Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Ocean Village
334 Posts
travelling on the oceana at xmas around the sunny(hopefully) caribbean. has anyone got any tips/dosand donts for the ship. - where are the best evening entertainment spots etc

is casual dress on those evenings equal to a polo shirt and trousers or do people expect you to have a jacket on as well :D
digimix

(1/12/03 15:08)
Reply | Edit | Del All
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is probably the best vacation I have ever had (and we have done three this year so far). The only drawback to this cruise was that the ship had to miss one port (Bonaire) because of a delay in the flight from London which had 300 passengers. The rest of us stayed on board waiting for them to finally arrive. Some people went to management to have them still go to Bonaire we even signed a petition. At the end we did not go but got a sum of £100 credit per person for the inconvenience. (We did shop)

SERVICE: The Staff is mainly Filippinos, some Indians and the white collar staff is British. No on serves like the Fillipinos staff always friendly and smiling. I must say that the servive reminds me of the all inclusive hotel Sandals that we have here at home in Jamaica.

CABINS: We chose the cheapest cabin money can buy and I was scared that it may be a dingy dungon. However My wife jumped with joy as she stepped in through the door, it was beautifully furnished and very clean. And was maintained at that level throughout our entire stay.
We used the passenger channel on the t.v. to tell us what outside looks like and to know when morning comes as we were in an inner cabin without any windows .

BARS:We are not drinkers but there were many bars to choose from and they were always filled with people especially the Connections Bar during Comedy hour.

RESTAURANTS:
There are two main restaurants; The Plantation which is self service and the Waterfront - also self service. We ate mostly at the Plantations because it is a 24hr service as well as they do oriental cooking which we both love but waterfront had soup which we needed. The two other restaurants; The Bistro is a waiter served restaurant with food designed by James Martin; a TV chef . I had shrimp something (can't speak french), the duck(something) for the first time I should have stayed with the chicken! finished with the peanut cheese cake (now that was different) Excellent. The Bistro charges £12.5 per head extra and you need to book in advance. The final restaurant is La Luna. As with the Bistro you need to book and the food is of a Mediterranean theme.

ENTERTAINMENT:
Better can be found at your average karoke bar. However the acrobats had a few moves to see.

EXCURSIONS:
Quite reasonable compared to other cruises. The variety is second to none with at least 6 to 8 choices at every port. Grenada is the most beautiful of all the ports we visited . If you do the calypso coconut itinerary you must do the St. Maarten port Tip: Ensure you are back on board before the ship leaves. A week before our cruise 3 people got drunk and missed the ship's departure, hired a boat to catch the ship, two got on , the other lady was so drunk she could'nt help herself onto the ship
even with the guys trying to help her. She had to stay in a hotel in Antigua at a cost to her and also pay her way back home!!!!

KIDS FACILITIES:
A good club for them, and even a toddler pool on the kids deck. We do not have kids but my guess is that children were pretty occupied as I do not remember seeing them around !

ON-BOARD SHOPPING:
Don't buy Duty free's or films at the ports, the ship' Emporium and Bazzar is far cheaper .

CRUISE OVERALL:
The cruise was Excellent, The ship was Excellent The entertainment was .....well..... I've seen better and they could use some variety and more modern stuff. Food was cross-cultural. Bistro is good but at service charge of £12.5 you may want to think twice. I am already planning to do another of their cruises in Europe next summer!!!
This Ship Rocks..

Blue Eyes 2002
Senior moderator
(1/12/03 18:50)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter

Re: Ocean Village sugar & spice Nov 18 review
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Digimix,

Thanks so much for the review, it was great...

Thanks Again

Sandi

luci5

(1/12/03 19:45)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter

Enjoyed reading your review Digimix, thanks for posting.

