UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Have a look at Flambards and Blue Reef Aquarium. We haven't been to Flambards since our kids were about 12 and 10 - but we're going to both of these next month with our grandchildren! Unless, of course, it's brilliant weather when we'll be on the beach and walking the cliff paths.
There's a honey farm near S Molton that's good for a rainy afternoon.

http://www.quincehoney.co.uk/
Just got back from a not so great weather week in Cornwall.

There is lots to see and do at http://www.goonhilly.bt.com/ both inside and out depending on the weather. Most of it is undercover but they have some great play areas for the kids outside for when the sun breaks out.
Finally got round to writing my review!

We spent 4 nights in Devon in September 2009, followed by 3 nights in Cornwall. Here's the review of our trip:
Devon
Accommodation - North Hayne Farm Cottages , South Molton, Devon (http://www.northhaynefarmcottages.co.uk/)
This is by far the best self catering accommodation that we've stayed at in the UK - we really can't fault the place. We stayed in the smallest cottage, Katie's Corner, which was beautifully decorated and came with everything we needed for a relaxing stay, including a private hot tub. The owners couldn't be more helpful - we were welcomed warmly with a cream tea, shown around the cottage and farm yard, and then told to knock on the farmhouse door if we needed anything. There was also the opportunity to help out with feeding the animals, which seemed very popular with the families staying in the other cottages. We preferred to spend our time lazing around in the hot tub though! We don't generally stay at the same place twice, but North Hayne might just make us break this rule in future.
Things to do
Dulverton - We went there specifically to visit the National Park Visitor Centre, only to find that it was closed for the day for staff training. It's quite a nice village though and the Heritage Centre is worth looking around.
Dunster - Later the same day, we went to the Dunster National Park Visitor Centre, to find that it was just about to close for the afternoon as well! We just had time to grab some leaflets, which included a short walking route around the village. This proved to be a nice way to see the best of the village and then we finished our day off with a visit to Dunster Castle, a mansion owned by the National Trust.
Exeter - Having been warned that parking in the city centre might be a problem, we left our car at one of the park and ride sites on the outskirts and then the bus dropped us off right outside the Tourist Office. Armed with one of their maps, we took ourselves on a self guided tour of the main sights, including the Docks, the Cathedral Square, the Guildhall and the Royal Albert Memorial Museum (currently based in the Central Library).
Quince Honey Farm, South Molton - We found the bee and honey making exhibition here to be fascinating. The coffee shop is also well worth a visit - the honey ice cream is delicious!
Lynton and Lynmouth - We parked at Lynton and then took the Cliff Railway down to Lynmouth. There is an interesting exhibition about the floods in the Memorial Hall and a lovely walk along the gorge to the National Trust Tea Rooms at Watersmeet. We also visited nearby Porlock - there's a small museum about the village but other than that there's nothing worth seeing.
Canonteign Falls - There are a few nice walks here, including a lovely walk up to the top of the waterfall and back - this could be slippery in wet weather though!
Dartmoor Miniature Pony Centre - This is a must for all ages - the ponies are so cute!
Cornwall
Accommodation - Deerpark Forest Cabins, Liskeard, Cornwall (http://www.forestholidays.co.uk/cabins/our_locations/deerpark.aspx)
After having read some very good reviews of Deerpark, we were really looking forward to our stay there. Unfortunately, the whole experience was quite disappointing and we won't be going back. The overall impression we got was that they are only after your money and didn't actually care about you having a good holiday. The parking area near our lodge was totally inadequate and we had to trek quite a way along the road with our stuff, only to have to lug it all down 2 flights of stairs. The lodge itself was dirty and poorly maintained and the design means that downstairs is difficult to heat, whereas the upstairs bedroom is so dark that we had to have the lights on all the time. The wood burning stove was supposed to be set up for our arrival, but the useless combination of a handful of tinder and 2 big logs meant it wouldn't stay lit. The only way to get a decent fire going would have been to buy one of their expensive log packs. Having already ordered a towel pack which came with tiny towels - we decided it wasn't worth the money. Aside from towels not being included, the kitchen cutlery etc was barely enough for the two of us, let along the 4 that the lodge was supposed to hold. We also couldn't work out how on earth you could get 4 people into the hot tub. In addition, the main focus of the staff seemed to be on getting people to join their timeshare scheme. The forest location was lovely and made a good base for our sightseeing but other than that it has little to offer. Never again!
Things to do
Eden Project - This is an absolutely fantastic day out for all the family - highly recommended. Make sure you arrive early though!
Lydford Gorge - A chance to visit something owned by the National Trust that isn't a house or garden. We wouldn't recommend the entire walk during or after heavy rain though, due to some very slippery areas.
Morwellham Quay - apart from the mine tour, this was a bit of a disappointment. The Trust that owns it is currently in administration so it would be best to check it's still open before attempting a visit.
Thanks for those brilliant reviews corinne . I am always on the look out for good cottage accomodation so will add your first one to my favouites .

We have enjoyed many of those attractions ourselves over the years including the miniture pony centre, lydford gorge , Lynton, Canonteign Falls and Morwellham Quay . Some of our more memorable times now our boys are much older has been climbing and exploring the tors on Dartmoor and spending time doing much the same on Bodmin moor . becky falls on Dartmoor was another favouite of ours . Been there many times .

Devon and cornwall is still my favourite area .
Hi Lyn

Glad you liked my review. We will definitely be back in that area at some point - so much to see and do!
Loads to do Corinne . And thats even before you've sat down on one of the lovely beaches .

forgot one of our all time favouites . Bike riding down the camel trail from wadebridge into Padstow alongside the estuary. Fish and chips from Ricks Steins place sitting on the harbour wall before heading back again .

Bikes can be hired in Wadebridge or Padstow . fabulous day and even better if the weather is good .
That view just as you round the corner and see the Padstow estuary in all it's magnificence is one of the greatest sights in Britain.

It simply cannot be beaten and should be on everyones 'must see in my lifetime' list.
Definately harriers . Despite my sore backside We've done that ride a few times now and it never fails to impress . :)

lyn
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.