France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
The price has come down again so I've just booked the Sorbonne - 1 double room with shower for £140 for 3 nights. What a bargain :D
Heading to Paris on Thursday for a couple of days. Really excited now. Anyone been recently? Any recommendations or things to avoid ?
Well have been to Paris and we had a great time. Would thoroughly recommend our Hotel (Best Western Empire Elyssee Hotel). Will put review in Hotels Section for you all to read. We really enjoyed Paris. Arrived at Beauvais airport about 5.15 pm on Thursday night and got
bus into Paris. Found our Hotel fairly easily. Then headed out to Arc de Triomphe which was only a 2 minute walk from Hotel. It is an amazing structure. Even more amazing is the traffic around it. Cars, buses, scooters, bikes whizzing in from all directions, no lane markings or anything. It is great to watch. On the Friday we were up early to see the sights. Walked to Eiffel Tower (about 25 minute walk). Queues weren't too bad at 9.30 am when we got there. Went up the tower to the top. What fantastic views. We then got the batobus up the river. You pay 11 euros each and can get on and off as often as you like during the day. We first got off at the Notterdam Cathedral stop. Had a nice lunch in a nearby cafe and then had a wander round the cathedral - it is a gorgeous building. Then it was back on the bus and we carried on round and got off at the Louvre. The gardens/fountains etc are great. We went inside and saw the Mona Lisa and the Venus de Milo statue (among other things). Then it was back on the batobus - this time getting of at Champs Elysee. Walked back to the hotel from there. Had a rest then out to dinner. On the Saturday we just pottered about, did a bit of shopping and soaked up the atmosphere. The weather was really good the whole time and Paris is a lovely city.
Thanks Skyegal :tup

You can read Skyegal's review HERE :wink:

Pippy :D
Glad to hear you had a good time Skygal.

Our Paris trip is off - came back from China to an email to say that BMI are pulling out of Durham Tees so they've cancelled our flight :(
Looked at easyjet from Newcastle but the return flight time is late and I have to be at work the next day so we've had to postpone.....
Aw that is such a shame because I know you were really looking forward to your trip. How frustrating when that happens. Will you get your money back for flights and hotel ?

You will have to put Paris back on your list of "Places to Go" for future trips.
Thanks Skyegal - we got a full refund from BMI and our deposit from the hotel too so at least we didn't lose any money.

Paris is now next on our city break list after New York as we're planning to go there next year!
Hi,

i am taking my girlfriend to paris for her birthday in mid november.
i want it to be perfect and we want to see the usual touristy sights.
please can you give me the benefit of your expertise and let me know the best value travel to get. i have checked out the many links to sites and have studied the batobus, open tour and metro maps but still can not make up my mind.
oh yes and we are on a tight budget. although the cheap hotel and flights have helped.
i am also after advice on which sights to see in any given day. we have our hearts set on LOUVRE, EIFFEL TOWER, CHAMPS-ELYSSES/ARC, NOTRE DAME, MOULIN ROUGE and STADE de FRANCE.
all help gratefully received.
Hi,

i am taking my girlfriend to paris for her birthday in mid november.
i want it to be perfect and we want to see the usual touristy sights.
please can you give me the benefit of your expertise and let me know the best value travel to get. i have checked out the many links to sites and have studied the batobus, open tour and metro maps but still can not make up my mind.
oh yes and we are on a tight budget. although the cheap hotel and flights have helped.
i am also after advice on which sights to see in any given day. we have our hearts set on LOUVRE, EIFFEL TOWER, CHAMPS-ELYSSES/ARC, NOTRE DAME, MOULIN ROUGE and STADE de FRANCE.
all help gratefully received.

merci
HI, Me and my wife are going to Paris on Weds for 2 nights (just got back from Menorca on sat after a week in the sun with the kids) so we are wondering what prices we can expect to pay for food and drinks etc. We are staying at the hotel Nord et Champagne in the 10th arrondissement. We are only the a short time cos we land at CDG at 19.25 on weds evening and leave at 10.20 on fri morning so any help would be appreciated, Thanks :?
How did you go Alexfan. What was your hotel like? We are staying there in January.
Alexfan - just saw review of Nord de Champagne hotel in Hotel Review section - was that your review?

Hotel doesn't sound good - hope it didn't spoil your trip to Paris too much.

Skate have you seen the review!?
Yep it's my review but it didn't spoil the trip because we were hardly in the hotel anyway :tdown
Yes, have read the review. Maybe it will be too cold for the bed bugs when we go in January!!!!!!! Oh no! We were recommended this hotel. Maybe the bed bugs just didnt like Alex!
:lol: Skate.

Glad you did not let it spoil your trip Alexfan and that you enjoyed Paris.
hi,

can anyone speak fluent french??????????????

if so,

would you mind going on to the paris st germain website for me and see if they do stadium tours in the Parc Des Princes.

http://www.psg.fr/fr/home/home.html

thanks
very much

ian
hi,

re the above post,

i think this is the page i need translating

http://www.psg.fr/fr/ticketing/0,,,001.html

thanks

ian
Hi tuppence

You may get a better response by posting in our France forum.

luci :wave
Hi

Using my school girl french :P I think it is saying they do a tour every wednesday afternoon - as long as there are no matches etc!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.