Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
panjim
65 Posts
Hello Bob, we go every time we go to Goa.

Most of the time we just visit the sports shops.
I think they have a Nike shop, and an Adidas shop. There are a few more but cant think of them.
there is a levis and a benetton shop also...the levis shop had excellent prices - and they alter any jeans there and then for you for free..son bought about 4 pairs when he was there all £80 + in the uk bought all four pairs for around £65 including alterations for a perfect fit...
oh and as for hussle and bussle - cant say i noticed any at all - in fact it was quite quiet - this was around easter time last year..
For food - try lunch at the Hotel Venite in 31 January Road, it's in an old Portuguese building - don't be put off by the look of the place. ;) The house speciality is stuffed crab.

Alternatively try the Horseshoe Cafe alongside Ourem Creek, it's chic and trendy and has A/C.
The speciality is a starter of salted tongue, it's not always available as it's imported - so ask for it.

In the evening head down to Santa Monica Pier and get on one of the sunset cruises. They set off about 6.30pm and return about 7.30/8 pm. :cheers
We visit Panaji every year, last year went on my own as the wife gets worn out with the heat. Most of the time we have always seen the same places as all tourists (the heart of the city - with the designer shops).
On my own travels, I got the bus to Betim and got the free ferry across, then after leaving the jetty turned right and kept on walking and walking. You come across some suprising parks,football/cricket grounds,open-air pool,sculpture park and some very nice old style portuguese houses. Eventually I reached Mirimar beach,and the heat got to me by then so sat down had an ice cream and an hour long chat with some locals (bought them all one !).
I then decided to make my way back to the city center and cut through a lot of built up housing,(see where the money people live), you get a lot of looks as the locals must be thinking what you are doing away from the center? Eventually got back on track and found a part of the market I have never been to, so browsed round there and then round the fish market - always interests me to see what they are selling.
Always some fresh cooked food stalls around and got some free samples. Then on to an old bar we have always called in and had a small beer (or 3...).Don't ask me where it is as I still get lost finding it ! but it's not far from the Reebok shop and down a side road - must be loads more, but that is the beauty of having a day out and a good look round.
Plenty of places to eat, and suprising how many very clean 'modern' style cafe bars there are,just see what looks good to you and go in.
There is a museum not far from the old Pato bridge,free to get in (an hour should do you) - interesting to see and good info from the guides working there.
I would also set off early (8.00am),to help with the heat.
As for things to buy - depends what you want ? Don't ignore the big department store,worth a browse to see what's on offer. Also you will see the equivelent of our 'pound shop' the 99rps shop !!
On your way back to the jetty for the ferry have a look for the 'Top Gear' pub - small but nice and cool,decent draught ale as well.
Have fun !!
Don't forget the Inox Cinema - the Golden Compass is on this week. ;)
We go to Panjim everytime we go to goa we get the bus 8 rupees ..get off at the ferry ...get the ferry over to the otherside of the river (the ferry is free) just walk about there are so many shops to see ....the new big shop ..Vishal is a must you have to go there it has 4 floors and sells allsorts ....... :hols its about time we got some new smilies...colleen
To add to the list , a walk around the Fontainhas and Sao Tome area for the old world charm . MG road for Lacoste Benetton etc and good coffee at Coffee Day . As spike said there are lots of good places to eat and drink, my favorites are Sher -e - Punjab , Virhar and the food court at Hotel Fidalgo, good place if you need the loo !
Good shops are Bombay Bazzar and Baron for clothes , Broadway bookshop , all on 18th June road. Lot's of stalls selling the best cashew nuts around the market
spike that sounds great-almost like a mini report! we have never been to panjim,always mean to and then get sidetracked.this year we are determined to go. i like the idea of the bus and ferry-sounds more fun than a taxi! any idea when the last ferry is ?
thanks
The bus and ferry trip is a MUST ! Great fun, even if we did get on the wrong one on our return to Calangute !
We followed Maxbiker's excellent recommendations and headed to the Horshoe Cafe for lunch. It was due to close at 2.00pm and as it was 1.45pm we didn't go in but it looked excellent. Instead we went searching for and found ( after a while) the Hotel Venite. We had a seat on one of the tiny balconies, were you can people watch from above whilst having lunch. Absolutely brilliant spot and made the whole day one of the holiday highlights. To be honest the food at Venite was not brilliant by any means, and we did have two different meals to judge by, but the building, atmosphere and the Kingfisher served in iced glasses was superb.
Go for it
PS The market is very interesting, superb range of produce, a little brutal in places (butchery dept) but recommended visiting. Turn right along the promenade when getting off the ferry and cross over the road in about 200 yds.
Anyone into motorbikes, there is also the Royal Enfield Showroom, not a large place, but 3 or 4 nice looking bikes on show, some brochures to pick up, and take a walk round the back and have a chat with the mechanics.
The Marriott does an excellent buffet at lunchtimes for around 800rps. Lovely hotel.
We returned from Goa two weeks ago and the Levis shop was having a refit. We were disappointed this year as the Lacoste shop had hardly anything in it!!
The Levis shop may be open now of course, hope you have a great holiday :wave:
I can't belive the famouse Delhi Darbar has not been mentioned yet. Great food! :)
Tracey I was going to mention it but then forgot what it was called, I thought it was Delhi Dunbar :duh Yes another world in there, great service and fantastic food. The 'meet and greet' guy at the door is a sight to behold! Best banana split ive ever ever had :tongue
I may have asked this question before in a different thread but i cant find it, do you know what the opening times for the Dehli Darber are? And what dishes would you recommend?

I think if its open around 4-5pm we might go in for something to eat after our shopping trip

Thanks
Found this website on the intranet with opening times for Delhi Darbar.
http://www.restrobar.com/india/goa/Delhi-Darbar.html
Yummymummy - anything on the menu is worth a go - all good food. Also the best Pinacoladas ever (thick as a mcD's milk shakes).
P.S Check your bill as they add a service charge (...or they did last time we were in).
Thanks for the link Tracy .

Spike - my mouths watering now, not because you mentioned the pinacolada :rofl

How much do they usually add on the service charge?
I dont mind paying service charges, but only if i get good service.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.