France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
cheers
142 Posts
hi all,

less than 2 week to go before my 1st trip to paris.

i need help.

i am intending on proposing to my girlfriend at the top of the eiffel tower.
firstly is that too cheesy???
secondly, how do i get the ring through security without her seeing it??
any ideas??

cheers
ian
Hi Tuppence

We went to Paris in January this year and my boyfiend proposed to me, no I don't think its cheesy its very romantic. He did plan on propsing at the top but there were too many people so he did it at the bottom were it was very quite near the park bench. He managed no problem with security as they only check handbags at the eiffel tower. Although he did have a worry at the airport, he had the ring on the insideside pocket of his jacket and got serched, :oops: luckily they didn't spot it as it would have spoiled his surprise.

Good luck to you, it will be fantastic.
Dawn :wink:
Ahhh Tuppence. That is lovely and very romantic.

As Dawn says the Eiffel Tower can get very busy. They bundle a crowd of you into the lift to take you to the top then go back down and get more. It goes up and down dropping people off all the time. Perhaps if you go first thing in the morning before the tour buses come in with their people then it will be quieter.

Or else at night time as I expect it might be quieter then. We went during the daytime but I bet it is beautiful at night with the city all lit up below.

Security is not a problem as they only do a quick check of any bags you have. So if you have the ring in a secure pocket of your jacket then it will be fine.

Whatever you decide I hope it all goes well.
All the best.
hi,

its the airport i am worried about more than anything. i will have to put it on my person but what happens when i go thru the bleepy thing?
Don't worry Tuppence, a lot of us girls wear rings and the security doesn't bleep for us.

Have a great time. I'm sure she'll find it really special.

Patka
hi
so should i wear it? and put the jewellery box in the hold luggage?
or should i keep the whole thing on me?
Just keep it in your hand luggage, DO NOT put it in your hold luggage. No matter what its monetary value is. It is priceless to you and should be with you at all times.

Patka
hi
hi,

but when it goes through the bleeper, will the customs dude not just rifle thru and take it out?
Provided it is not made steal you will be ok. I go through the scanners evey year with my gold jewelery on and it never goes off
hi
so it should be ok in my hand luggage then?????????

sorry for all the perseistent questions but as i'm sure you can imagine, after all the planning i have put in, i would hate for the surprise to be ruined at the airport.

one more question.

we are both massive tennis fans and want to go to Roland Garros. i know they do a guided tour at 11am and it says to book but i have repeatedy emailed them and had no reply. my only other option would be to ring them but i dont speak any french (apart from the basics. and je suis perdu)
any suggestions???
hi,

does anybody have any suggestions on things to do at night in Paris.
finding your way around any city is hard enough in the day, never mind the dark.

we are on a budget but would like 1 decent night somewhere and a couple of budget nights.
when i say decent night, i am not talking moulin rouge prices as they are way out of our league.

all suggestions gratefully received

ian

p.s. it is for 2 adults. no kids.
Hi Tuppence

The Dinner Cruises are meant to be really good. You get a great meal and wine on the boat as it cruises up the River. A good way to see the city at night time.
Has anyone done the tour of Paris in a 2CV?
If so what's your thoughts? Worth it or not? If good do you have a contact e-mail address?
Would you advise staying close to the eiffel tower or going further out as i want to be central to most attractions

Thanks x
Don't like these condensed threads as I don't think people are as willing to read them as they are too long :(
BUT I'm giving it another go anyway: Has anyone visited the Moulin Rouge and if so what do you think? Is it worth a visit?
Any other must-sees apart from obvious ones like Eiffel Tower/Notre Dame/Museums that anyone would suggest would be much appreciated. I'm going for a couple of days mid-Feb.
Where's the best cafe for people-watching/relaxing etc. in your opinion?

Please reply! :wink:
Hi toastedmallow, can help with your question just windering how are you getting from the airport to your accomodation?

I am going the end of Feb and i dont know how i am getting to my hotel, i have heard taxi's are very expensive.
Hi Tatty,
I'm using a pick-up service from CDG airport. There are loads of these mini-bus shuttle services that take you door-to-door.
eg Paris shuttle, shuttle direct.
Put in a search for 'Paris tranfers from CDG' ad you'll get loads of hits.
17 euros upwards for 1 way journey. Hope this is useful! :wink:
Toasted, it will be too cold for sitting outside and people watching!

We were there last year in February and although it didn't rain or snow but the wind was perishing.

Try the Catacombs: http://triggur.org/cata/ Gory but fascinating and deeply unsettling all at the same time.

Or Parc des Buttes-Chaumont: http://www.v1.paris.fr/en/Visiting/gardens/parc_buttes_chaumont.asp
charming, pretty, and a lovely breather in the middle of Paris away from the crowds.

The Pompidou Centre is worth a visit and if you do want to people watch then there are plenty of cafes in the vicinity to do that:
http://www.cnac-gp.fr/Pompidou/Accueil.nsf/Document/HomePage?OpenDocument&L=2

To be honest walking is the best way to discover Paris. Hard work but rewarding because you always find something you have never heard of before, lurking around the corner. For details of how we walked our legs off and where we went and enjoyed last time in Paris see here:

http://isobelmagsbuchan.blogspot.com/2006_03_01_isobelmagsbuchan_archive.html
Thanks Toastedmallow

Magster i found that information you posted really useful thanks a lot

Emma x

Only 1 month to go
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.