*edit - sp

Edited by: luci5 at: 2/12/03 15:03

BRENDAT

(1/12/03 20:45)
Reply | Edit | Del OV 18th Nov
Hi Digimix.
We second everything you have said. It was our first cruise and I am already looking for another, for two weeks next November. Looked out for you, hoped we may bump into you but no luck. Asked a few people if they had come from Jamaica to see if it was you but to no avail. Mind you got funny looks when I asked if they had bumped into you. how did we miss you.?

digimix

(2/12/03 15:35)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: OV 18th Nov
Brendat we were looking for you. which room were you in and what excursions did you do?

BRENDAT

(2/12/03 20:57)
Reply | Edit | Del OV 18th
Hi Digimix, we was on deck 8 D136. restricted view with lifeboat. Went on beach in Isla Margarita, just off the boat. Spirits of St. Lucia in St. Lucia. Dominica my huasband went on Dominicas favourtite and I went on Layou Scenic Drive. Greneda Scenes of Greneda and Beach. how about yourselves.? Have you read a review on the other cruise site.Ship Happens UK Cruising Chat.- two men complained the OV was awful. afraid It got my back up and I left a reply.

digimix

(2/12/03 21:45)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: OV 18th
Good to hear from you Brendat. We did:-
Isla Margarita
B1 Discover Margarita

St Lucia
D1 Sail, Sea & Swim

Dominica
L1 layou Scenic Drive

Grenada
The Island Spice tour

Could you send me the link to the thread on the ship happends website. I can't find it on the site.

Blue Eyes 2002
Senior moderator
(2/12/03 23:06)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter

Re: OV 18th
Digimix,

The link for ship happens is in Here

HTH

Sandi

BRENDAT

(3/12/03 12:38)
Reply | Edit | Del Trips on OV
Hi Digimix, we went on one trip together then Dominica. Did you get up on stage and dance at the end.? I did. Have you a photo you could send me of the both of you. see if I did see you. what cabin was you in?

digimix

(3/12/03 16:41)
No I do not dance. We were in p118 on the 5th floor same as the reception area, village square, etc. (the most beautiful part of the ship) smile.
We took over 400 film photos I will scan one and email it to you soon, you should do the same so that I can see if I possibly passed you on board.

digimix

(3/12/03 16:48)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Trips on OV
PS
Brendat,
I Dominica there was only one couple on the bus with us. We were the last ones on that excursion and I was hoping that it was you guys but her name was not @#%$ and they are from Ireland .

BRENDAT

(3/12/03 17:25)
Reply | Edit | Del Photos
Hi again Digimix looking forward to the photo. will get one sent down to you. is there anyway we can send direct to each others email address I wonder.? OK back to Dominica trip can you remember where you sat in the room where dancing and singing took place.? myself and another lady pulled up two chairs at the right hand side (looking at stage) onto the end of a line.

digimix

(3/12/03 19:46)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Photos
I found your email on the other site and will send you email shortly.
In Dominica we were at the absolute back left side.

grahame rose
New User...
(9/12/03 14:57)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Ocean Village sugar & spice Nov 18 review
We are off on a two week cruise on Ocean Village on 6 January so good to read your review.

Will post our own when we return.

morgje
New User...
(10/12/03 13:06)
Reply | Edit | Del
Hi, new user here!!

myself and my parter and family are going on the ocean village from the 23th of december to the 6th of january and i was wodering if any of you had stayed in a restricted veiw cabin as that's what me and my partner will be in (my parents got the better cabin!!) and also what to avoid/expect and what to definately not miss!!

thanks in advance
David

digimix

(10/12/03 17:38)
Welcome Majore, You will be having a great time I promise. The cabin you refer to is not bad, the life boat is generally hanging before the window but you generally see around it some. Anyhow most of the time you should be outside enjoying the sun, sand, surf and sex. Use the cabin only as a bedroom to sleep late at nights. You are on the Coconuts & calypso itinerary :- St. Maarten is an absolute must see especially the french side, Food is devine. Shopping on the Dutch side is cheeeeeap!!!

Only avoid missing your departure please it is easy to get caught up and lose time because of all the fun.

