Spain - Balearics - Menorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Menorca.
Sa Caleta is a tiny resort but with really easy access to a few others. The hotel looks really nice, especially for children and the beach is small, the water is shallow and it is perfect for youngsters. You are near to Santandria and Cala Blanca, more beaches and also restaurants and bars. Get on the bus (unless you have a hire car) and go to Cuitadella to the harbour in an evening or Cala'n Bosch (there is a water park, quite small, and childrens play parks (soft play etc). Anything specific you need let me know.

Have a lovely time. (When are you going?)

Annie
Hi Annie,
Many thanks for your reply. You mention the hotel is on the bus route however we had wondered if it would be worthwhile hiring a car and if so would if it be cheaper doing this outside the travel company. We drive all year and would prefer not - but if needs must. With two kids we are also conscious about restaurants. Do you have any recommendations? We have heard there is a supermarket near the hotel which will be handy. Oh - we are going end of August.
PK
I had a quick our reviews for your hotel here and I see that its said that both bus and taxi are cheap. However, with children you might prefer a car hire. Looks a great hotel :)
We always hire a car but I chicken out of driving - for some reason I can't get my head round the controls being on the opposite side, but I don't mind driving on the right hand side!

Holiday autos, carjet, amigoautos, owners cars are but a few car hire firms. Use a price comparison site to find the cheapest , or book in the resort for a few days.

I don't know any restaurants in Sa Caleta, other members may help, but there are plenty of child friendly places in Cala Blanca. I think that most of the restaurants are good with young children so I am sure you won't have a problem. Try the Cala Blanca on the side of the beach, the Vista Playa apparently has a good restaurant and will have childrens facilities I think.

Use the big supermarket on the main road between Sa Caleta and Cuitadella if you have a car, it is so cheap in comparison for drinks, fruit, snacks, toiletries and food. Resort supermarkets mark up prices much higher.

Have a evening out by the harbour in Cuitadella. There is so much going on, there are some restaurants, one selling really good pizzas, some good fish restaurants and an ice cream shop.
Thank you so much for your replies. The reviews were most helpful. I just bought the AA travel book on the island and it does look beautiful. The book praises the bus service so perhpas we will not need a car. There seems to be a lot of nice places - Saint Thomas etc - along the coast road which might be nice to visit. Many thanks again.
PK.
Grab a car if you can. Its easier to drive there 'on the wrong side' than here in the UK!

Cala Galdana is a must for stunning scenery as is Fornells. Get on a boat trip at Fornells, graet experience modestly priced. If its a big safe beach your after then try Son Bou. Cala 'en Bosch is great to visit in the evening with so many places to eat around a nice marina and try to fit in the trip up Mt Torro the highest point on the island. Half hour before sunset is a good time up there, is cooler, less crowded and you can watch the sunset over Cuitidella.

The Binibeca area is unique and there's a few 'post card' beaches just off the coast road if you watch out for them. Mahon is worth a trip to as well. So many places you should see, a car would be well worth the extra, don't tarnish your holiday waiting in the heat for buses.

Whatever you do, had a good 'un.

Roy
like the other guys have said, get yourself a hire car and visit the many beautiful beaches Menorca has to offer, also Ciutadella(sp?) and Mahon are great places to visit and they're on opposite sides of the island.
Thank goodness someone has heard of Sa Caleta...I am off there on Tuesday and posted a message about who has been there with no replies and have been worrying about this ever since!!1
We are staying at the Prinshotel and have two children aged 5 and 6.
Can you tell me anymore about the area please as I am desperate for information
Many Thanks
Ana sacco
Loads of members seem to have been to Sa Caleta judging by the RESORT REPORTS and there are several from this year.

** Edit - It must be a very popular resort as I have approved 3 or 4 resort reports for it this morning alone.

HTH

luci :wave
Sa Caleta is great. Lots to do, buses are cheap, regular and air conditioned. I went alone with my kids here and had a wonderful time. There is a massive supermarket short taxi ride away, much cheaper than local shops and well worth it!
Get a hire if you want to see what brilliant beaches Menorca has. Unfortunately the West coast of Menorca is the poorest beach selection ( relative to Menorca's very high standards! ) Thats why the hotel population on the west coast is the most dense- was the least attractive place to allow development /read protected , part of he island.

Go to Son Saura on south or Algariens on North coast - paradise!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.