UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Off to Cornwall
33 Posts
You've definitely found the middle of nowhere! The nearest pubs are at Dobwalls, Duloe and, of course, Liskeard. But they're all about 3 miles away. Bit of a long walk :(

- Tony -
No, the middle of nowhere is where I live! Not the end of the earth but I have a good view of it.....
When people come and visit I have to give them a map reference instead of an address and If I see anyone driving down my lane they are either visiting me or they're lost!!
Having said that, I'm going hi-tech now as we have a street lamp....well, the council have put a lamp on the nearest telegraph pole!!

Did you know that the first house in the world to be lit by gas is in Cornwall? Only a few miles from me but the mains haven't got here yet after 200 years!!
Where about's in Cornwall are you?
Don't know where abouts in Cornwall Drandle is, but my Mum and Dad live near Redruth - They don't have a gas supply - they have to use oil :shock: and when they moved to their house they had to get the electric and water companies to connect them to the mains - cost them a bomb! :o
The nearest town is Redruth although I live not too far from Gwennap Pit, in a valley fairly high up on Carn Marth. With a short stoll I can see the Atlantic coast from St Agnes all the way around to St Ives.

Dave
The nearest town is Redruth although I live not too far from Gwennap Pit, in a valley fairly high up on Carn Marth. With a short stoll I can see the Atlantic coast from St Agnes all the way around to St Ives.

Dave

OMG! You live verrrrry close to Mam & Dad! :D They live not far from the Seven Stars Pub ! And at one time lived opposite the Spar in Lanner :D

Isn't the internet a Wonderful thing :D

Some of my best memories in the world come from Cornwall.

Porthleven, Portreath, Perranporth and my best ever fave - Falmouth :D
My Mum comes from Camborne, so I know the area well, come to visit every summer.
My Hubby had his last Tattoo done in Cambourne :D
I realise my parents moved away because of work but it amazes me that anyone would want to leave Cornwall - it's so beautiful!
I realise my parents moved away because of work but it amazes me that anyone would want to leave Cornwall - it's so beautiful!

Oh I know what you mean!

I realise its different when you live there, as opposed to visiting, but I think it would break my heart :(

Have you ever visited the site of Charles Whinpenny? He has some fantastic Cornwall pics - no forums, no comments etc. Just Fab pics !

http://www.cornwallcam.co.uk
Thanks - it looks lovely.

Can't believe I was only there 6 weeks ago it seems ages now!
It is a small world Chelleb......I know the Seven Stars very well as it's not that far from me. The nearest pub to me is the Star Inn, at Vogue, which you may well know.
For choice though I prefer the Fox and Hounds out at Scorrier or if I'm going furtther afield it has to be the Pandora, particularly on warme evenings.
If you're in Falmouth try the Chain Locker.

Dave
If you`re down Lands End way , the First and Last Inn do really good meals, also The Little Barn restaurant.
The Pandora is quite amazing really. Records show that there was a cider house there nine hundred years ago. The present Inn was named after the ship that was sent to bring back the mutineers from the 'Bounty' when the inn was bought by the Captain after he retired.
It used to feature a scale model of the ship, for those that remember a few years back, which was worth a small fortune - I think the model was eventually given to the County museum.

If I have any Americans visiting I like to take them there.....they just can't get their heads around the history of the place!
In fact I've talked myself into nipping in there for a pint after work now!!
Id love to go to cornwall..but its such a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggg drive. :cry: Ive been to Devon a couple of times, but i hate driving any distance nowadays.
Now if only there was a decent sized airport!! :D
It's not that bad with motorways, etc, particularly if you avoid weekends.
Someone I work with lives near St Austell and they often go to the NEC at Birmingham for concerts, etc, about 3 and a half hours each way.
I can get to Brum or London in about 4 hours, which is probably pushing it a little and I don't have kids in the car..........

You can fly into Newquay from quite a few places in the UK now too and RyanAir fares are pretty good.
Even the train journey is quite enjoyable

Come on down, you might like it!!

It is a small world Chelleb......I know the Seven Stars very well as it's not that far from me. The nearest pub to me is the Star Inn, at Vogue, which you may well know.
For choice though I prefer the Fox and Hounds out at Scorrier or if I'm going furtther afield it has to be the Pandora, particularly on warme evenings.
If you're in Falmouth try the Chain Locker.

Oooh I love the Chain Locker!!!

My Dads local/regular is the Fox and Hounds! We've had some lovely meals there :D

Mixter - Its worth the Journey, I promise you :D

Drandles right - the Train Journey is quite pleasant and if you go to
http://www.airsouthwest.com/ there are some great bargains :)
Drandle, the three and a half hours i could live with, but its nearer 6 or 7 from up here. :(

Also, ive never noticed Newquay on terminal screens in any of the airports ive been in - maybe because i havent been looking?

Ill get there one day, as im keen to see the Eden Project...before its closed down and filled with assylum seekers or something! :?
How many miles are you away Mixter?

We do about 265 miles to Cornwall and it takes us about 4 - 4 1/2 hours.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.