General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
:think interesting. Did you book a package holiday or did you book your flights separately? I'm just wondering as I wouldn't have thought you could prebook seats directly with the airline if you'd booked a package through the travel agent. Then again, thinking about it when I prepaid to book seats through Thos Cook it was Thos cook airlines website that I used to book my seats after paying extra to book early.

Thanks for that post, it should save a bit of money.
I have booked specific seats on Virgin Atlantic before despite booking the holiday with Virgin Holidays.

Please remember that you may only see 1/2 of the seats available for booking but that they only release a certain number of seats that actually can be booked - all the other seats are never available for booking. You may well have been the 1st person trying to book a seat!

Mark :)
Hiya, I booked a package through the agent. Yes true about the seats being released early. I just thought that the agents should be made aware that people can book online earlier if they dont pay for it through the agent.
Hi I've prebooked seats with Thomson for Portugal next year but not sure when I will be able to prebook these?
Maybe ring them and ask when you want to do it. You maybe able to do the same as I did.
we got are seats free, when we booked holiday. thats the first time that has happened.cos any other time we have waited then checked on line and paid for seats, tammie
will have a look at this , this year we were first to check in and when we got tickets were split up .ok we were only across the isle from each other , but still not nice
did you book your seats together? i dont know if its true or not but think they have the right to seat you were they like, if not pre booked,
we didnt book first time around as we thought we would be together and we werent, but now hubbie always makes me check we are together, even if it means paying tho sometimes id wish he,d seat at a back of plane and me at front coming home from any holiday , cos all i get is aww well thats it over all the way home :rofl tammie :)
I am at present awaiting a reply from Thos Cook re not being sat together on our outward flight from Manchester to Paphos in October. I was in 1D my wife in 24D. There were at least 3 pairs of seats unoccupied and I spoke with a member of the cabin staff about this. She was not very happy that this had been done and immediately moved us. An example of how good customer service works. On our return there was a seperate problem re the pick up and I spoke with the transfer rep who told me ALL seat allocations are done in the UK and there was no excuse for what had happened. So I wrote and got the usual "fob off" letter we appreciate feedback etc etc.
So now I have written back pointing out they have not given any explanation. (a) the holiday was booked on 27 Oct 2009 for Mr & Mrs. (b) we were at the check in nearly 3 hours before the flight. (c) Pointing out that the manner in which this was done gave rise to the question- Is this deliberate policy so that people will pay extra to ensure they are seated together. The fact the holiday was booked so far in front and was for 2 people it is obvious that they would want to be seated together. I also pointed out that the manner in which it was done could be construed as a restrictive practice which could result in legal action against them.

Having said all that I have also had problems with Thomson at times. But I have had some great holidays and first class service from both companies.

fwh
We have never pre-booked seats before, and i dont know whether we were lucky but always had seats together, we always arrive with plenty of time at the airport to be one of the first for checking in , i dont mind sitting opposite my hubby as we can still chat , and i can hold his hand on take off and landing, but i wouldn't like to be at one end of the plane and him the other , i do think its just another way of making more money .
We have never pre-booked seats before, and i dont know whether we were lucky but always had seats together, we always arrive with plenty of time at the airport to be one of the first for checking in ,

We always used to get seats together as we're always at the airport at least 3 hours before departure and are always with the first to check in but things have changed. It doesn't matter what time you arrive at check in now as most companies allocate their seats a day or two before check-in. The only way you can guarantee seats together these days is to pay and pre book which I think is totally wrong :( yet more cashing-in.
Also, the seats in the row at the very back of the plane do not recline and I wanted to make sure we didnt get those ones. It suits us to have 2 and 2 together window seats near the back and a few years ago if we got to check in early enough and aked we would have got that but like Lindy said, just another way of making money!
Both Thos Cook and Thomsons seating is allocated by computer about 24 hours before check in.
Apparently the check in staff are told not to change this.
I don't think paying to reserve seating is just a way to make you part with more money. Some people genuinely do not mind if they are sat separately so don't pay to prebook. Others pay to prebook but don't actually select seat numbers, which means they may be across an aisle, or infront/behind each other. Others want to try to ensure they are sat side by side and prefer to select seat numbers. I fall into the latter category and am only too happy to pay to be able to do so.
Thos Cook I think are a bit naughty in the way they deal with selecting seats. The agent, and TC website, will tell you 98 days prior if you use and pay for their priority service, or 2 months without extra payment on top of select your seat payment. If you ring the airline they will let you book anytime it appears.
Thomsons at least do seem to adhere to their policy thus ensuring that everyone has the same chance to select seating of their choice.
Thomas Cook allow you to prebook seats as soon as you have a booking ref number. I have always booked mine months in advance. It is an extra charge I am willing to pay if travelling long haul. If I were travelling for just a couple of hours to Spain for instance, I wouldn't bother.
Thomas Cook allow you to prebook seats as soon as you have a booking ref number

Yes you are allowed to prebook seats but you aren't allowed to select your seat number until 28 days before travel unless you pay another premium on top of the pre-book one.
Yes your right Shirley, although the extra fee is vey reasonable (£6 each way, long haul) so worth it to get the seats you want.
We only paid the pre book fee to choose our seat numbers (£20 pp) but had to re pay (if that makes sense) with TC airlines direct as couldnt select seat numbers yet even though Id payed to prebook with the agent. Very strange to be honest but as we still have the balance to pay, the agent was happy to put the fee we'd payed with them to prebook seats off of our balance so we didnt pay twice. Dont know why you can choose seat numbers when you prebook with one but not the other :que
Well i didn't think i would ever do this but i have after being first to book in last year and being split up which we didn't notice until we had walked away from check in desk ....booked our seats yesterday for our flight to zante
Ooh can we do it already llindy? Have you pre booked seat numbers or just selected seats together?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.