Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
OLu Deniz newbie
13 Posts
Hi and welcome to HT!

If you put Olu +Deniz into the Search facility and choose Topic Titles Only you will find previous topics. You can also read our Resort Reports via the link at the top of the page.

luci :wave
Just returned from our 6th visit to Olu Deniz and yes we did find it expensive this time. Mostly I think because of the weak pound. We are only getting TYL02.04 to our Pound where as a couple of years ago this was 2.70. I think it is better to take stirling cash and change it over there. You could get 2.10.

Tips to pass on.

Take a small cool bag with you. You can buy water and drinks in the AZDA supermarket at a fraction of the cost of what is sold elsewhere. They are chilled so you can take them on to the beach. Also need this if you want to take food drink to the airport on your return.

You can get about quite a bit by Dolmus (bus). From Olu you can get to Hisaronu, Kaya Village Gemiler Beach and Fethiye. From Fethiye you can go to Kalkan, Gocek. The Dolmas are nice new vehicles and air conditioned, so even my husband will go on them.

We had an enjoyable evening at Sugar Beach Club. which was also good value. Their beach bar b que which in Fridays cost £10, this gave you salads,peppers,chicken,meatball, kebab, followed by fruit with one free drink. The entertainment was very good. (Fire dancer) drinks were reasonable too.

The boat trips are very good value. We went to Gocek Market by boat trip. Cost £6. No food included. But you had 2 1/5 hours at Gocek then a swimming stop on the way back. Other trips include lunch and visit various bays.

Hope you enjoy it
Wendy
Oul Deniz is a very nice place to holiday so you have chosen well. :)

I wouldn't worry too much about costs as these seem to be affecting families more than couples. It will be either a similar price to here for a nice evening meal in OD's high street, or possibly slightly less than here. Also if you are of an older generation you are probably not going to drink huge amounts so that will keep costs down. I beleive premium alcohol is quite expensive as it's imported and their own spirits are rough and need to be killed with a lot of soft drink etc. Wines not brill either but Efes the local beer is great according to DH.

If you like a nice drink on your balcony before going out at night, best buy one of the offers at your airport or on the plane of two litre bottles for 15 pounds etc.

Most of the restaurants have blackboards and menus outside which you can browse, often the staff will come out and try and talk you into trying their restaurant, but take your time and dont be hassled into going in. You will have plenty of choice.

You can also eat in the hotels own restaurants, I think the main Karbel Hotel has one.

Not to sure about car hire. Turkey is one of the Countrys it is not recommended in, they have the highest accident rate in Europe. However, if you want to go for it I am sure either your hotel Reception or your tour rep, if you have one, will point you in the right direction. Make sure you have good insurance just in case. Petrol in Turkey is even more expensive than UK (I know you wouldn't beleive anybody had petrol as dear as here :duh )

There are plenty of companys offering days out. Hamish McTurk, Bloody Gorgeous etc you wont be able to miss them, they all give you their flyers and leaflets which you can take away and peruse.

Loads to do in the area, Salkient Gorge, turtle beach, dalyan, tlos, mudbaths, boat trips, microlight flights off the mountain, trips into Fethyie, Kaya Koy Ghost Village, turkish baths, the list is endless.

Hope you have a great time.

Doe :sun2
Many thanks folks, useful info, we would however like to hire a car, we like our own independance, any tips on this would be great, any places or things to avoid please.
Hi

We just returned from Olu Deniz yesterday. We are a couple in our mid fifties. Agree with other posters, it is not cheap, however, the cost of eating out is about the same as a good restaurant at home. If you like good fresh food, you will not be disappointed. The first restaurants we used were the most expensive, and then we found some cheaper ones off the main street, you tend to get what you pay for. Some of our favourites included Captain Hook and the Secret garden. Early in the evening, we went to the Buzz bar on the seafront for a drink while watching the sunset, very nice. Cocktails here were 10 ytl in the happy hour. We also ate here one evening, if you want one of the best tables, you will need to book.
Plenty of dining choices, most food is very fresh and nicley cooked.

We like a little nightcap, so we bought a couple of bottles of our favourites at the airport. Soft drinks and other basics can be bought cheap at the supermarket in the main street. We bought all our water there and kept it in the fridge ready to take out to the beach Etc.

If you like boat trips, these can be bought very cheaply, plenty of booking offices in the main streets. We have tired of boat trips as we have holidayed in Turkey many times so looked for something different.
We went on a horse ride through the pine forest, this was lovely and peaceful and we got a great view of the lagoon from the mountain top. Cost was 15 pounds each, we were out for three and a half hours. Horses were well cared for.

Agree with other posters, the dolmus is a great way of getting around. Plenty of regular buses, easy to use, locals friendly and helpful. You can travel to most places nearby cheaply.

It is a matter of personal choice, but we wouldn't risk hiring a car here, petrol is even more expensive than at home, the roads can be dangerous if you are not familiar with them. You can easily use the public transport.

