Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Re: panjim
65 Posts
Do you mean looks off the staff or other diners?
The Marriott does an excellent buffet at lunchtimes for around 800rps. Lovely hotel

You should also try their coffee shop - they have some excellent quiches, cheesecakes and beautiful fruit tarts. :cheers
I can't belive the famouse Delhi Darbar has not been mentioned yet. Great food!

Not as good as it once was - not as good as some of the others mentioned here. :(
I have had the pleasure of staying at the Marriot for 1 night.

That was because we got delayed coming home with JMC a few years ago, so having spent all day in a sicky airport we got transfered to the Marriot.

I must admit, the food for our evening meal wasnt that good :( , the beds were very comfy though.

If you are staying in somewhere like Calangute, Baga, and you wants a little bit of luxury for 1 night i suggest staying here.
Max what would you recomend instead of durbar,i like the upmarket look of durbar,but if there is some better and upmarket i would like to know.thanks
Thats just what I was going to ask. We would like to try somewhere different in Panjim. :)
Try The Moti Mahal, well known and not far from the Delhi Darbar.
We meant to visit Panjim last time but in the end just did not have the time. Is Panjim worth a day or should I think of combining that with somewhere else?
Id only go to Panjim for the day, its actually not that far from Baga/Calangute.
I was just wondering if there was enough for a day or if its perhaps easy enough to see in a couple of hours? We have passed through it but haven't stopped.
A taxi driver took us to Panjim on the way back from the Spice Plantation. It didn't take very long to drive around. But as it was Holi, most of Panjim was closed! :cry

So next year my day will go like this.....

AM - On the beach with lunch at the shack

Mid PM Leave to go to Panjim which is no more than 30 minutes in a good taxi from Baga

Late PM Shopping, shopping and probably more shopping

Early Evening...join one of the sunset criuses up the Mondovi River.

Arrive back a the hotel late-ish evening.
Pamjim is worth a dayof your holiday, but if you are shopping you must remember that everything shuts at 1 oclock and dosent re open iuntil about 4 or 5 oclock, depending on which shop it is. It is a big city, but I only go for the shopping it is cheaper there than in Candolim, lots of walks that you can do along the Mandovi river, but not much else.
I'm only there a week though. :) So I quite like Ian's idea. Sunbathing and a trip sounds good!
I already posted this on the first page but going by taxi is not the way to travel.You miss the fun. Take the bus and then travel across the river on the free ferry as a foot passenger.
The market is worth a visit, maybe a little shopping, lunch then head back to the beaches. We were going to hang around for the evening cruises but decided not to bother.
Alternatively go in the evening and miss on the market.
Bus there, taxi back !!!
hmm- I'm wondering if the buses are anything like the reggae buses in Barbados- a bit of an experience. :D
Buses are sound and a great way to travel, very cheap but very bumpy, you either get a quiet one (if lucky) or one that is packed solid, great fun trying to get off when sat in the middle seats ! Would defo recommend them to all who 'aint tried them, more so on the coastal belt, to 'miff' the taxi drivers.
Panaji though is well worth a trip, as for shopping ? depends what you are after. I would go early morning (get from where you are to Panaji for 9.00am) you will benefit from having the hot sun on you. As well as the market which is interesting to see unusal products and the meat market etc.. there are the usual 'tourist' Reebok shops etc.. (ok to nip in for a cool down - but never much on offer). A few department stores dotted around (one we always go in is a bit like Grace Brothers..) these are also non haggling places, but no problems asking for a discount.. Various shops selling everything you need down all the streets.
Art galleries and a museum can be found - not on a hugh scale but interesting non the less. As for daytime cafes and restaurants - no problems. Plenty of parks some with modern sculptures and canons from years gone by can be seen when walking along side the Mandovi (turn right after getting off the ferry). Worth a look for half a day to get your bearings, and then come back early evening for the river cruise, good restaurants and see the city lit up - camera needed for morning and evening.
Amazes me how people go, see the Reebok shops and think, thats it !
As I have mentioned in another post, there is also the Royal Enfield bike showroom (one for the lads) and the mechanics will show you inside the repair shop - great lads.
A great place not to be missed.
Spike.
I have to admit that I am not a shopping fanatic. I only found out how good it can be when we had no luggage and I was forced to buy. I would like something beyond shopping but have to admit we are both suckers for wondering through local markets- even if there is no way we would buy anything from them. I'd rather go to local markets than tourist ones.
Panjim is a local market Fiona, the prices are a fraction of the price that is charged in Calangute, candolim and Mapusa. Panjim is not a real tourist spot. The tourists tend to stick to the beach areas.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.