General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
A coat with big pockets, wear more than one layer of clothes (can always be taken off on the flight)
Glynis shouldn't the topic read packing tips for hand luggage, as you aren't taking hold luggage.?
:rofl someone's PM'd me so I've just changed it. Thanks though Judith :tup

:duh don't know what's up with me lately :rofl
I can never understand why people take toothpaste, shampoo etc on holiday unless they have a medical condition that dictates a certain product, as even the most remote places sell such things, but each to their own I guess. When we travel, Frank wears a shabby old coat which is never worn once we get airside, but is relegated to a duty free bag ------------- but, shabby it may be, but does have 6 pockets which are stuffed with all and everything. One we have got the boarding passes, he is off to the toilets where he empties all the packaging into the hand luggage -- last count, that weighed 13 kilos -- daren't risk that weight at checkin!
There are actually now "Luggage Jackets" which are specifically designed to beat the airline baggage charges. I've never tried them though - I cannot imagine staggering along with 25 kilograms of stuff jammed into my pockets in a horrible bulky coat in summer holiday temperatures! It would ruin the trip for me.
Here's a link to a review of these elegant (NOT!) outfits...

http://www.carryology.com/insights/travel/how-to-beat-airline-baggage-fees-wearable-luggage/

edited because other link didn't work!
Frank only has to stagger to checkin and then it's off to the toilets and pockets emptied into the hand luggage which up to that point weighed 5 kilos!
I can never understand why people take toothpaste, shampoo etc on holiday unless they have a medical condition that dictates a certain product, as even the most remote places sell such things, but each to their own I guess

We have started packing a set of the small travel ones, we were caught out at an airport in Turkey by a long flight delay, once it became apparent that we weren't getting flown home (2 am by this time) Thomas Cook took as to a close by hotel and put us up for the rest of the night, when we got up in the morning we had small shower gel, shampoo, tooth brushes / paste and deodorant non of which we could have got at the hotel and there were no shops near by.

We were all clean and feeling refreshed when they took us back to the airport for the flight.
Like Kiltman, I always carry small travel sized packs of the basic toilet essentials. They have proved invaluable and it does mean, especially if arriving late on the first evening, that you have enough for that night and the following morning before going shopping. I rarely use hotels these days so can't rely on the complimentary toiletries that they usually provide.

And we I'm going to Cuba, I always take everything I'll need with me because on the whole you just don't find the same brands in the shops and what is available is often dire and often more expensive than at home. For example, decent toilet soap can often be in both short supply and expensive even when you can find it and so I even take extra out as gifts. Dove is much coveted by Cuban women. :tup

SM
jennyfrank wrote:
I can never understand why people take toothpaste, shampoo etc on holiday unless they have a medical condition that dictates a certain product, as even the most remote places sell such things, but each to their own I guess.-

Not totally true, just a few years ago I spent 3 days in the remote highlands of Laos and didn't see one shop.
The first one I did see didn't sell toothpaste.

I'm also a fan of the small sizes and will take a selection with me, often enough to last the holiday. I don't want to be wasting my time shopping when first arriving at my destination.
As i have repeated - each to their own, but I read so often of people panicking that they don't have enough room and are overweight etc yet take toiletries to last a couple of weeks ----------------------
The good news is, that my new CabinMax bag has arrived and I love it :tup

I've done a dummy packing run and, including IPad, Kindle, beach towel, 21, 3in1 coffee sachets, hair straighteners, tongs, 3 shorts, 10 tops, sundress, tankini, 2 sandals, nightie:-

6.75k :pele room for more stuff :tup might put a pair of cotton trousers in & zip up hoodie.

The bag is brill, opens like a suitcase with a separate front compartment for bits n bobs, and another zipped area on the outside for documents.
hair straighteners AND tongs? You are worse than me :D
Sounds brilliant, Glynis, but don't waste space and weight on the zip-up hoodie - wear it to travel in and if it gets too warm to wear it just tie it round your waist! I'd prefer to pack a skirt to ring the changes between the shorts and trousers.

SM
I've got another sundress SMa that can double as a long skirt if worn around waist I may take that one only problem is I've only one top that will go with it so it could be a waste :think I'm trying to take things I can wear on the evening then 'dirty them out' on another day. I feel it's a bit of a waste if I take something I'll only wear once.

We won't be going out of an evening for meals, just to the pub, as my friends like to cook on holiday (I don't, I hasten to add :rofl ). So clothing can be casual.

Fiona:- my hair is a pain. :cry

Jenny:- I'm over the moon with it. We are going to La Carihuela in July, flying with Ryanair, the new case will feel like having 2 cases :tup
Time to either buy either another sundress or a couple of new different tops, Glynis ? ;)

SM
:think You see I'm not really a dress wearer, in fact the only dresses I possess are the couple I've recently bought for holidays. The ones I have got are

A) A lovely pink/lemon/ white tie dye crinkle cotton. Bought from TKMaxx at £8 because I loved the colours and style.

B) £4 long, floaty indian cotton in lovely blues and pink. (This was from the Mind shop)

C) The sun dress in question that I bought in La Carihuela last year for €8. It's fades upwards from deep red, through to orange, ending in a sort of pale lemon.

I'm a jeans and tee shirt person :tup
Glynis, I have one of those bags. You have to be careful as everything falls to the bottom of it once you start carrying it around at the airport, then it doesn't go in Ryanairs luggage sizer easily.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.