BRENDAT

(10/12/03 18:50)
Reply | Edit | Del restricted cabin
Hello Morgie,
Just like Digimix said you will enjoy.!! we had a restricted view cabin on OV last month. deck 8. we could see underneath it, at the sea. also at the left hand side of it (it was the end of one boat and then a gap before another lifeboat ). can still see day light when you wake up.
Have a great time.!
blueeyes2002 wrote:
digimix

(1/12/03 15:08)
Reply | Edit | Del All
This is probably the best vacation I have ever had (and we have done three this year so far). The only drawback to this cruise was that the ship had to miss one port (Bonaire) because of a delay in the flight from London which had 300 passengers. The rest of us stayed on board waiting for them to finally arrive. Some people went to management to have them still go to Bonaire we even signed a petition. At the end we did not go but got a sum of £100 credit per person for the inconvenience. (We did shop)

SERVICE: The Staff is mainly Filippinos, some Indians and the white collar staff is British. No on serves like the Fillipinos staff always friendly and smiling. I must say that the servive reminds me of the all inclusive hotel Sandals that we have here at home in Jamaica.

CABINS: We chose the cheapest cabin money can buy and I was scared that it may be a dingy dungon. However My wife jumped with joy as she stepped in through the door, it was beautifully furnished and very clean. And was maintained at that level throughout our entire stay.
We used the passenger channel on the t.v. to tell us what outside looks like and to know when morning comes as we were in an inner cabin without any windows .

BARS:We are not drinkers but there were many bars to choose from and they were always filled with people especially the Connections Bar during Comedy hour.

RESTAURANTS:
There are two main restaurants; The Plantation which is self service and the Waterfront - also self service. We ate mostly at the Plantations because it is a 24hr service as well as they do oriental cooking which we both love but waterfront had soup which we needed. The two other restaurants; The Bistro is a waiter served restaurant with food designed by James Martin; a TV chef . I had shrimp something (can't speak french), the duck(something) for the first time I should have stayed with the chicken! finished with the peanut cheese cake (now that was different) Excellent. The Bistro charges £12.5 per head extra and you need to book in advance. The final restaurant is La Luna. As with the Bistro you need to book and the food is of a Mediterranean theme.

ENTERTAINMENT:
Better can be found at your average karoke bar. However the acrobats had a few moves to see.

EXCURSIONS:
Quite reasonable compared to other cruises. The variety is second to none with at least 6 to 8 choices at every port. Grenada is the most beautiful of all the ports we visited . If you do the calypso coconut itinerary you must do the St. Maarten port Tip: Ensure you are back on board before the ship leaves. A week before our cruise 3 people got drunk and missed the ship's departure, hired a boat to catch the ship, two got on , the other lady was so drunk she could'nt help herself onto the ship
even with the guys trying to help her. She had to stay in a hotel in Antigua at a cost to her and also pay her way back home!!!!

KIDS FACILITIES:
A good club for them, and even a toddler pool on the kids deck. We do not have kids but my guess is that children were pretty occupied as I do not remember seeing them around !

ON-BOARD SHOPPING:
Don't buy Duty free's or films at the ports, the ship' Emporium and Bazzar is far cheaper .

CRUISE OVERALL:
The cruise was Excellent, The ship was Excellent The entertainment was .....well..... I've seen better and they could use some variety and more modern stuff. Food was cross-cultural. Bistro is good but at service charge of £12.5 you may want to think twice. I am already planning to do another of their cruises in Europe next summer!!!
This Ship Rocks..

Blue Eyes 2002
Senior moderator
(1/12/03 18:50)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter

Hi Digimix,

Thanks so much for the review, it was great...

Thanks Again

Sandi

luci5

(1/12/03 19:45)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter

Enjoyed reading your review Digimix, thanks for posting.

*edit - sp

Edited by: luci5 at: 2/12/03 15:03

BRENDAT

(1/12/03 20:45)
Reply | Edit | Del OV 18th Nov
Hi Digimix.
We second everything you have said. It was our first cruise and I am already looking for another, for two weeks next November. Looked out for you, hoped we may bump into you but no luck. Asked a few people if they had come from Jamaica to see if it was you but to no avail. Mind you got funny looks when I asked if they had bumped into you. how did we miss you.?

digimix

(2/12/03 15:35)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: OV 18th Nov
Brendat we were looking for you. which room were you in and what excursions did you do?

