconuts on 11 Jan. I am sitting at my desk at work counting the days!

I have read all about the Ocean Village (thanks to everyone whose written a review!) but owing to a recent change in destinations I haven't got too much information on the best things to do when I get there!

The stops are; Barbados, Tortola, Antigua, Dominica, Trinidad, Grenada, Aruba, Curacao, Isla Margarita and Tobago. I heard they took out St Maarten because everyone spent all their money there and none on the boat :lol:
So if you have any not-to-be-missed trips, places or what-have-you, feel free to shout! Thanks everyone! -Gemma.
Hi Gemma

Incase you missed them, here are a couple of reviews in the discussion forum - Ocean Village - Reporter's Review, Sam Gidley's Ocean Village review and info at Ocean Village Q&As

Also, if you type the individual ports into the Search facility at the top of the page you may find further info either in the Cruise forum or Caribbean forum.

HTH

luci :wave
I hope you heeded my warning about cabins on A deck !

My advice about action ashore is,

Don't swim with dolphins on Isla Marguerita, its not worth the money, they are in an inland tank and they rip you off regarding photos (you are NOT allowed access to your own camares/camcorders). The beach at the end of the dock is nice enough for the few hours you have ashore and from what Ive seen of the island on the way to the dolphins, theres not that much worth seeing.
You can save a fortune going it alone on tours (on any island), but make sure you are in a group of at least 6 from your ship to get the price down, and make them tell you where they will take you and for how much before you agree. You can't miss private tour opertors as they will come to you as you leave the dock. In some places like Barbados, taxi tours have to be licenced and have to have an identity badge to prove it. Always check for this.
If you are lucky enough to go to Mayreau (instead of Grenada), do the Catamaran tour to Tobago Cays - its the highlight of the holiday !
I could go on, but that's all for now :D
Fortunately for me I am in cabin D108. Thanks for the tips on the dolphins. Its something I'd love to do but I worry about the dolphins!
Just returned from sugar & spice 14 -21 dec and had a great time
visited Aruba where we were told was great for shopping and my wife and my wallet found out how true that was luckily we had a trip booked for the afternoon so the spending had to stop.Quad biking! first time any of uor party had done it and it was well wotrh the money £60 each a great way to see the sights and fun the guides do all the safty rules you get googles :shock: and helmets and away you go single seat quads also a few hours later you can buy your souviner photo and t-shirt $20.TIP try to buy the photo without the t-shirt

Curacao- short visit took a taxi to where they make the famous drink ( bit boring really ) $15 round trip see the sights along the way get dropped off in the town have a couple of beers on the pavement cafe.

isla Margarita - Mountain biking sounds hard but its not, almost level everwhere. if you want to see real people in real surroundings do this trip at £29 its a bargain and the guides are great . TIP ask for a gel saddle

ST Lucia another first for me,Horse riding it is run by a woman who started it as an animal refuge.As a first time rider ( exept the southend 1963 donkey derby when i fell off ) i was a little worried but need not have been , guides were good and horses were calm TIP when you get to the beach do everything thats offered you may never get the chance again

Tobago - we had to tender in this port but because of bad weather never made it ashore.

Barbados - Brilliant spent the first week here and loved it, if you do anything swim with the turtles its the best half day out of the whole two weeks also buy something with diamonds in you will not buy at cheaper prices at home ( so my wife tells me ! ) TIP swim with turtles

4 of us went on holiday together aged 40+ and all done these trips
Hi Tony and welcome to HT!

Some excellent tips there. Thanks for posting the info.

Hi Gemma,

Will give you a quick update on the islands I have visited and hope this is useful:

Barbados - you will get a full day here so a trip would probably be a good idea. I personally would like to do the helicopter trip here (have done this already in Antigua) although this may not be something that takes your fancy. You can walk into the town (which is what I have done twice) and do some shopping, good duty free prices. If you prefer to chill out take a taxi from the port to the Boatyard, a beach nearby. Remember to always agree taxi fares beforehand.

Tortola - British Virgin Islands - As per my review most people visit Sky World and Cane Garden Bay Beach. I enjoyed the day I had here however next time I visit I would really like to do the Baths of Virgin Gorda trip. Other people who had done this trip spoke really highly of it and often it also includes a trip to Sky World afterwards. You can make your own way to the beach from the dockside, usually sharing with others. The taxi driver dropped us all off and picked us up later an agreed time and we paid on the return journey.

Antigua - As already said I did the helicopter trip here. Some good shopping to be done (diamonds and cosmetics etc) by where you dock. Had I not done the helicopter trip I would have opted for swimming with turtles. There are plenty of taxi drivers if you prefer to get a taxi to one of the many lovely beaches.

Grenada - On the day we visited I was nursing the hangover from hell and consequently just took a water taxi over to Grand Anse beach and chilled in one of the bars (with a coke!). A lovely stretch of beach although crowded. There are lots of trips to be done and many people I spoke with said Grenada was their favourite island although it is not mine.

Aruba - One of the favourite islands of mine, a member of the Dutch Antilles so has lovely brightly painted houses. A very nice clean town where you dock and it's nice to have a pleasant walk round the harbour. There is some good duty free shopping to be done in the shops. In the afternoon we took a taxi to the Sheraton Hotel (formerly, has now changed its name) and used the facilities there and sunbathed on the lovely Palm Beach.

