America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
I've just done mine and 4 others for a trip later this year and it was a pretty easy process, not much different than supplying API information to airlines. As long as you're careful and double check the information you supply, it only takes a couple of minutes and you can print out your approval straight away if all goes to plan. I was expecting it being more difficult than it was really!

Darren
Hi, I applied for an ESTA last year and when I got it, travelled to the USA with no problem
Now I am returning to the USA but wonder if it's ok to turn up without doing anything because the US authorities must have my details
when I look at my flight booking they keep mentioning the ESTA so am I meant to reapply or do something ?
thamks for any advice you can give.
hovis,

ESTA's last for 2 years. As long as it's still valid, there's nothing you need to do. You can update your fight and accommodation details if you wish, but it isn't mandatory. If your passport has been renewed, you'll need to renew your ESTA.

Darren
As Darren said, it's still valid provided you haven't renewed your passport.

You can check the status of your ESTA by logging onto the site if you either have the number or your passport number. The link is on Page 1 of this topic.

I used to update my flight and accommodation details even though it isn't mandatory, but don't bother now and never had a problem.
I applied for 2 ESTAs for me and my OH for our holiday next month. It came back to say that it had gone through but we didn't receive any confirmation to the email address I put in. Does anyone know if that's normal or not? Thanks
Rachels79,

That's normal. I just printed out the confirmation when I did them for my records. You can retrieve the confirmation by entering your details on the ESTA website that Luci mentioned, although it's not needed for entry.

Darren
hi, I've done our ESTA's and you can only put the first 9 digits of the passport no in. Is that right? Because when submitting api,
thomas cook said I need to put full passport no in for that. So just wondered if that was right.

Thankyou. :)
Hi Andrea ... in case of any confusion, your passport number is the 9 digit number shown in the top right hand corner of the passport's personal data page.

David :wave
Sorry - Im confused now. Is it not the number at the bottom of the info page? Which one do i put in API and ESTA?

Sorry if i sound stupid but i've never done this before.

:tup
andreaB wrote:
Is it not the number at the bottom of the info page?

No, that's for other purposes. It's the 9 digit number on the top right of the passport's personal data page under 'Passport No' as David mentioned.

Darren
Hi guys, just a quick question.

My daughter is off to USA next Tuesday, she is going to our nearest passport office on Friday to get a premium one day renewal passport as hers has expired. After she has her passport on Friday evening, will it still be possible for her to apply for her ESTA just 2 working days before travel? I thought there would be no problem with this but we want to be sure!

CourtneeLouise xx
Hi CourtneeLouise ... U.S. Customs & Border Protection advises that applications should be made at least 72 hours before travel. However, in most cases authorisation is given within seconds of submitting an application.

David :wave
CourtneeLouise,

Once she has her new passport number, she can apply for her ESTA. Most of the time, the ESTA will go through straight away. Mine took 24 hours for whatever reason but there should be enough time although you're advised to allow 3 days. She can't travel without a valid ESTA.

EDIT: David beat me to it!

Darren
Hello,

In case anyone else is thinking off applying for a visa soon, there is a advised wait time of 20 - 22 weeks from the us embassys website. Which used to be 14 - 16 weeks. This is when you need to be recommended for a waiver of inelegibility. Just to let people know. Unfortunatley we were unaware of this before my husbands appointment last week. Im hoping his visa arrives in time as we travel in 23 weeks :(
I was on holiday in florida last year and filled in my esta form i have been told that it lasts for 2 years, although i am due to travel agin quite soon the address this year is different to what i filled out on my esta last year. do i need to fill out a new esta with the new address for this years holiday??
You need to login to the old ESTA on the website and update it.

Chris
My mum's just booked a holiday for us to the US for next May as a package holiday. Do we have fill in ESTA forms ourselves or will the travel company do it for us? Also do you have to pay to fill out an ESTA form?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.