BRENDAT

(2/12/03 20:57)
Reply | Edit | Del OV 18th
Hi Digimix, we was on deck 8 D136. restricted view with lifeboat. Went on beach in Isla Margarita, just off the boat. Spirits of St. Lucia in St. Lucia. Dominica my huasband went on Dominicas favourtite and I went on Layou Scenic Drive. Greneda Scenes of Greneda and Beach. how about yourselves.? Have you read a review on the other cruise site.Ship Happens UK Cruising Chat.- two men complained the OV was awful. afraid It got my back up and I left a reply.

digimix

(2/12/03 21:45)
Good to hear from you Brendat. We did:-
Isla Margarita
B1 Discover Margarita

St Lucia
D1 Sail, Sea & Swim

Dominica
L1 layou Scenic Drive

Grenada
The Island Spice tour

Could you send me the link to the thread on the ship happends website. I can't find it on the site.

Blue Eyes 2002
Senior moderator
(2/12/03 23:06)
Reply | Edit | Del
ezSupporter

Re: OV 18th
Digimix,

The link for ship happens is in Here

HTH

Sandi

BRENDAT

(3/12/03 12:38)
Reply | Edit | Del Trips on OV
Hi Digimix, we went on one trip together then Dominica. Did you get up on stage and dance at the end.? I did. Have you a photo you could send me of the both of you. see if I did see you. what cabin was you in?

digimix

(3/12/03 16:41)
No I do not dance. We were in p118 on the 5th floor same as the reception area, village square, etc. (the most beautiful part of the ship) smile.
We took over 400 film photos I will scan one and email it to you soon, you should do the same so that I can see if I possibly passed you on board.

digimix

(3/12/03 16:48)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Trips on OV
PS
Brendat,
I Dominica there was only one couple on the bus with us. We were the last ones on that excursion and I was hoping that it was you guys but her name was not @#%$ and they are from Ireland .

BRENDAT

(3/12/03 17:25)
Reply | Edit | Del Photos
Hi again Digimix looking forward to the photo. will get one sent down to you. is there anyway we can send direct to each others email address I wonder.? OK back to Dominica trip can you remember where you sat in the room where dancing and singing took place.? myself and another lady pulled up two chairs at the right hand side (looking at stage) onto the end of a line.

digimix

(3/12/03 19:46)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Photos
I found your email on the other site and will send you email shortly.
In Dominica we were at the absolute back left side.

grahame rose
New User...
(9/12/03 14:57)
We are off on a two week cruise on Ocean Village on 6 January so good to read your review.

Will post our own when we return.

morgje
New User...
(10/12/03 13:06)
Reply | Edit | Del
Hi, new user here!!

myself and my parter and family are going on the ocean village from the 23th of december to the 6th of january and i was wodering if any of you had stayed in a restricted veiw cabin as that's what me and my partner will be in (my parents got the better cabin!!) and also what to avoid/expect and what to definately not miss!!

thanks in advance
David

digimix

(10/12/03 17:38)
Welcome Majore, You will be having a great time I promise. The cabin you refer to is not bad, the life boat is generally hanging before the window but you generally see around it some. Anyhow most of the time you should be outside enjoying the sun, sand, surf and sex. Use the cabin only as a bedroom to sleep late at nights. You are on the Coconuts & calypso itinerary :- St. Maarten is an absolute must see especially the french side, Food is devine. Shopping on the Dutch side is cheeeeeap!!!

Only avoid missing your departure please it is easy to get caught up and lose time because of all the fun.

