Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
Los boliches is a good area, out of the centre of fuengirola so not as busy but with plenty of bars and restauraunts, the back streets have retained spanish character and theres some good local bars to be found. As for entertainment theres lots to be found in the bar/restaurants on the paseo maritimo. The train station is a good link along the coast for the remainder of the resorts.
I'd highly recommend la Carihuela which is between Benalmadena and Torremolinos. we were there for Easter a couple of years ago and are going back again next easter. The beauty is in its location as you can walk along the promenade to either of its neighbouring resorts. As for La Carihuela itself, it's a gem of a place with some nice eateries and bars. It has definitley kept its Spanish flavour although there are some british bars about too.
Hi

I would also definately reccomend La carihuela fab location :cheers ...it is an area of torremolinos...its great

Jo x
The best spot on the Costa del Sol is Gibraltar. It is still very British even after 300years.
Mind you, Best to avoid a few places that rip you off such as paying in Euros at a shocking exchange rate, ( Gibraltars main currency is the UK Pound) ciggys are cheap, booze and petrol, not much else, better off shopping in Spain. The Monkeys on the top of the Rock will pinch your bag in a flash and sometimes bite. Also to be avoided is a cowboy dolphin trip on a yellow boat, They pack tourists in like sardines and go really slow for over an hour, see the odd fin here and there, very expensive mistake. I understand the other companies doing dolphin trips are much better but I wouldn't know.
Electrical goods on Main st are all tax free, but that dosn't mean you won't pay more than in the UK and it is a long way to take stuff back, I bought a laptop from an outlet half way up main st who did't want to know 2 weeks later when it died. There ARE bargines to be had but be carefull, some leather goods are well priced and also diamonds jewelry etc.
Everywhere speaks English, phone and post boxes are red, bobbies were UK helmetes and even the pubs allow smoking.
So apart from all that, it's alright?
I have always very much enjoyed Benalmadena... gorgeous port, great location for ease of travel, lots going on whether you want classy bars or a good old boogy, relaxed lifestyle, friendly locals (a lot of whom are British), and great climate, of course.
Marbella is the place to be....
Marbella is the place to be....

If you have lots of money in your wallet :)
I love marbella old town, but normally stay in fuengirola more spanish than benalmadena ...but they all have fab bus / train links to explore..

You might like the hotel Angela in los boliches - opp the beach and is popular with the older clientele, however I have stayed there and Im 40..we love it..the staff are ace and food is good too..
To be honest, any resort along the coast is what you make it. You can have a great holiday in any of the resorts mentioned above, with the possible exeption of Gibraltar. On holiday I don't want to be anywhere that is, "still British", otherwise I'd just stay in the UK and go to Blackpool.

Resorts like Benalmadena, Torremolinos and Fuengirola do have plenty of British bars and restaurants, if that is what you prefer, while still retaining Spanish style and culture in many areas. Anywhere I go in the world, I look for the restaurants where the locals eat and Spain is no different.

As for where to go in March, personally, I think the tips referring you to Carihuela are spot on. I have an apartment at the Torrequebrada end of Benalmadena and my wife and I often make the walk along to Carihuela to enjoy the bars and restaurants there. The beach there is also very clean and pleasant.

Enjoy your holiday, wherever you chose.
Concur with the above and would add Los Boliches to the mix as being typical of the genre..
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.