EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
Hi,

I havent used them but Parador are known for price hiking. You could very well find the same properties at other agents for a lot lot less!!

We have just bought in Yesilkent nr Altinkum - so if your going anywhere near there I could pass on the names of agents we viewed with - all were very professional.

Joolz :wink:
I am thinking of booking an Inspection Trip with Parador Properties myself. Is there any 'hard sell' involved?
Hi
I've read some of the reports but can only comment on our experience with Parador. We went out to Cyprus earlier in the year and did not buy anything. We went to Turkey (Altinkum) about 6 weeks ago and bought an apartment.
In both cases we were happy with the way things were done. There was no 'hard sell' but you do have someone with you from about 10-4 and again in the evenings. There is a clear expectation that you have come to look at property and that seems fair enough. The holiday can come later!
The people we had on both occasions were pleasant, interesting company and would take you to see whatever property you wanted. They spent time trying to find out exactly what you were looking for.
While in Turkey we checked out the prices directly with the builders (not mentioning Parador) and found them to be exactly the same.
Maybe we were lucky but we found it to be a useful experience and are very pleased with what we have bought. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions.
Roy
Any company who offers you an Inspection trip will of course be trying hard to sell you a property! They do not do these trips for 99 pounds per person with nice accomodation, wine and dine you and run you about all over the place for nothing!!! They will probably 'sit on you' for the duration of your stay!!! These inspection trips costs these companies money and they need to get it back! If you want to view property make your own way to the resort and then see a few agents.
As I suspected. I'll give them a miss. There is nothing worse than 'hard sell' and to be pressurised into signing on the dotted line there and then.

I'd like to make at least three trips before I decided on a purchase, it is a big life changing decision and not something to be finalised in one short inspection trip.
BenidormHereICome

I'd like to make at least three trips before I decided on a purchase, it is a big life changing decision and not something to be finalised in one short inspection trip.

In my opinion that is exactly the right course of action. We spent 2/3 trips just getting to know locations then 2 further visits actually renting out privately on complexes. Tenerife was our choice but the principles are the same in my view.

We established what was right for us and we were lucky to have an excellent reputable local agent recommended to us by satisfied clients.
myself and my wife went went on an inspection tour with parador properties and we paid into the owners club after agreeing to buy propertie. cut a long story short. because parador properties did not live up to there after sales we have now lost 59,0000 euro. i am not saying don't go with them just don't trust them as much as we did. be very careful. needless to say this ain't over with yet.
i bought with them on the second inspection trip

there is a little hard sell but all you have to remember is you are the Boss and its your money

steer clear from Atlas thats all i can say
My thoughts on the big sales companies.

Firstly this is not about any particular company but some general observations.

Secondly I declare my interest openly as the owner of a small agency here in sunny Turkey.

1. A lot of these big companies have exclusive contracts with the big builders or complexes. This allows them to take upto 22 percent commission YES thats nearly a quarter of your money. So they can afford to pay for inspection trips etc.

2. For the developer to make his money and the big agency to get their large slice something has to give. if between them they are well overpriced for the area they have to stop you from viewing other properties whilst you are out here. If they are priced about the same as others then chances are that the developer is improving his margins by lowering the quality of the product.

3. The big agencies employ sales reps on commission only and they obviously need the sales and will pressurise according to how well they are selling.

4. Big agency reps are there to close sales and are not interested in follow up and after sales thats passed on to A.N other thus you get what ever qaulity of aftersales that can be provided in the most cost effective manner.

5 Big agencies play the numbers game in that they are not too worried about the odd complaint its not going to hurt their image, where as a small agent worries more about this.

I am not going to say all small agencies are better, but you are likely to get a more personalised service.

I am sure you can work out that if these companies are on big percentages that its going to take a while before your capital gain negates that effect.

IF you have used a big company and had a good experience great but if I was buying (as I often do ) I do have a look around first.
I am just bringing this back to the front of the forum given the recent postings on another parador thread. it makes interesting parralel reading!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.