BRENDAT

(10/12/03 18:50)
Reply | Edit | Del restricted cabin
Hello Morgie,
Just like Digimix said you will enjoy.!! we had a restricted view cabin on OV last month. deck 8. we could see underneath it, at the sea. also at the left hand side of it (it was the end of one boat and then a gap before another lifeboat ). can still see day light when you wake up.
Have a great time.!
:lol:
Firstly I apologise if these have been answered elsewhere - but I couldn't find them :D

We hope to cruise with OV, as a family, in December 2005

1. Has anyone been on OV with kids, and at this time of year? (mine will be 9 and 10 years old)
2. Anyone had a family cabin? How does it compare in size to say a Thomsons ship?
3. Is it possible to do excursions yourself or are the organised ones reasonably priced?
4. Do they do the Captains Dinner?

thats all for now folks :wink:
Thanks in advance.
Hi :D,

I recently did a Caribbean Cruise on OV (April) and it was brilliant. I am only 28 and don't have any kids so can't really help on the family rooms etc but what I will say is that the kids we did see seemed to have a fantastic time and were kept so well entertained we hardly saw them. The kids club on board seems fantastic, they have a disco in the nightclub of an evening which then later is for adults only. We met a single mum of a 13 year old girl who made some really good friends and was always off doing one thing or another! Also with it being a ship I think most of the parents felt comfortable allowing their children to go off and do their own thing, its hardly like they can wander off and get lost, well not for long anyway!

With regard to excursions the tour type trips can always be done cheaper by taxi and that is so easy to organise. Anything specialised is probably better arranged on board. We actually booked all our trips on board and they were really well organised. We did a land and sea tour in Tortola which was catamaran sailing and then a land tour. Later on we got our own taxi to Cane Garden Bay beach which is lovely. In St. Maarten we did nothing but shop all day! In St. Kitts we did a full day sail to St. Nevis which was brilliant (plenty of rum punch supplied), in Antigua we did the helicopter excursion and again this will brilliant and in Mayreau we sailed to Tobago Cays. Its worth mentioning that I tried to pre-booked the helicopter tour and swimming with dolphins in Tortola privately before I went but was unable to do so, the ships sometimes stop the companies taking private bookings when they are in port! :cry:

Oh and no I don't remember a captains dinner!

If I can help with anything please ask!

SAM 8)
Thanks Sam!

Didn't realise you could do a dolphin trip in Tortola. We were there on a Thomsons carribean cruise a few years back (without the kids)

What prices were the trips?
The dolphin trip wasn't actually listed in the Action Ashore booklet however I knew it was available on board via the Ship Happens website. I am not too sure of the price as we did the land and sea tour but I think it was about £80 ish. Like I said the company would not let you do this independently. Apparently on a previous occassion the passengers on OV found out how much cheaper it was to do independently and there was a huge fuss with mile long queue's in the reception area!!! Hence the reason they now stop the company from doing the trip independently. If (and when!) I do go back to Tortola I think I will do the Baths of Virgin Gorda trip, from other people's photographs this looked amazing, catamaran sail out there and then to the rocks and a private beach, although the people we spoke to wished they had longer there!

Are you visiting Aruba? They have dolphin shows out there although they are in a sea aquarium and I am not sure how much interaction you get, it didn't look like very much from what I saw. My boyfriend did some diving there and I did some snorkelling.

Regards.
We did the Baths of Virgin Gorda!
But we walked to it! You'd to climb through the rocks (which looked like huge polystyrene ones from an old Star Trek movie :lol:
It was amazing and the snorkelling in the little inlet was great - we too would have liked longer. Dunno if my behind would fit through the rock climb now though :oops:

When we do the OV cruise we plan to do the back to back cruise so yes Aruba would be on the list. My daughter wants to go there simply because she has a Ty beanie fish with the same name :roll:
So you have done the Baths then!

Aruba is lovely, its got some nice shops where you dock and is lovely for a walk around. We got a taxi to the Sheraton which is located on Palm Beach and is lovely (has changed names since but the taxi drivers know it as this) and then used their facilities.

Thinking about it the sea aquarium is in Curaco and as I said I said they have dolphin shows on there and dolphin encounters etc, try http://www.curacao-sea-aquarium.com. I don't know whether you would be able to book this independently - it is only a short taxi ride away from where you dock!