Curaco - Again part of the Dutch Antilles although in my opinion not as nice as Aruba. We booked a trip to the nearby Sea Aquarium in the morning where my boyfriend did the diving (first time) and I snorkelled. Nice enough and I would recommend suitable for first or not experienced divers. In the afternoon we walked across the rickety swinging bridge into town.

Isla Margarita - Not much to do where you dock. There is a beach nearby (which had the warmest sea ever) as well as the usual craft stalls. We spent the morning and early afternoon on the beach and then went back on board for lunch and then sunbathed. Not an island I personally would rush back to visit to be honest.

Tobago - Very little to do where you dock, poor Country and it shows. We took a taxi to Pigeon Point Beach which is probably one of the most famous beaches in the Caribbean. This was the only beach we visited which we had to pay to enter. Steel band playing, food huts etc there. Nice enough beach although I preferred Palm Beach in Aruba.

Shame you are not visiting St. Maarten - the shopping there is the best I have seen anywhere.

Hope you have a fabulous time, I am sure you will.
Hi does anyone know if the Ocean Village is any good for children and teenagers and do many famillies go? Or is it just aimed at adults?
Thanks Chris
i was on ocean village last year and there were a number of children and teenagers on board and to be honest i hardly noticed them. the ship runs a kids club and most seemed to attend that. there was a disco in the bayside club every evening until approximately 11.30pm, after that it was then the adult nightclub.

my personal opinion is that a cruise would be really good for children and younger teenagers.
I was on Ocean Village February 2004, and it coincided with the english half term. We met a couple with small children who were on their second OV cruise. They said the kiddies club was brilliant and the evening creche even better. The children were put to bed in the creche after lots of fun and you could leave them there until 1am. They took a portable DVD player with them so the children could watch a film as they alway woke up early.
Another couple who had older children were very impressed, with the variety of options for their children/teenagers. We went the River Hike and abseiling trip and there were some teenagers there (14/15 years) who were allowed to come along without parents.
I think the fact that we hardly saw any children hanging around must have meant they were being adequately entertained somewhere on board.
My husband and I are going on our first cruise on the Ocean Village in April. '05 (Sugar and Spice/Calypso and Coconuts) and are wondering if anyone can give us any info as to which excursions to do as we are going to about 11 different destinations and cannot afford to do everything!
We were thinking of doing the standard tours of the islands in about 4-5 of the destinations, but which of the islands are the best to see??
Can anyone recommend any of the excursions that they did that they really enjoyed? Does the ship dock for you to be able to walk into the nearest town? Are you able to buy alcohol to take on board as gifts for relatives back home as I heard that all bags are searched and that alcohol is forbidden to take on the ship! Will my husband get seasick as he's quite worried about this? Any help would be gratefully received!
Transferred from a separate topic

chizz
New User...

2 HTPoints

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:42 pm Post subject: First time cruiser on the Ocean Village

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My husband and I are going on our first cruise on the Ocean Village in April. '05 (Sugar and Spice/Calypso and Coconuts) and are wondering if anyone can give us any info as to which excursions to do as we are going to about 11 different destinations and cannot afford to do everything!
We were thinking of doing the standard tours of the islands in about 4-5 of the destinations, but which of the islands are the best to see??
Can anyone recommend any of the excursions that they did that they really enjoyed? Does the ship dock for you to be able to walk into the nearest town? Are you able to buy alcohol to take on board as gifts for relatives back home as I heard that all bags are searched and that alcohol is forbidden to take on the ship! Will my husband get seasick as he's quite worried about this? Any help would be gratefully received!
Hi chizz and welcome to HT!

We currently have a topic open regarding the Ocean Village which may answer most of your questions here:

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=175902#175902

I have transferred your post across and shall lock this one to avoid duplication.

hi chizz, we went on ocean village the year before last around the med so cannot help you re excursions, but regards to alcohol, they did search bags and any alcohol purchased was tagged and sealed so you couldnt open it on board. sorry!
but the drinks are not expensive, actually cheaper than they are in our local, beer was something like £2.20 a pint and cola, lemonade etc 80p i think. they alos sell the good old crisps and nuts at the bar!
one other tip though is that the bistro restaurant that you pay a £5 surcharge to get in gets booked for the whole of the cruise straight away, so plan your nights and get booked in. it is really good and the service is excellent.
joe
We are doing the Sugar and Spice/Calypso and Coconuts on Feb 8th 2005 :lol: so i will try and report back as soon as we get back.
hi ya, we went on ocean village round the med the year before last, we have 2 children, they were 4 and 10 months when we went. BRILLIANT FOR KIDS. the childrens clubs are devided by age group, they have their own deck with a small paddling pool, complete with plastic boats, bockets etc. it is open something like 9-1, 2-5 6-3am
the creche takes children under the age of 5 in the night nursery, free upto midnight and then something like £3 per hour, children close to 5 sleep on beds and the younger ones in cots, they even give you a pager to get in touch if they need you.
they can have their tea seperately at 5ish and if you have a wee one that is on purees the chef will puree any food you need. you have a mini bar/fridge in your cabin so you can keep food in there if you need to.
we went in june and the ship wasn't over run with children.
you will have a great time
joe
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.