Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Re: panjim
65 Posts
Wonderful fish market!!
The fish market stinks, so does the meat market, I hold my breath whilst walkingpast those, the smell is undescribable, and I hate eating fish, unless it is cod in batter, from the local fish and chipshop.
Oh Tomitma, do you mean to say you don't go there to barter for a nice fillet steak or a kingfish steak to put on the bbq??
nope I only eat proper food.
Each time we have visited Panjim our taxi driver always deposits us outside Bombay Bazaar, which once seen is more than enough. The last time he followed us in and we had to wait until he looked the other way until we ducked out of the door. We were then left wandering up and down the street wondering where to go and what to do next.

What else is there to do/see in Panjim other than this one street? Is it worth our while trying to go again this year and if so where would you recommend we head for?
Hi Miccie, if you head to the river front all the markets are close by and they are great to wander through. It is also a nice walk along the river front itself. :tup
Something we have yet to do but which other people have said is great fun is to catch the ferry over the river to Panjim.
Another must do for you is the sunset cruise up the Mandovi from Panjim.
The markets sound interesting, are they more like the local market at Mapsa, rather than the tourist markets of Anjuna and Ingos/Mackies?
Yes Miccie, lots of little windey alleyways and lots of BARGAINS!! ;) ;)
Sounds good, think I shall have to organise a trip. Are they on all day every day or just certain days of the week, thinking we could tie up a trip to the market with a sunset cruise.
Everyday Miccie, alot of it is indoors and of course there is the fish market close by!!!
Lot's of tips on Panjim here x lassi
Thanks Lassi, I'll have a read through :)
The ferry is a great experience we did it twice last year. and went to delhi darbar for lunch.The ferry is free and we took our scooters across with us

:sun2 karen / neil :sun2

76 days to go :sun2 :whoops :offtop
We loved the ferry... we couldn't believe what we were seeing!! :rofl

Just a tip avoid the "luxury" toilets along the river front.... they are NOT luxury!! :yuck
I love wandering around Panjim and do the bus and ferry route. The markets are so colourful with their spices etc, and the women in the fish market are so funny and happy!
Watching the 'road workers' amazes me and then you walk a bit further and see large house etc. It's just nice to get of the beaten track.

I have also been to a small orphange there run by nuns, playing with the children and seeing the smiles really makes me realise what I have got at home. (This orphange has nothing and most of the children appeared to have some sort of disability from slight to severe)
squigs,Wonderful fish market!!

not when your feeling ill and have had your first indian bus ride.... :rofl :rofl
Adele victoria, you obviously didn't make it as far as the meat and poultry market then?? :rofl :rofl :rofl
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.