Let me know if you need anything further :lol:
:lol: there are no captains night or dinners on Ocean Village as it is casual style ship .The rooms are big compared to other ships i ve heard , and you can get off and organize your own trips at most ports if you wish as there are info stands and taxis everywhere.
We went of OV in February, and found the organised trips to be brilliant value. The Quad, biking in St Kitts was particularly good. We always booked for the morning trips as it made the day seem longer. It was getting dark by about 6.45pm. Spoke to people with children and as long as you book an organised trip you can leave your kids aboard. It is either free of charge or if not very cheap. One trip I would definately recommend is the River Hike and absail in Dominica. You have to be reasonably fit and quite brave. But it was really good. You can usually share taxi's with other Cruisers, to make outings cheaper and will meet up with them at the taxi stand. One tip please DON'T GO to the Capital in Margarita, it is promoted for its 'designer shops'. It is the most run-down, noisy, and intimadating place. The back streets are dirty and smelly, traffic horrendous. As for the designer shops, even some of the posh looking ones are selling fakes. Margarita is a very pretty Island and the beach close to the landing stage is lovely. It's not worth spending money getting into the Capital.

There is definately no Captain's dinner. We had a lovely, time. The evening entertainment however is definately missing something. But a few drinks and early mornings, meant that it was not that important to us.
This review is from what I posted on another website and was cruising round the Caribbean on Calypso & Coconuts, links to photos as follows:

http://uk.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sam_gidley/album?.dir=/4ffb

My friend and I, 2 girls (strictly platonic) aged 28 and 27 went on Ocean Village on 30th March for one week Calypso & Coconuts and had a great time, really didn't want to come back. I have cruised before last April (2003) on the Sundream and my friend was a first-timer who is now hooked! We paid £670 each inclusive of insurance etc and were really pleased with the value for money.

I will start the review from the beginning:

THE FLIGHT & ARRIVAL - 9.30am from Manchester - we are less than a half hour drive away so did not have too much of an early start however when we arrived about 7.15am we found that the majority of the passengers had already checked in and to be able to be seated together we had to sit right at the very back of the plane - never mind, at least we were near to the WC's. The flight itself was okay and the food quite nice. We had a bottle of champagne straight away (start as we mean to go on!) and slept the second part of the journey. We had no problem checking in for the ship and were on board within 5 minutes of arriving. We cleverly took a bikini and some skimpy clothes in our hand luggage so were on the top deck sunbathing by about 3.30pm.

The Gatwick flight was quite badly delayed and I felt so sorry for the passengers who did not arrive on board until about 3.30am early hours in the morning (although I must admit I was glad it did not happen to our flight!). Apparently they were treated really well and were all put up at the Hilton Hotel where they had lunch and dinner and then received a number of free drinks once they did arrive on the ship. The Manchester passengers returning on this flight were then kept on board for the remainder of the day.

CABINS & SHIP - Compared to the Sundream the ship is quite large and I did not experience any feeling of sickness whatsoever (unlike last year) although my friend Kim was a bit queasy for the first day - I told her she just needed to find her sea legs! The seasickness jab did not come cheap at £60 so she was glad she did not need to resort to this, the £60 is much better spent in St. Maarten! The ship itself was generally quite nice and our cabin was more than acceptable. We were on Deck 10, B164 inside cabin and our maid was a young girl called Let Let who was very nice. The shower was VERY powerful which was heaven after a long days shopping or sunbathing. A good tip is to take an extension lead (as we did) as we only had the one single plug under the dressing table. We tipped Let Let at the end of the week and also left her our unwanted toiletries.

