Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
There is a Bank of Baroda in Manchester Lez, unfortunately not in Liverpool having just checked, could be worth a day out in sunny Manchester on shopping trip sometime. here`s a link http://www.bankofbaroda.com/
thanks for that link.

i will look forward to having a day in Manchester :lol:

lez
Just phoned the bank in Manchester

As I am not Indian I have to open an account in Goa.

Ah well back to square 1 :swear
If you go by train Lez it`s about £3.50 maximum in a taxi from piccadilly or Victoria stations to the Bank, If you see Old Trafford they are extracting the urine :wink:
oops just read that, how strange :?
Hi Lezlie

Ive opened a bank account at the ICICI bank in Leicester and they helped me to open one in Mapusa which is linked to the one in UK. (Im not Indian). All I have to do is put pound notes in account in leicester then when I want get it transferred to Rps. It was in my account in Goa in less than 4 hours! and I got a great exchange rate 84.61.
Any more info needed I would be glad to help

Cheers Jo
Hi Lezlie we opened a bank account while we were in goa it was simple it is the UTI bank which has internet banking and mobile phone banking facilities , we opened a joint account and both got a card to use at the cash machines ,
this bank has branches all over india and you can use some atm 's at other branches.
to join we needed our passports , two passport size photos each , proof of address in goa i.e a rental agreement , we didnt have this so they asked us to bring in a utility bill off the person we rent our apartment off , he let us use his phone bill . and you need to deposit approx £30 pound and you need to keep that bal in your account at this bank if you go lower you incur charges ? we opened ours in the Margoa branch
there web site is

http://www.utibank.com or http://www.utibank.co.in anita :D
Thanks for your help everyone. :glynis

I have looked at the web sites and I think it will be easer for me to do the same as Anita.

Once again the forum has come up trumps. :kiss

Lez :wave
Hi,

As a matter of interest, has anyone tried using your Indian ATM card away from India? I've read through the bumpf that came with it, and can't see any reason why not, but am worried in case, like so much else where Indian bureacracy is concerned, there's something I've not been told!

Any advice from others who've tried this much appreciated. It is an ordinary FN account with ICICI.

Thanks
Apparently you are not permitted to use your Indian Bank Card outside of India (Info given to me from Centurion Bank when I opened my account in 2002). I remember a friend once used his card in Thailand a couple of times but on trying to use it a 3rd time he wasn't permitted - the bank had blocked it!!
GFF xx
I think you will find that under Indian financial laws, you are required to hold a valid visa whilst operating a bank account.

Strictly following the letter of the law you should close your bank account before one visa ends and open a new one when you return.

Different banks have different attitudes to this situation, some ignore it, some are aware and rigorously enforce it, some deny the law exists, etc. Bear in mind, its in their interest (sic) to get hold of your money, like any bank. In theory, having a UK ICICI bank account doesn't alter any of the above.

The law involved is FEMA (Foreign Exchange Management Act) which is available on line if you search. The wording is in plain English and straight-forward.

With the Indian Authorities closing in on everything foreigners do here, especially the British, please be careful, we have heard of some "panicky" situations.

If you simply want to access your money while on holiday, a Nationwide Flex account allows you to draw from ICICI atms (and it would appear, some others) free of charge and at good exchange rates.

If you are trying to gain from the higher interest rates available here, then please accept that there are risks involved, not just with the "credit crunch", as Indian banks do not offer the guarantees given in the UK, but also the "illegality" of having a bank account without a valid visa.

J5
be careful as well because if you leave your account unused for a long period they will freeze it and you will have to go through some hassle to both re-open it and get access to your money allso you may incur bank charges so your balance will decrease :really
Thanks for the info folks. FYI, tried using the card abroad, but no go.

Jimbo
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.