Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
cash crises
9 Posts
I can't see that the crisis in Greece will have much effect on the Euro exchange rate for the present - in fact I think that our crisis might have a greater effect, that is, the £sterling could weaken against the Euro depending on how the Election goes. As for whether they'll lower their prices in Euro terms I wouldn't hold my breath - it could just as easily result in higher prices if hotels and bars etc in the tourist areas are going to try and maximise their incomes now as insurance against harder times in the future.

SM
maybe we will just have to budget our spending money , as there is only the two of us we dont limit to X amount on a daily basis . i think prices across the board will be about the same , the greeks cant afford to over price themselves now , they need the tourist more than ever now .
The Greek crisis may only be the tip of the iceberg. Spain is not looking too healthy right now. There is a possibility that the euro will weaken against sterling but I always believe it's best to think and act "local" when on holiday outside the UK. If you go to Crete then make the most of the wonderful Cretan cuisine, culture etc. Otherwise why leave the UK?... or simply go to Benidorm!
If you stay in a Brit-dominated tourist centre you'll pay tourist prices and see little in the way of real Crete. In tourist traps items like beer and wine in restaurants and bars are little different from the UK or perhaps, more significantly, the rest of the euro zone. In fact I travel regularly to Holland and many things are cheaper than Crete.
So, get up into the White Mountains and you'll find everthing is much more affordable....and beautiful with it....and visit the best beaches like Falasarna and Elafonissi.
thats exactly what we do ........drink and eat like the locals ........ we are on holiday and get out and about , the holiday will be a sexpensive or cheap as we make it , i think personally that families might notice more of a difference and have to budget more
Llindy
we are on holiday and get out and about , the holiday will be a sexpensive or cheap as we make it

I do hope that was a typo. ;)
Well we live in hope :) .....definately a typo
my secret is out ;) now you know what i get up to on my hols
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.