Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
I had this dilemma when I went to Sharm last year. My children's passports would have only had five months left on return, I didn't want to take a chance as I knew about the six month rule so had them renewed.

Pippy :D
We renewed our passports on line.
It was easy, and they were here within a few days.
You will need to renew your passport to satisfy the 'at least six months before expiry' rule, but I'm sure that I've read somewhere that the new passport will then run for ten years plus the months you 'lose' by renewing early, such as ten years and three months. This would only apply up to say six months.
hi all, yes will have to renew your passports we travelled to maldives in october and our passports were until march 06 and we were told to renew them, but you dont loose any months they are added on so our new 10yr passport is for 10yr 5 months.
the 6 month rule is correct, however if you go to http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket%2FXcelerate%2FShowPage&c=Page&cid=1007029390590&a=KCountryAdvice&aid=1013618385875 and scroll down to the passport section you will see that they say they will accept you if your passport is valid for the duration of your stay. only problem is will they let you out of england and back in!
i have just renewed my passport and they did add on the extra months.
I can't believe it, I've booked my honeymoon in Sharm leaving this Sunday 2nd April and just found out that my passport needs to be valid for 6 months. It expires in the next couple of months!!! :shock:

What can I do? Shall I just travel and hope I don't end up high and dry in Egypt?
I wouldnt take the chance - you will probably be stopped in your tracks at checkin :( :( If you ring the passport office they can arrange for you to get a new one in person before you go . You will have to pay more and may have to travel across the uk to do it :( :( . a friend of a friend leaves this wednesday and has just found out their passports have run out. :shock: :shock: :shock: . The only place they can get them done before wed is in Durham passport office tomorrow morning - 6 hours drive :shock: :shock: so her hubby is getting a flight to newcastle :shock: :shock:

lyn
Hi

I wouldn't risk it either :?

Have a look HERE at Tatty's post. It's expensive, but not as expensive as a lost holiday.

Just get to the Postoffice get a form for a renewal and get them to fast track it

our grandkids ones took 10 days

Gray
the madcaravanner
Just get to the Postoffice get a form for a renewal and get them to fast track it

our grandkids ones took 10 days

Not much use if they're going in 6 days though. :lol:

As Lyn says, I would think the only way to get it done in time would be going in person to a passport office. I don't know where you are but HERE are where the passport offices are located. And THIS will be the service you require. The fee is £96.50 for the Premium same day service.

Good luck.
Do as Everest says, but remember to take your old passports with you plus a set of new photographs. Just turn up at your nearest passport issuing office as early as possible, (preferably the same one that issued your old passports) and ask them to fast track it for the same day. It is also handy to have other documents with you such as birth certificates, driving licences, marriage certificates if applicable, a few utility bills etc. Non of these are necessary but with this type of emergency you never know what you may be required to produce. I have done this myself in the past, so don't panic. :wink:
Tez
Also make sure you have your photographs certified on the back - you will need to check on the passport form who is able to do this, but it is a necessity.

I had a drama a few years ago and had to go to London Passport office, you go at your allocated appointment timing, hand over all your stuff and then have to go back 6 or so hours later to pickup your new passport. The expense is well worth the peace of mind.

Hope it all works out for you.
i dont know weather this will help but i went to tunisa in aug last year and you supose to have 6 months on your passport but mine run out in oct didnt notice till it was nearly time to go.
brutam.
The difference between Tunisia and Sharm is the usual visa requirement for Egypt. Because of this, passports are very well scrutinised and scanned on arrival - arriving in Tunisia on most occasions you wave it at an immigration officer and walk through!!

Personally I wouldn't risk not updating my passport for Egypt!
Just thought I would add that you don't have to have the new photos verified for renewal passports as long as you can be recognised from the passport you are renewing.
Just another quick thought. If you are needing your passport for your honeymoon and it is still in your maiden name when you renew it, you will have to take your marriage certificate to show at Passport control. I made this mistake - tickets were in married name and passport was still in maiden name - had a last minute panic! But they accepted the marriage certificate. You will probably have to show it at check in aswell. Hope all goes well.
Annie
Thanks everyone, I have just booked an appointment in Durham (200 mile round trip) :shock: :oops: :cry: for this Thursday at 11.30.

Very nearly hard a heart attack yesterday, but in the end I suppose it's not all that bad. Now I've just got to find something to do in Durham for 4 hours. :?

I'm staying in the Pyramisa is Sharm and I'm easily pleased so I'm sure it will all be worth it in the end. :D

Thanks again, you're all wuvvwy. :P
At least you'll be able to relax once it's sorted :wink: If that had been me and I hadn't bothered renewing, I'd have been in a panic all the way there! Not a good start to a holiday.

Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.