Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Hello and welcome to the Goa forum :)

I haven't been to Goa since Jan 2009 so I doubt my advice on places to eat will be of any use to you now, but All spice is a recommended restaurant. I'm not sure of its exact location but i'm sure other members of this forum will be able to tell you.

I think you will have a wonderful time in Goa. Lots of people are Goa regulars because it's like the pringles saying, 'once you pop you can't stop'. :rofl

Depending on where you are in Arpora I would say it is a 5-10minute taxi ride. Taxis are cheap but make sure you agree a price before you get in.
Also, it is worth asking other tourists how much they pay for taxis, so they won't try and rip you off.

Your husband can just ask at the beach about fishing, this is what we did a couple of years ago.

Theres a mini waterpark as you head from Arpora towards Baga beach. I cannot remember the name, but you will easily recognise it. It has a few slides, sunloungers and snack bar, but we only went because our son wanted to go.

There are lots of trips available, just browse this forum and you will find them.
Welcome Emmacat - I'm sure you'll love Goa. Just give it a few days to hook you!

We don't stay in Arpora but visit there often. A favourite and popular restaurant is All Spice. At the other end of the scale is "Sai's" - a local, basic eaterie where the food is excellent and as cheap as chips. There are plenty more that the Arpora regulars will no doubt suggest.

A huge new hotel opened last year called Resort Rio. It has a lovely pool that you can use if you buy lunch. There are two restaurants that are nice, one an Italian, the other an Indian Thali restaurant. Both are good, if a bit pricey (by Goan standards). Have a look -http://resortrio.com/

Keep an eye on this site once the season starts in November for HTer's reports and suggestions on where's good and where's not. It does change!
My sister always stays in Arpora and recommends Poco Loco on the Baga Creek and also Rasa restaurant near to Mackies Saturday Market :)
I love Arpora it is where we stayed on our very first Goan trip.
thank you everyone fory your kind welcome, and thoughtful replies. i am very much looking forward to our goan adventure (it feels like an 'adventure' rather than just a holiday for some reason!) i'm just slightly worried about some comments I have read on a rival travel forum website (mentioning no names!) about the amount of discarded rubbish and the resulting 'stench' in the resorts, i dont expect goa to be the cleanest, most sterile place we have visited- i know thart's part and parcel of travelling to anywhere is india, I just don't want to imagine that I am visiting a place that will feel positively dirty once out of our hotel.

We chose Goa because we wanted to 'travel' a bit more rather than spending 2 weeks in another same old all-inclusive carribean hotel, so i'm under so illusions as to what to expect, but is the rubbish issue really that noticable? :que
hmmmm, i can't lie, it doesnt really make me look forward to the surroundings once out of the hotel, perhaps i need to do a bit of digging and get some clarification to ease the worry a little- its funny becasue prior to booking, and despite researching and paying attention to this issue, i didn feel too bothered, but those photos are not great viewing... :think
Litter is a big problem but, at the risk of sounding a bit daft, it's part of what India is. It's scruffy, hectic, mad, chaotic and totally different from our life here in the UK. They do need to do something about it but it won't be a quick fix (what is, in India?)

Litter annoys me but nowhere near enough to spoil a holiday - it's like an annoying mossie that you just swat away. It's part of the experience.

I wouldn't worry too much. Just expect to be a little bit shocked when you arrive and you'll slowly adjust and I'll bet all the great things about Goa (climate, food, prices, people, shacks, vibe) will win you over. You sound like you're looking for something a bit different from the usual package deal, and in Goa, you've found it. Enjoy it! :tup
The Marinha Dourada in Arpora hotel has two large fishing lakes that non residents can pay to use. Just don't eat the fish !
All Spice,Spice Oven,Rasa's and Starlight are all excellent, the latter having some of the best food but is aimed at locals and is a bit rough and ready !
cheers Dave
Emmacat, to me there are people who travel to India to enjoy all the cheap prices, sun, shacks etc, etc but, all they seem to concentrate on is the rubbish! The way some people speak of the problem you would think you couldn't walk 10 yards without piles and piles of rubbish everywhere!!! It's a third world country but, some people want all the benefits of some super clean European destination(some of them are nearly as bad!!). A lot of these people complaining about the state of the place return year after year, why?? Go with an open mind, don't listen too much to all you hear, I'm sure you will find it a wonderful experience ;)
Although we stay in Baga we always head to the beaches of Morjim & Ashvem as we enjoy the quieter beaches, La Plage at Ashvem, in the link posted, is lovely and beautifully kept by the French owners and the food is fantastic but you don't see rubbish by other shacks either. Spent a few days in Agonda this year and that was very clean too. So, I guess it depends where you go.

The main reasons we love Goa are the fantastic food, great beaches, wall to wall sunshine, lovely people, vibrant colours, sounds and smells....don't worry it's an amazing place, you'll love it.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.