The scenery is stunning, weather gorgeous and the food can mostly be wonderful -- what more can you ask !! have a great holiday.
Maybe I will forgo the car hire if it as dangerous as some make out, we will have to see when we get there, any places or things or people to avoid, I have read on some websites about rude hotel staff, pushy sales people selling trips etc, we like to do our own thing, we realise that the hotel rooms may be smallish, but we only sleep in them, we are not sun worshippers,we won't be spending hours lazing by the pool, thanks for the info about bottled water & fridges, any more tips on places to eat or places to visit, cheers folks. :)
You could always try the car hire for a day and if you are comfortable with it and the road conditions extend it. I had a wander around the main Karbel Hotel this year and I think the Karbel Sun is pretty close. The Karbel has a main reception and I am sure you will be able to get car hire there, if your hotel is too small to offer it.
We have been to Olu for the past two years and it is an absolutely beautiful place. In fact, it is the only place we have returned to and I cannot wait to be able to return again.

The first year we went, I was going to hire a car in the end we made friends with someone locally who actually drove the car and the roads were pretty bad if you go off the main roads into the towns. We went through some off main roads, and they were REALLY poor, there was a serious accident when we arrived in Olu this year on the main road down, and it was caused by the overtaking etc so although the main roads are ok, some of the others aren't. I am however, pretty sure that if we return again, that I will probably hire a car to get around and about, but I certainly wouldnt want to venture off the main roads. It depends on what sort of driving you are used to. Some companies will provide a car and a driver for the day, you give them the itinerary of where you want to go and they provide the rest. This may be one way of getting to the places you want to go, but dont want to be tied into a tour but can still explore.

I dont think Ive actually met anyone who was rude at all in Olu, in fact the rudest people we have encountered in Turkey was at the airport, but as soon as you leave there they really are wonderful people. They aren't overly pushy in Olu, yes you will get them stood at their restaurant or places where they sell the trips and talk to you as you go by, but it isn't pushy and a polite no thanks will stop it. I have only encountered one extremely pushy person and that was down at the shopping place near Belcekiz Beach but that was the only negative time. Some of the rooms are small, but there are definitely loads of places to visit from here. We went on a trip to Dalyan this time, going past the Lycian Tombs and to Turtle beach which was a nice day out, we have also done Kaya Koy (ghost town) have also done the visits to the markets altho done them this year by Dolmus rather than organised trips. We went on a boat trip this year from Olu with Bloody Gorgeous, however this trip was rather poor, and wouldn't use them again, last year we went out of Fethiye and it was much much nicer.

olu is a lovely place, wonderful places to eat. Captain Hooks as one of the others has mentioned is wonderful, we ate there for dinner 7 times in our past 2 week stay, Sultan Ahmets near the front down the main street there traditional turkish food is superb, altho again the prices are quite high, we didnt rate Buzz bar for their food unfortunately, but there are plenty of places to eat. As for whether it is expensive or not, prices have slightly increased, but the meals are slightly cheaper than eating here. I went with my son so for a childs meal and pudding, starter and main course for me, couple of beers and few soft drinks (these are expensive and affect the bills dramatically!) it would average between £20-25 for dinner. About £12-15 for lunch.

But, you are in a wonderful place, with wonderful people and just one of the nicest places Ive ever been to . . .for me . . .that is worth every single penny!

Can I come with you ;) lol

We have stayed both times at the karbel which is opposite the Karbel Sun, there are some places that offer car hire just outseide the hotel on the main street

Enjoy

Karen x
Many thanks Karen, I guess we will just play it by ear as we usually do, but any advance information on a new country is well worth having, looking forward to our first trip on the 26th, hope it's not too warm then, Peter.
If you have concerns about pushy salespeople, the best way to deal with this is not to take it too seriously. Most of the restauants have menu boards and prices on display outside, and yes , they will try and usher you in . If you don't want to go in, say no in a humerus way and usually they will just laugh. Some people get stressed with what can be seen as 'harassment' but you can deal with it if you see it as a bit of fun.

I forgot to mention that there are a couple of restaurants on the perimeter road, one called La Mare I think which is between the ATA hotel and a tour agent. We ate here a couple of nights, very reasonable. It serves both Italian and all kinds of continental food, staff are very courteous and friendly. Food was beautifully presented. Buzz bar, not the best food, but the setting is beautiful at sunset.

But the best was Captain Hooks, we had the tastiest food here.

If you like to see something of local life, Fetihye is worth a visit on Tues market day. Again you will be hassled by the stall holders, but we didn't allow this to spoil our day. Just to experience the wonderful displays of beautiful local produce was worth the trip. The local farmers are very friendly and we always buy fruit from them as they must work very hard for a living.

When you are tired of the market, a walk down to the harbour is lovely. we always look for the eating places that the locals use for our lunch, they really appreciate you visiting them.

From the main bus station in Fetihye you can get the bus to many other places. Again locals will be very helpful. We love to explore using the local buses. The buses are newer that they used to be but the prices have gone up over the years.

Enjoy !!
Many thanks Janer, will have to see for ourselves wont we!.
Have never met any rude hotel staff on visits to Turkey. My experience of Turkish staff is that they are very courteous and also fun.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.