Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
Shopping in KL
17 Posts
The shops in the central market are rather fab- art and crafts from all over Malaysia

Chinatown is interesting but not as good as it used to be but worth it for a meal out
Sungai Wang for electronics, clothes jewellery, video games etc (always worth a look usually cheaper than chinatown).
Low Yat Plaza - best place for compter stuff.
Times Square - upmarket shopping mall with amusement park inside (including rollercoaster) and imax cinema.
Pavillion & KLCC - Two upmarket shopping malls with a mixture of chain stores and designer outlets
Handbags, handbags and more handbags. :D
G'day Shirl ;)

We have two nights in KL too. I have narrowed down two hotels purely on the fact that they are really REALLY low rise by comparison with the rest of KL (on account of me being a bit a mardy with heights and lifts) they are in a good shopping and eating area and affordable.

It's between the Royale Bintang and the Piccolo Hotel. At the moment the Piccolo is winning on hotel reviews and position. However, today I emailed the Piccolo with the email from their website which was returned to me. I was and still am hoping to get a better room rate than the online booking agencies give.

Where have you decided to stay in KL?

Cheers Geri
Hi gerib , I have actually booked the Royal Bintang as they have a 2 night special which includes breakfast on their website, looks quite a nice hotel :tup
After having just seen some ordinary photos of the Piccolo (all laminated floors and dark bedspreads) I've swung back to the Royale Bintang. I didn't see a two night special on their website but their deluxe rooms came in at 604 ringits = about $280 all taxes but no breaky.
I checked out an online booking agency and they come in at $330AUD all taxes and breaky which is reasonable... but how Asian hotels prices have escalated over the past 20 years, you could get a fabulous swisho hotel for $30 a night. Oh! those were the days.
:cheers Geri
Shirley

I thought I must share this with you (given your name is ShirleyV) We are reasonably, kind of well travelled but wherever I go, I get the "I know you"... I've tried yeah! it's me Catherine Zeta Jones but somehow they don't believe me (can't think why) LoL.

It takes a while but eventually it clicks... Yep! it's Shirley Valentine. I'm flattered as I love the actress but I don't think I look nothing like her apart from age and sense of humour... perhaps it's my Northern accent and wicked wit (which I haven't shown here YET)

Cheers Geri
:rofl that is amazing I have only tagged myself as for years and years people have commented that I look like Shirley Valentine !!
Off topic but are you English?

I have just checked my reservation and we have booked a deluxe room for 258 ringitts per night incl breakfast , the offer was called The Royal Experience.
I know what you mean about rooms pricing ,a few years ago we stayed at both the Dusit Thani and the Landmark in Bangkok for approx £30 per night , now they are about £80 :really
Yes... I'm English to the core ... long story but I have a Lancashire accent even though we have been in Melbourne a very long time.

I checked out the Royale Bingtang and couldn't find any 2 night specials... however, I did search the www and found many a 2 night special with some on line booking agencies but only for the superior rooms. Me thinks you got a very good deal which is no longer available. Agh! :cry

Cheers Geri
We stayed at the Royale Bintang last year and were only paying about 34 a night for the 2 of us!
Booked the hotel through TravelBag as they came out cheaper than doing it direct.

Good brekkie there as well, easy walking to Chinatown and Jalan Alor just across the road.
Brilliant Calhorn, sounds great to me :tup
Well I booked the Royale Bintang through Air Asia's Go Holiday, well! I thought I did. Everything went well but when I pressed to pay the next page came up with just 'computer speak' my heart sank, thinking I've done my dough. I printed off the page (for the bank) and stared at it for a long time. I googled the computer speak and finally emailed Go Holidays. After a couple of emails they eventually decided it was a failed transaction... Phew!!

Go holidays was the best price and I'd like to give them another go, but after googling GH I find that they are 'having a break' and updating their website... now why didn't it say that on GH's homepage. It took 3 days to sort that mess out.

So back to the drawing board :cry

Cheers Geri
you'll get there in the end :)
Well I did enjoy a little bit of retail therapy in the Central Market , all we had time for, the Malls looked impressive but didn't venture into any of them :(
Central Market as Calhorn says is all about mainly arts and crafts, some lovely stuff in there ( and some tack too) we bought a very , very heavy buddha head in there which depicts a different face on each side i.e happy, sad etc. It is really heavy and very unusual, never seen one like it before, it was from an antique type shop upstairs, I love it.
Chinatown is all fake, fake, fake, sunglasses, watches, bags, down Petalang Street , didn't buy anything (except a tacky bottle opener of the Petronas Towers, we always buy a tacky souvenir for a joke) I enjoyed sitting having a beer there and watching the world go by :)
Central Market was really interesting- I agree. Also agree re China Town. After seeing the ones in Bangkok and Singapore I was just so disappointed with KL.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.