FOOD - Being a fussy eater (very fussy for that matter) I did not rate the food very highly. Breakfast we usually ate in the Waterfront and I considered this the best meal of the day - the sausages and eggs were both really nice - the toast though was always well done and really hard. A couple of mornings we came across English muffins, which were nice. For lunch we generally ate off the ship however there was always salad stuff and barm cakes and cooked meats and then hotdogs and burgers etc although I did not rate them very highly, in fact I tried one of each and didn't bother getting another. For our evening meal I usually ate some salad with cheese and crackers or something along those lines (and I can't afford to lose any weight either - am skinny enough) and Kim usually ate in the Plantations. She did not rate the Chinese / Thai type food however she said the curry was usually very nice. We ate once in La Luna of an evening and sat outside under the stars which was nice and made a change. The food was just okay though and not really worth paying for again. Luckily for me all the bars on board served Walkers Crisps (oooh being a crisp addict I was in my element) although on a daily basis or very nearly so we were served them out of date so check the packets. It also didn't matter how many times we returned them and said they were out of date we were still served them again the day after!

BARS / NIGHTLIFE - In the evening there is very little to do really for 2 youngish girls on their own however we did not go away for the nightlife so were aware of that already. THE OVAL has absolutely no atmosphere at all and was usually quite empty. There was never any music in there either. THE CONNEXIONS BAR generally had something going on every night and usually got very busy. Davey Nicholls was on a couple of nights singing and I found him to be just okay, certainly not the best singer in the world. The quizzes were okay, usually involved music of some sort. The comedian was to me not one bit funny really although I suppose it depends on your sense of humour. In general though Connexions was probably the best place for drinks earlier on in the evening. THE MARQUEE was where all the shows took place although to be honest we really only caught bits of these. Jacki Graham has a good voice and she was singing here and she is actually a very nice person - we got talking to her around the ship a number of times. The George Michael tribute act was quite reasonable also. We managed to miss both the Moon Show and the Diva Experience however having met one of the acrobats Leo over the last few nights and becoming very friendly with him he provided us with a CD of such shows and having watched it at home we were sorry we did not make more of an effort to see it in person. If anyone one was watching Leo and Fabian doing acrobatics on stilts in the Village Square on the last evening I was the girl they pulled up dancing (how embarrassing) and threw to the ceiling, thank god I was wearing trousers for once (well pedal pushers at least!). THE BAYSIDE CLUB was really good the last couple of nights once everybody had got to know everybody and people were mixing and dancing together etc. There ended up quite a group of us and it was the most fun we had all week. Before that everybody tended to sit in their own little groups. I was only sorry we were all not on board for another week and we could have partied there. They also did the best Strawberry Daiquiris on board, I came home addicted to this drink!

CYBER CAFÃ"° - We did not use this due to the cost this and after speaking to some of the staff on board they did not either. I was going to use an internet cafe in St. Maarten but unfortunately for our credit and debit cards we never managed to get there!

OTHER PEOPLE ON BOARD - I found the majority to be of the older generation (to say the least) and at least 85% of the people on board to be extremely unfriendly to 2 younger girls on their own, I found that even some of the girls on the staff were like this (Gemma and Jo not included). Most people looked at me with disgust because I chose not to dress in long flowery dresses every evening and the looks I received were plain disgusting - good job I am not easily offended so to any of those people, you just made me laugh and I took great pleasure in doing it all the more! Sorry if I am not overweight and old, it will happen one day - well the age bit certainly! Anyway I made more effort that some people I witnessed, ladies wondering round in the evening in football shirts and some in clothes I wouldn't even decorate in! Besides these small minded people we met a small number of older couples and groups who were very friendly and with whom it was a pleasure to speak to although like I said these people were in the minority.

