Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Hi Jeroin,

Olive oil from any country varies in taste according to the region; quality of the olives; pressing etc.

Are you thinking of exporting it?

Strawberry
Having tasted most olive oils ...for me it is GREEK. ..... Virgin Or,, , 2nd press . . ........ It would be Greek.. THE BEST>>>> :tup
no at this moment not thinking of exporting it
But I give it away overhere (as we get so much from the local farmers) and everybody is enthousiastic.

I bought an book of an olive oil expert and het mentioned turkey only in one rule and he wasn't very positive

Rgds jeroen
Hi Jeroen,

You can't always take notice of what some of these so-called 'experts' write. Olive oil in Turkey varies in quality and taste depending on many things: the region, the olive type and quality, and the pressing method. Although the first pressing extra virgin oil is considereed the best, many people prefer the second pressing as it is slightly more acidic. So it's all down to personal taste really.

Greek olive oil - in particular the Cretan oil - is thought to be the best in the world. As a matter of interest most Italian olive oil is made up of 75% Greek oil!

Personally I like the deep green extra virgin oil which often has a peppery taste - and I've had some delicious olive oil in Turkey just like that.

What will you do once you've restored the olive oil factory: will you sell it domestically?

Strawberry
We did have olive oil with many meals last week when we where in marmaris + Icmeler, dont know if it was of the Turkey Origin but It was not the worst we have tasted.
My most favourite would have to be....... SITIA EXTRA VIRGIN, from .... NORTH EAST CRETE..... MMmmmm. Brought 3Ltr home last year and it was MMMMMmmmmmmmm. But I am no expert.
Hi Gingster,

The olive oil you had in Turkey would have definitely been Turkish. Turkey do not import olive oil (they've no need to) and the import costs would be prohibitive even if they wanted to.

The olive oil served in Turkish restaurants and hotels (except for the very expensive establishments) would be of the low quality variety due to costs. So it is unlikely that the average holidaymaker would get to sample some of the supreme olive oil which Turkey produces.

The best oilive oil in Turkey is produced on the west coast, and you'd possibly find it in local farmer markets - or direct from the farm itself. They do export to Europe - but nothing compared to the amount that Greece and Spain do. That isn't because the oil is inferior (it most certainly isn't) - it's due to primitive and costly production and lack of modern marketing techniques. They cannot compete with international market prices due to their technological incapacity. But the oil itself can easily match that of Greece.

Strawberry
Hi

No we will not sell it
We will use it for our own and it will be available for rental

In februari I go back to finish the inside.
In summer we will do swimming pool etc

I hope it will be ready in august

Rgds Jeroen
Hi Straberry,

Everything you have just said I totaly agree with,
It is still like that in most parts of Greece and the rest of the Eastern Med and further. ( the old way to do things )
I can understand that the average holidaymaker may pass this by :duh Just gladd its not me . :cheers .
Next time I want a lesson on MY OPINION I will contact the Open University and get a" proper expert " and not one of these "so called experts" to give me the lesson on the Turkish olive production.

It was just MY OPINION.... :que

Gink :sun2
Hi Gingster,

I agree with you: we all have our own personal tastes and opinions. In just the same way some people like Marmaris - whilst others can't stand the place. Each to their own.

I know quite a bit about Turkish olive oil as my partner and I have started importing extra virgin olive oil from a farm he part owns. We only import the oil as the olives are not suitable for eating (table olives are a different variety).

We have also started importing mandarins, oranges, lemons, pomegranites, chestnuts, figs, peaches, cherries, aubergines and various other vegetables and herbs. As we supply to the UK market we obviously need to have knowledge about our produce otherwise major buyers would not entertain us.

If you'd like any information on other fruit don't be shy to ask me.

Strawberry
Strawberry,

Where is this farm located?
Do you have a link?

Just intrested

Jeroen
Hi Jeroen,

The olive farm is located between Soke and Didim. The fruit farm is 2 kilometres outside of Soke.

If you send me a PM I can give you further details and information about our company.

Strawberry
If I can go back to my original post
ginkster wrote:
Having tasted most olive oils ...for me it is GREEK. ..... Virgin Or,, , 2nd press . . ........ It would be Greek.. THE BEST>>>> :tup

I only gave my opion...I did not expect to be challenged because of it.
But you live and learn.
Strawberry7 wrote:
In just the same way some people like Marmaris - whilst others can't stand the place

This was our 1st time to Marmaris :que And by the way OUR LAST :tup .

I still like Greek Sitia.

Gink :sun2
Hi Ginkster,

I haven't challenged your opinion - and nobody else has.

Jeroen asked if anyone knew how the experts rated Turkish olive oil. And you're not an expert - you just gave your own personal opinion having holidayed once in Marmaris.

The 'expert' I was referring to was the author of the book Jeroen mentioned. And his opinion differs to that of the buyer from a leading major supermarket in the UK, who wants us to supply them with our Turkish olive oil.

On the subject of Marmaris - I'm really surprised you didn't like it!! But you do seem impressed with Turkey going by your previous posts where you talk about Kebaps and Turkiye. Have you ever been to Londres? Or do you always stay up in bonny Scotland? :clap

Strawberry
We did marmaris this year and mainly stuck to kebabs and lots of EFES :cheers but had some salads with our meals a few nights and mezes which seemed to have tonns of olive oil all over it :tongue but it did taste good :tup i've had olive oil in spain and tenerife but it seemed more greasy to me than the turkish stuff, i prefered the turkish for my palete.

gb
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.