Spain - All Other Costas, Inland Areas Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding all Spanish areas not covered.
Costa de la Luz
4 Posts
Hey John, welcome to the forum.

Not sure how much you know about the Costa de la Luz, so hope I don't bore you with information.

Here goes, Costa de la Luz is separated into the Huelva Province and the Cadiz Province, Huelva Province goes from Seville to the West as far as the border with Portugal, taking in places such as, Matalacanas, Donana National Park, Islantilla, Isla Christina, Isla Canela (Ayamonte), and many more places in between. The Cadiz Province, runs South of Seville, and along the coast East towards Gibraltar, taking in Arcos, Lebrija, Sanlucar de Barrameda, Cadiz, Medina Sidonia, Jerez, Vejer de la Frontera, Chiclana, Tarifa. Wherever you end up, they are all lovely places, that in my opinion offer the "real" Spain, were doing your utmost to speak the language is the way forward.

All of the above places are coastal, however, places like Lebrija, Vejer de la Frontera, Jerez are all within 15-30 minutes of the coast line. In all of the above places you will find lots of properties to rent if you wish to self cater. Jerez is just a fabulous mini Seville (so I've been told, not having made it to Seville yet) and has a lovely bus tour of the town which is a must to get your bearings, but ensure if you're on the top deck (and you will be), DO NOT sit on the left hand side - if you do, be prepared to duck quickly in order to miss being hit by the palm trees!!

It all really depends on the kind of holiday you're seeking and whether you will have transport or whether you're relying on trains and buses. For instance I know that the train service from Sevilla to the coast is very reliable and stops at Lebrija (very pretty old town) and obviously Cadiz and I believe the system continues along the coast to Tavira (but I stand to be corrected as it's a while since I've been in that area).

Now should you wish to enjoy the Costa de la Luz and take a bit of travel into Portugal, you can do no better than staying in Isla Canela (Ayamonte) or Isla Christina. Ayamonte is the last Spanish town before travelling over the Guadiana into Portugal (via the bridge with a car or the ferry on foot), to Villa Real do San Antonio, trains from Villa Real go direct to Faro, or you can travel by car to Tavira, Monte Gordo (very touristy), Castro Marim (just over the border) has a lovely castle & ruins that are pleasant to visit.

Apologies for rambling, but just thinking off the top of my head, if there's anything else you'd specifically like help or advice with, do post the details and I'm sure we'll all do our best to help.

Regards, Scoya
No Jerez you didn't bore me in the least,far from it-all info gratefully received.Thankyou for your time.
We are booked into a hotel in Sevlle for the first couple of days,then thought we would travel down to Cadiz and on to Algericas,before travelling back up to Ayamonte(about 16th August) to lie on a beach for the last 7 days.
I'm busy looking for accommodation at the moment-August clearly is a busy month.I would be grateful for any suggestions?
We were told the lady who runs the Sugar Reef bar rents out apartments,but have been unable to find a contact number/email address?Cheers.John
I'm totally biased but there's no better stretch of beach to veg out on in my humble opinion. :tup As long as there are no further volcanic eruptions, I will be travelling down to Ayamonte this coming Wednesday.

Don't know about Sugar Reef in Isla Canela renting out apartments, but you may get some help from a website called "eye on isla canela" (hope it's OK to post that) with regard contact numbers etc. This is a website that was set up by the owner of a beach apartment and now lots of people who have purchased and who are in the throws of purchasing in and around Isla Canela/Ayamonte use it for lots of useful local information. I know there are a number of apartments that are available for rent on the golf course, down at the beach and at the marina (Punta del Moral) (not sure of the kind of costs involved), but I'm certain you'll find many on the rental websites such as Owners Direct, you could also post a request on the "eye on isla canela" website.

Not sure if you know Isla Canela/Ayamonte well, however there is a chiringuito called Bombadill, that serves deliciously simple good food, fresh fish etc., do give it a try. In Ayamonte itself one of my favourite places is Plaza Luguna (Cafe Laguna), typical Spanish plaza, great coffee, a great spot to people watch.

If there's anything else I can help you with don't hesitate to ask.

Scoya.

PS Just a thought, but if you're travelling up from Seville/Cadiz to Ayamonte, if time permits take a drive down to El Rocio - it's a town not to be missed, all the roads are sand and everyone, pretty much is on horse back. But this is where the yearly pilgrimmage is made to from Sanlucar de Barrameda.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.