TRIPS - We booked all our trips via OV and were pleased with every single one of them. In TORTOLA we did a land and sea tour which was a catamaran tour in the morning (no snorkelling stops) with a trip to some botanical gardens afterwards which was okay especially if you like that sort of thing then on to Sky World for pictures. On our return about 1.15pm we made our way (with a very friendly older couple) to Cane Garden Bay Beach, which was quite a nice beach and was not too overcrowded. In ST. MAARTEN we didn't book any excursions as we had planned to shop and boy did we shop! We bought diamond rings and watches, cigarettes, make-up, Clinique stuff, perfume, bags, alcohol - believe me the list is endless. We were especially pleased with our diamonds!!! Beware though of what you get told the exchange rate is, in general it usually works out about 1.75 however shops will tell you today its 1.84 (a blatant lie) so when you then try and work out the price of something it appears to be much cheaper - we quickly learnt this! In ST. KITTS we did a full days catamaran sail to ST. NEVIS and having looked around the port area and spoken to people who did other trips or made their own way about I believe we made a good choice. We had a snorkelling stop then a barbecue on the beach at Nevis. Kim and I had a good walk down the beach here, climbed over some rocks and arrived at the exclusive Four Seasons Hotel where apparently Justin Timberlake had stayed only 2 weeks earlier - good job we did not bump into Justin as we may not have returned!! On the way home it was really good fun - all the oldies had consumed more rum punch than is possible to imagine and were up dancing and singing etc, a great laugh. In ANTIGUA we had a walk round the town in the morning and managed to fit in yet more shopping can you believe then at 12.30pm we had the helicopter tour which was fantastic, we were in a 4-seater and I had the front seat next to the pilot as they noticed I was carrying a camcorder so sat me there - it really was value for money and I am only sorry we could not stay and see more of Antigua. On the downside the taxi drivers, hair braiders etc around the terminal constantly pester you. We did see the Jolly Roger party cruise returning and a lot of the same Nevis people going wild once again on the rum punch - its potent! In MAYREAU we took the sail to TOBAGO CAYS which was a nice view - we were on the smaller catamaran so it was nice and peaceful and we then chilled on the Cays beach and in the sea however I managed to get quite a nasty sting in there along with a few other people. When we returned we had a barbecue lunch on Mayreau beach and it was quite busy. Shortly afterwards most people started drifting off back to the ship as the heat was hotter than you can imagine - I am generally really good at lying in the sun and I spent most time in the sea, then by 3.30pm insisted we go back and start packing or something. I felt like I was going to burn to a crisp and I don't usually burn at all.

WEATHER - We could not have asked for more - not one tiny bit of rain and it just got hotter and hotter as the days wore on! We both came back with a really nice suntan to make our friends envious.

IN GENERAL - I wouldn't hesitate to do it all again in a hurry - there were bits I wasn't so keen on as mentioned above but the good far outweighed the bad and in general we had such a fantastic holiday, the Caribbean is the way of life for me! Shame I'm stuck back behind this desk for now. Never mind, will not start saving for the next one, probably take me until next year though to pay off this one!!! Am considering checking out the prices come September and if the price is right OV may even see me in the Med!

If anyone has any questions feel free to mail me and ask.

SAM
Excellent review Sam!
Sam, do you know if Ocean Village change the ports they visit? I have just looked at their website and they are showing the following for Calypso & Coconuts for next winter, which is slightly different to the itinerary you did:-

Barbados - Tortola - Antigua - Dominica - Trinidad - Grenada - Barbados.
Yes they have changed the ports of call slightly for both Calypso & Coconuts and for Sugar & Spice - I have done some of the other islands such as Margarita, Grenada and Aruba on the Sundream West Indies Explorer so can do a write-up about these or people with queries can mail me direct by clicking on the email button.

SAM
Anyone know what the drink prices are like on the Ocean Village. I take it they don't do an AI package??

thanks
No they don't do an all inclusive drinks package - cocktails were £2.95 each (the strawberry diaquiri is gorge!), they do draft lager in some of the bars at about £1.10 per half I think it was and then bottles in other bars and the Bayside. Soft drinks were at about £1.00 each I think!
We are only just back but are now planning a trip for next year but are really undecided about what to go for.

Loved the Thomson Spirit and looking to do a 2 week cruise (rather than cruise and stay). Has anyone been on Princess Cruises? I know it is more upmarket than the Spirit but I got a quote for June 2005 with free child places. The Sea Princess leaving from Southampton into the Med.

Also undecided about whether or not to go for the Ocean Village (Butlins afloat?) or Thomson Destiny (like the Spirit - loved it but more expensive next year and kids club not as good as the other 2).

Would love to hear any comments please :)

Thanks,

Tracey
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.